grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

1 hour ago, Redolent said:

Err no, I said the exact opposite. You’re so gunning to fight people about this movie that you’re misreading things.

It’s guaranteed to turn a profit, but it will still need good WOM / legs - even if not critical acclaim  -in order to make the big money people are hoping for. 

200w.gif?cid=790b7611zhde3qh60omgcpvpe3r

• Like 1

it's because you all understimate this movie from minute 1

-before it was also internet stuff and no real impact on the gp.

- when it's clear people are interested and going to be like a 4 quadrant movie the problem is critics will hate it

- when seems like critics and first reaction of fans will be great we have to wait for the audience reaction cause families we're gonna escape from the theaters

i got you're men and you don't like what you see but in the worst scenario this movie is getting an A- cinemascore cause it's daydream looking for an audience that exists and want exacty what the movie seems. 

just because every fast and furious movie for me seems like an F cinemascore nightmare already from the trailer I don't act like people going to watch it are going to give it an F cause it's not my cup of tea. 

Edited by vale9001

Why ABC, a Disney owned Channel, is so hard on the promotion of this?.

Next week they have also an entire week of anticipations and interviews during good morning america, already called "GMA Barbie week".

Edited by vale9001

23 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Next week they have also an entire week of anticipations and interviews during good morning america, already called "GMA Barbie week".

I'm assuming it's because they are getting paid for it?

6 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I'm assuming it's because they are getting paid for it?

And they need the money?. 

Everyone has Money but usually you don't see Marvel or star wars episode specials on Fox TV shows. 

It's curious and rare especially today when every Major has a lot of Channels, their own streaming services for backstages and special episodes etc...

Edited by vale9001

33 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I mean, ABC does lean towards a pretty female-heavy demo (the target audience for this movie) with its programming.

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

The Bachelor shows air on ABC but are produced by Warner Bros Television, and many of the old seasons stream on MAX. On HGTV, they are showing a four part Barbie Dreamhouse Challenge that starts July 16:

But none of the Discovery cable channels run a live a morning show, and the big 3 US broadcast channels that do have morning shows are aligned with other studios. Universal is probably going to go all in on Oppenheimer on NBC and its other channels. CBS would probably push Mission: Impossible. That just leaves ABC and they could have declined since Barbie isn't a Disney movie, but everything about it seems to go viral. They probably figured, why not get in on the fun (for a price)? They can do Haunted Mansion Week a week later.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Redolent said:

More speculation in the comments.

Isn’t this totally normal? 

LA and NY will mostly see the movie from July 9 to July 13, which is basically the biggest markets and should have reviews ready to drop the minute the embargo drops.

Smaller cities and freelancers will watch it laters as always. That’s why nearly every movie have 60-90 reviews only out of +300 when embargo drops, most critics see it after the embargo drop

The complaining of Robert about WB doing screenings for these people at the same time of Oppenheimer seems valid to me but other than that i don’t see the relation of this with bad quality like people on comments are suggesting, seems standard.

Edited by ThomasNicole

The defensiveness in this thread is wild.

No one is even speaking badly about this movie but any comment that isn't implying "This will be the BEST film ever made and make a BILLION dollars" gets treated like we are haters that want it to fail. Nobody wants this movie to fail? Just talking about different scenarios, this is a Barbie discussion thread after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Isn’t this totally normal? 

LA and NY will mostly see the movie from July 9 to July 13, which is basically the biggest markets and should have reviews ready to drop the minute the embargo drops.

Smaller cities and freelancers will watch it laters as always. That’s why nearly every movie have 60-90 reviews only out of +300 when embargo drops, most critics see it after the embargo drop

The complaining of Randy about WB doing screenings for these people at the same time of Oppenheimer seems valid to me but other than that i don’t see the relation of this with bad quality like people on comments are suggesting, seems standard.

Someone mentioned that there is an Oppenheimer screening the next day when he chose to go to the Barbie screening instead. I am guessing that they are both before the release date, but if they have a deadline for review it may be a problem? I am not sure what the problem seems to be, unless they only have one critic screening before the film's release.

Seems like a petty move on WB's part? I am not sure.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

No one is even speaking badly about this movie but any comment that isn't implying "This will be the BEST film ever made and make a BILLION dollars" gets treated like we are haters that want it to fail. Nobody wants this movie to fail? Just talking about different scenarios, this is a Barbie discussion thread after all.

Probably not many people this thread, but there is already a cohort of people wanting this to fail to be honest. YouTube videos, Podcasts, blog posts and that's not even including those twitter people.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Someone mentioned that there is an Oppenheimer screening the next day when he chose to go to the Barbie screening instead. I am guessing that they are both before the release date, but if they have a deadline for review it may be a problem? I am not sure what the problem seems to be, unless they only have one critic screening before the film's release.

Seems like a petty move on WB's part? I am not sure.

There will be screenings after July 18 for sure, maybe not just booked yet. 

Freelancers are pissed because they sell their reviews unlike someone like David Ehrlich that always write for IndieWire, when freelancers have to choose 1 out of 2 big movies to watch, it mess up their possibility of sell reviews for both, it’s a very reasonable complain.

