Fancyarcher

Weekend #'s April 18-20 Cap2: 26.2 Rio 22.5 Heaven 21.5 Trans 11.1 pg32

Dom crowd is such a disappointment on some movies what's their beef ?Transcendence looks like such a cool movie if you're into that sort of stuff but I guess they're not I refuse to think the movie sucks of course I have no clue as I haven't seen it yetBut if this is getting lukewarm response , I wonder what that means for my other fav trailer godzilla eek

Original Sci-Fi is a tough sell and the fact that it was getting bad reviews and bad WoM doomed it.

Great friday drop for Cap!

$25m weekend would be great, should be nearing $230m by next Sunday.

edit: Having 2 $200m+ films before May 1st is a rare feat, even adjusted. 

Only 3 times in history

2014: The LEGO Movie and CA: Winter Soldier

2012: The Hunger Games and The Lorax

1997: Liar Liar and Star Wars SE

Of course, there's also the December holdovers going by calendar Jaunary-April grosses

2010: Avatar and Alice

2002: Ice Age, A Beautiful Mind, FOTR

1998: Titanic, Good Will Hunting, As Good As It Gets (all December 97)

1991: Home Alone, Silence of the Lambs, Dances With Wolves

1982: Raiders, On Golden Pond, Arthur (all December 81)

Edited by cory
  • Like 5

1997: Liar Liar and Star Wars SE

Good times! I remember seeing the SE down in Mexico while on vacation with my grandparents. Only film I've seen out of the country. It was in English with Spanish subtitles, which helped.

If we are looking at Transcendence only making a total of about 30 domestic, what do you think it will have to make overseas in order to break even given its big budget?

Considering the $100M budget, it probably needs around $200M worldwide. So it's gonna need A LOT from overseas.

• Like 1

Good times! I remember seeing the SE down in Mexico while on vacation with my grandparents. Only film I've seen out of the country. It was in English with Spanish subtitles, which helped.

the SE was only like the the 3rd live action film I saw in theatres (I think 101 Dalmatians and Matilda before that?), great experience even though I didn't know any better about the changes.

With no Harry Potter or Batman, Warner Brothers is fucked.

Yes, that billion dollar Hobbit franchise is a money bleeder for sure.

• Like 1

Jupiter Ascending might be good but it wont make anything

Jupiter Ascending looks like it has the exact opposite of GA appeal. It looks like the type of sci-fi movie that sends most of the GA running away. It's only GA appeal is in it's stars. And if you base it's boxoffice prospects on those 2 things alone, it should come in well under White House Down.

• Like 3

With no Harry Potter or Batman, Warner Brothers is fucked.

Maybe, they're going to try their luck with a King Arthur film series.  Right cast, marketing, and not just a rehash of past adaptions could be lucrative for WB.

Jupiter Ascending looks like it has the exact opposite of GA appeal. It looks like the type of sci-fi movie that sends most of the GA running away. It's only GA appeal is in it's stars. And if you base it's boxoffice prospects on those 2 things alone, it should come in well under White House Down.

Yeah, as much as I admired the trailer for being SO balls to the wall sci-fi, I can't imagine it looking appealing to most audiences. Plus if Apes really hits hard, that's gonna suck up a lot of second weekend oxygen. 

Estimates confirm this is Cap's weekend. Rio 2 holding well. Heaven with a strong number. LOL at Transcendence and Haunted House 2.

EDIT: Just realized it costed 4M and now this one is being release OS, while the other wasn't with the exception of 2 or 3 markets. A Haunted House 3 is coming, then.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 3