superstancer

Tom Cruise Factor

Due To toms belief in Scientology....his fan base has considerably decreased in USA this is wat certain websites said!! Is it true??

In India for instance for certain actors thers a separate fan base in certain ciruits due to the kind of films they make or they belong to tat particular place!!!!!

likewise in USA too Tom has such fan base in any of the states where ther are more scientologists ????

Many people in my age group here consider Cruise obnoxious, smary, and a bit weird, so yea, his reputation isn't the highest, and outside of MI:4, the box office results back it up. Scientology isn't the only reason, but it is the main one. And he's STILL one of the biggest, most reliable draws in American movies. 

He has been  relatively downhill since 2005 (he had the couch incident in May 2005), a month before War of the Worlds released.

I think he reached a peak with that movie(at least ow wise / also his highest grossing film non-adjusted).

These are the domestic grosses of his films since A Few Good Men(which started an amazing and consistent run) before and after the incident:

89m

80m

38.5m

209m

76m

83m

15m

134m

234m

101m

111m

132m

101m

215m

56m

154m

181m

105m

158m

141m

If we see adjusted grosses then the drop would be more remarkable. MI would be 300+, Few Good Men 250+ etc.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 3

Although his personal life has obviously effected his career, I will say that many of his recent films have done worse than they should have for completely different reasons.

For example, the advertising material (excluding trailers) for Knight and Day didn't even show Tom Cruise or Cameron Diaz. Just two silhouettes which would have been good for a teaser poster, but not for the main marketing push. The ads overseas, where it did quite well, were reminiscent of the blu-ray cover with Cruise and Diaz on a motorcycle with guns. I mean, how do you have two stars that you are paying top dollar for and not put them on the poster? Likely for PR reasons, but they were wrong.

Oblivion should have opened on the fist week of April and not the third. I don't know what Universal was thinking, they should have definitely swapped the Jurassic Park 3D re-release with Oblivion which got destroyed by Iron Man 3. Also, even though Reacher came soon after his divorce, the title did turn people off especially after a film like John Carter which also had a somewhat meaningless and boring title that meant nothing to audiences.

I am one of the few who like him still but his recent comments on the military are quite questionable. Still he isn't terrible or anything as most say. And he is far from the worse, he is just a easy target.

BTW-welcome to the forms!

I am one of the few who like him still but his recent comments on the military are quite questionable. Still he isn't terrible or anything as most say. And he is far from the worse, he is just a easy target.

BTW-welcome to the forms!

The military comments were completely taken out of context.