grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Taking down Deathly Hallows 2 to be WB's biggest movie ever

35 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Robbie is already pretty much A List. Harley made her a star and "I Tonya" got her a Oscar Nomination and established her as a serious Dramatic actress.

And  it looks unlikely that Venom is going to make Hardy an A lister, given the mixed reception it's getting.

What the hell are you talking about!? Since when mixed reception of a movie dictates who's A-lister and who's not?! (Suicide Squad got even worse reviews than Venom, and it was an ensemble flick, Robbie wasn't the only star). Hardy has an Oscar nomination too and Venom (which is non-ensemble movie with him in the lead role and was marketed by his name) will make a lot of money. He also had the lead role in Mad Max: Fury Road and he's the only thing people praise in Venom, while Robbie didn't have a lead role in a non-ensemble big budget movie yet. Hardy isn't less A-lister than Robbie, his filmography is much more impressive than hers.

Edited by Firepower

3 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Well now you talking... not like before that Amy Schumer was suppose to play Barbie. LMAO

Uh, Amy Schumer was cast when the plot was about a Barbie who was kicked out of Barbieland for being not perfect enough.

For which, visually at least, Schumer was perfect.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

What the hell are you talking about!? Since when mixed reception of a movie dictates who's A-lister and who's not?! (Suicide Squad got even worse reviews than Venom, and it was an ensemble flick, Robbie wasn't the only star). Hardy has an Oscar nomination too and Venom is going to make a lot of money. He also had the lead role in Mad Max: Fury Road and he's the only thing people praise in Venom, while Robbie didn't have the lead role in non-ensemble big budget movie yet. Hardy isn't less A-lister than Robbie, his filmography is much more impressive than hers.

Looks as if I angered a Hardy fanboy......

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

UPDATE

lmao

The only way this would work is if it's got some sort of super clever meta script.

You either hit it out of the part with one of the most clever satires of all time, of it's a big steaming pile. I doubt there's much middle ground.

48 minutes ago, kitik said:

The only way this would work is if it's got some sort of super clever meta script.

You either hit it out of the part with one of the most clever satires of all time, of it's a big steaming pile. I doubt there's much middle ground.

The Initial "Imperfect Barbie gets kicked out of Barbieland" script was going to be..or at least try to be...a really clever script. With that apparently gone, I suspect the big steamping pile script is what we will get.

WHen a studio basically sells off a troubled project to another studio, that usually not a good sign.

1 hour ago, NickDisney13 said:

Pulled Off the May 8th, 2020, New Release Date TBA

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=changes&p=.htm

And Barbie goes to Development Hell.........

Warners clearly has no idea of what to do with this.

SONY is happy they were able to pass this very troubled project on to another studio, and get reimbursed the development costs..that is standard when a studio sells off a project. Good deal for Sony, not so good for Warners.

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And Barbie goes to Development Hell.........

Warners clearly has no idea of what to do with this.

SONY is happy they were able to pass this very troubled project on to another studio, and get reimbursed the development costs..that is standard when a studio sells off a project. Good deal for Sony, not so good for Warners.

That's not what happened here though. Here it's more akin to the rights reverting to the rights holder which was Hasbro and them choosing a new studio. No idea what the developmental costs deal was between Hasbro and Sony but I doubt WB was involved in that discussion

In January, Sony pushed the pic's release date from Aug. 8, 2018, to May 8, 2020, but the rights to Barbie reverted back to Mattel a few months later, and it appears the toymaker has found a new studio partner.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

That's not what happened here though. Here it's more akin to the rights reverting to the rights holder which was Hasbro and them choosing a new studio. No idea what the developmental costs deal was between Hasbro and Sony but I doubt WB was involved in that discussion

Barbie is Mattel, not Hasbro. Mattel going to WB does make sense as they've made exclusive deals for some of their brands like DC (not sure about Wizarding World).

• Like 1

I do wonder if this will stay in May as there is no way WB can market three different films in the same month. I reckon either this or Scooby will move.

The partnership with Mattel makes me wonder if Masters of the Universe could be now be at WB