grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Taking down Deathly Hallows 2 to be WB's biggest movie ever

Between this and Babylon, Margot Robbie has the most interesting slate of upcoming projects of any actor IMO. Her Harley Quinn era was dicey but hopefully that's behind her now - it didn't seem like the audience really cared about her as that character beyond a Halloween costume anyway.

I think she's been far smarter with her career than Jennifer Lawrence who focused on getting big paydays after she made it big. Margot's been seeking out interesting work with varied creatives and seems to be taking a more active hand in production beyond just being an actress.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

Between this and Babylon, Margot Robbie has the most interesting slate of upcoming projects of any actor IMO. Her Harley Quinn era was dicey but hopefully that's behind her now - it didn't seem like the audience really cared about her as that character beyond a Halloween costume anyway.

I think she's been far smarter with her career than Jennifer Lawrence who focused on getting big paydays after she made it big. Margot's been seeking out interesting work with varied creatives and seems to be taking a more active hand in production beyond just being an actress.

She also has Asteroid City this year.

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What's funny is that Margot still does VOD junk like Terminal. But what sets her apart is her own production company which seeks out cool directors like Fennell and Greta Gerwig.

Terminal was filmed 6 years ago. Technically it wasn’t a VOD film either. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 8:03 PM, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

WB dating it for Oct 2023 seems like a quick, wishful turnaround IMO. It's not even filming until, what, summer?

July but some of the sets from Part One are likely still up so pre-production work probably won't be nearly as time-consuming this time around with actor availability being the only real issue. WB, like Disney, does tend to shoot their movies two years in advance of release date so wouldn't be surprised if they're aiming for a Summer 2024 release as counterprogramming.

7 minutes ago, filmlover said:

July but some of the sets from Part One are likely still up so pre-production work probably won't be nearly as time-consuming this time around with actor availability being the only real issue. WB, like Disney, does tend to shoot their movies two years in advance of release date so wouldn't be surprised if they're aiming for a Summer 2024 release as counterprogramming.

Rest of 2022 for WB:

June: Elvis

July: Superpets

Sept: Salem's Lot. Don't Worry Darling. 

Oct: Black Adam

Dec: Shazam. 

WB's 2023 (as of now):

March: Aquaman

April: Last Train To New York (no idea)

June: The Flash

July: Acme

August: Meg 2. Blue Beetle.

Oct: Dune 2

Dec: Wonka. Color Purple (Christmas)

Currently filming: Barbie

Announced: What's Going On

Maybe Barbie is the mid Nov/Thanksgiving release? WB usually has one: (Flash was scheduled for Nov)

2021: King Richard

2019: The Good Liar/Dr. Sleep

2018: Fantastic Beasts/Creed 2 (MGM)

2017: Justice League

2016: Fantastic Beasts

2015: Creed

2014: Horrible Bosses 2

Nov 2023 so far:

3rd: Marvel movie

17th: Trolls 3/John Krasinski and Ryan Reynolds movie

22: Animated Disney

But this will be finished filming and decent way into editing by time Dune 2 even begins production, so who knows. They also change dates constantly. 

Just now, Krissykins said:

Both indies, they certainly were in cinemas here. 

But not in America, so doesn’t matter because both were seen as dumpy and low rent VOD movies without impact here 

Whats “indie” have anything to do with it either? I Tonya was indie too but not dumped. Bombshell also “indie” to some extent 

On 4/12/2022 at 8:59 AM, snarkmachine said:

JLaw was cast as Mystique before she was even nominated for Winter's Bone. Fox got seriously lucky nabbing her before she hit the big time. The Hunger Games announcement happened just a few days after Oscars 2011 aired. THG and her Oscar win for SLB in 2013 were what shot her into the stratosphere. Beyond the two franchises, she didn't sign any "big paydays" save for Passengers maybe?

Her getting stuck in the DOR rut of movies with diminishing returns and the X-Men franchise refusing to die were the combo that impeded her momentum. That and she tried her hand at real estate for a while which didn't really work out for her unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

JLaw was cast as Mystique before she was even nominated for Winter's Bone. Fox got seriously lucky nabbing her before she hit the big time. The Hunger Games announcement happened just a few days after Oscars 2011 aired. THG and her Oscar win for SLB in 2013 were what shot her into the stratosphere. Beyond the two franchises, she didn't sign any "big paydays" save for Passengers maybe?

Her getting stuck in the DOR rut of movies with diminishing returns and the X-Men franchise refusing to die were the combo that impeded her momentum. That and she tried her hand at real estate for a while which didn't really work out for her unfortunately.

I wasn't talking about Mystique, I was talking about Passengers and Red Sparrow both of which she got paid $20m for

13 hours ago, snarkmachine said:

I wasn't talking about Mystique, I was talking about Passengers and Red Sparrow both of which she got paid $20m for

Just 2 films in about 8 years isn't what I'd call habitual behavior. Also, both of those concepts sounded great on paper.