But in the bigger picture i doubt it will matter that much for the movie itself. Probably we’ll have the big outlets and bigger critics from LA and NY dropping reviews on July 13 and then some calm before another wave on July 18 and beyond. 

Is definitely petty of WB tho, these Oppenheimer screenings was booked weeks ago, WB booked then yesterday. Since Barbie is the bigger movie from a commercial perspective, they’re basically forcing these freelancers and smaller critics to choose Barbie first or even cancel their Oppenheimer screenings in attempt to steal some thunder from the latter. They’re taking the online feud to the real world.

Kinda insane they’re doing this after Zaslav said they want Nolan back lol 

51 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

And this person being bullied on the thread for not being super positive is on the room with us? Because i didn’t see nobody here being treated this way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

There will be screenings after July 18 for sure, maybe not just booked yet. 

Freelancers are pissed because they sell their reviews unlike someone like David Ehrlich that always write for IndieWire, when freelancers have to choose 1 out of 2 big movies to watch, it mess up their possibility of sell reviews for both, it’s a very reasonable complain.

But in the bigger picture i doubt it will matter that much for the movie itself. Probably we’ll have the big outlets and bigger critics from LA and NY dropping reviews on July 13 and then some calm before another wave on July 18 and beyond. 

Is definitely petty of WB tho, these Oppenheimer screenings was booked weeks ago, WB booked then yesterday. Since Barbie is the bigger movie from a commercial perspective, they’re basically forcing these freelancers and smaller critics to choose Barbie first or even cancel their Oppenheimer screenings in attempt to steal some thunder from the latter. They’re taking the online feud to the real world.

Kinda insane they’re doing this after Zaslav said they want Nolan back lol 

Yeah, it is a tough choice for the freelance critics. I think it is not uncommon for critics to have scheduling conflicts, but since these are the 2 event movies of the summer, I would imagine most would want to cover both.

Regarding WB wanting Nolan back, I don't think I would take what they say at face value lol. It was a bad breakup and a lot of money were involved. It's probably more diplomatic than anything to say stuff like wanting Nolan back? I mean Tom Cruise tells people to go watch Oppenheimer and just a few days prior there were reports that he was furious about the premium FLP screens being taken a week after by the two movies. Maybe just more of a thing that these people do or say to save face.

But it does look to me that it's pettiness that they scheduled both in the same day than anything. I mean, either film can be good or bad quality wise, but if they are that afraid of bad buzz, why not just set the embargo to be on the 19th or 20th? If critics are embargoed they won't be able to publish anything before then anyway. Wouldn't that be a more effective way in dealing with a movie that they know is a stinker? Rather than twisting arms in such a specific way like the Jeffs and Ruimies or the world are suggesting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

And this person being bullied on the thread for not being super positive is on the room with us? Because i didn’t see nobody here being treated this way.

Literally never used the word bully. It's just a weird defensiveness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

Because they want more and more people to watch Barbie, as they will run trailers of The Marvels and Wish with Barbie in theatre.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Yeah, it is a tough choice for the freelance critics. I think it is not uncommon for critics to have scheduling conflicts, but since these are the 2 event movies of the summer, I would imagine most would want to cover both.

Regarding WB wanting Nolan back, I don't think I would take what they say at face value lol. It was a bad breakup and a lot of money were involved. It's probably more diplomatic than anything to say stuff like wanting Nolan back? I mean Tom Cruise tells people to go watch Oppenheimer and just a few days prior there were reports that he was furious about the premium FLP screens being taken a week after by the two movies. Maybe just more of a thing that these people do or say to save face.

But it does look to me that it's pettiness that they scheduled both in the same day than anything. I mean, either film can be good or bad quality wise, but if they are that afraid of bad buzz, why not just set the embargo to be on the 19th or 20th? If critics are embargoed they won't be able to publish anything before then anyway. Wouldn't that be a more effective way in dealing with a movie that they know is a stinker? Rather than twisting arms in such a specific way like the Jeffs and Ruimies or the world are suggesting.

Definitely, it doesn’t make any sense. 

Is weird that those guys actually work on the industry, because even here we all know when a studio thinks a big movie will have awful reviews, they put a huge embargo on it. Shazam 2 from WB dropped reviews less than 24 hours before previews.

They can get it wrong, The Flash reviews while not awful dropped a week before and it wasn’t pretty … but we all know they was actually expecting good reception and box office for that. 

These rumour that WB knows this movie is bad and is making people sign NDA’s to avoid the bad word to spread seems ridiculous when we know they could just put a full embargo to drop on July 19-20 if they want. People are signing NDA’s because they watched the movie and interviewed the crew weeks before everyone else, that’s standard. I’m sure everyone who is under NDA will post their reaction tomorrow night once social media embargo ends.

It’s possible reviews will be bad, I’ve seen weirder things happen before, but if it happens i’m sure WB will be surprised just like us.

5 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

Literally never used the word bully. It's just a weird defensiveness.

You said clearly people is being mistreated here for not saying good things about it, this is bully even if you didn’t say the actual word, and this isn’t happening.