grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

It is very possible that many film critics might not like this film just like they did with TLM, I dont think it will stop the box office success of this film though. Having Greta and Margot attached doesnt guarantee positive reaction from critics. We really have no clue how critics feel until next week.

14 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm not worried. Critics, Film Twitter and influencers tried to sink Joker. It became the first R rated movie to make 1B althrough it didn't have 3D and China. It got 5 major Oscar noms - Picture, Director, Script, Actor and Editing - the only SH movie to ever get that many above the line noms. It won Actor. 

So yeah, I'm not worried. Bubble people don't represent GA,

I didn't like Joker very much (found it basically a dumber version of Scorsese pictures without the sauce) but it's wild that some pundits were predicting it could be a failure with general audiences. In retrospect it was one of the clearest surefire hits of it's year.

5 minutes ago, joselowe said:

It is very possible that many film critics might not like this film just like they did with TLM, I dont think it will stop the box office success of this film though. Having Greta and Margot attached doesnt guarantee positive reaction from critics. We really have no clue how critics feel until next week.

Nah.

That was the typical case of reactions from fans 20 days before to push the Sales and then official reviews 12 hours before. 

Edited by vale9001

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Joker, Barbie, supposedly unfilmable DUNC, WB excels at risky wacko projects. It's when they try the quick cash grab route that it all goes to shit. 

And Dune, mad max, Gravity, 300, the dark knight and most Nolan films, Matrix, Elvis and others luhrmann movies and so many others.

Warner is definitely the major risking more with big budgeted movies. 

Edited by vale9001

12 minutes ago, joselowe said:

You can't compare this to a rob marshall disney remake lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Nah.

That was the typical case of reactions from fans 20 days before to push the Sales and then official reviews 12 hours before. 

Fans and critics are two different groups. All I'm saying is that we don't know how official (non-fans) critics are going to feel about the film. We only have a piece of one review from a critic which is relatively mixed. It's been called a rave review from fans but a mixed review from other publications

One quote already has mixed interpretations

https://www.sportskeeda.com/comics/barbie-a-fun-ambitious-adventure-according-early-review

https://screenrant.com/barbie-movie-review-reactions-early/

Barbie only cost 100M. It's going to open above that dom and have massive OS launch. Regardless of reviews, it's going to be profitable. It also didn't try to target everyone but very specific demos so WOM among those demos should be strong. WOWS got C CS and had great legs cause audience it was for drove repeat business. Reviews were also mixed, 75% RT. Didn't suffer one bit.

3 minutes ago, joselowe said:

Fans and critics are two different groups. All I'm saying is that we don't know how official (non-fans) critics are going to feel about the film. We only have a piece of one review from a critic which is relatively mixed. It's been called a rave review from fans but a mixed review from other publications

One quote already has mixed interpretations

https://www.sportskeeda.com/comics/barbie-a-fun-ambitious-adventure-according-early-review

https://screenrant.com/barbie-movie-review-reactions-early/

Why do you insisting on filling your plate even so much crow to eat? Are you a binge eater?

14 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I'm sure I'm going to like Barbie, but of the big 3 coming out in July, it absolutely is the one with the most potential for mixed reception.  

I'd hope so, but I think Gerwig feels a lot more reliable RT-wise than Nolan, especially because of how delicate the latter's subject matter is in comparison. I'd love Oppenheimer to get Dunkirk-like reception with a 90+ metascore, but Interstellar and Tenet already proved he's not infallible critically (though they both performed surprisingly better on MC than RT)

rn I guess Mission is the clear front-runner, but i could see Barbie hitting 92% on RT and I'd hope for a similar score on Oppenheimer - but I could see a 78-80% too.

7 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

The movie was rated PG-13.

I am aware of that, was asking in the sense of them taking the skeleton of the pg-cut and turning it into a hypothetical pg-13 final product, instead of using the "real" pg-13 cut that they test screened to very positive reception

a kind of trying to get the best of both worlds gone wrong

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

10 minutes ago, TMP said:

I'd hope so, but I think Gerwig feels a lot more reliable RT-wise than Nolan, especially because of how delicate the latter's subject matter is in comparison. I'd love Oppenheimer to get Dunkirk-like reception with a 90+ metascore, but Interstellar and Tenet already proved he's not infallible critically (though they both performed surprisingly better on MC than RT)

rn I guess Mission is the clear front-runner, but i could see Barbie hitting 92% on RT and I'd hope for a similar score on Oppenheimer - but I could see a 78-80% too.

I guess I should mention that I'm mostly talking about audience reception?  

I think she is taking a huge swing and it's awesome and some people are going to love it, but that swing might turn others off.   

But also as many have already stated, it won't really matter because it's going to make so much opening weekend.

Edited by Deep Wang

35 minutes ago, TMP said:

It's pretty rare that Matt Damon is in a bad movie though. I am not saying it doesn't happen but his filmography is like really good and consistent when it comes to critical acclaim. The only real stinkers are his Clooney directed films which I am assuming he did only because they are friends. People are giving Ryan Gosling all of this credit for almost never picking bad movies. But Matt Damon is like that too. I feel really confident that Oppenheimer is good.

Also, it is easy to be reliable when you have only directed two movies by yourself in the past. Damien Chazelle was also super reliable until Babylon. David O Russell consistently got critical acclaim until Amsterdam.

Edited by MotionPictured
  • Like 1