grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

Terrific reviews. It looks like we’ll also get glowing reviews for Oppenheimer, and maximizing the potential for a box office explosion this weekend. Very exciting!

While it’s early, with these strong reviews (with a high average rating), Barbie is maximizing its chances of being nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. The film looks like it will have that combination of being “smart”, a box office bash, and having cultural impact, that the Academy often loves to recognize. That Greta Gerwig is the name director behind it helps, too, as does some buzz behind Gosling, etc. Not a sure thing by any means, but its chances remain strong.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It should be a sure thing for major noms - Picture, Director, Adapted, Actress, Sup Actor. 

I would hesitate to say "sure thing". I'm feeling increasingly more comfortable about the potential for Best Picture, Screenplay, and Supporting Actor.

Would love to see Gerwig get in for Director, but as of now, I'm expecting: Scorsese and Nolan (would be surprised if either aren't nominated), and Jonathan Glazer, Celine Song, and Denis Villeneuve. This could very much change over the remainder of the year, though.

I think there is very little chance of Margot Robbie getting in for Best Actress, personally - but who knows.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

I'm shocked some of the biggest news publications like Time Magazine (who had the cast on the cover), New York Post, Wall Street Journal, New York Magazine were among the rotten tomatoes.

Although all of those publications also gave TLM rotten tomatoes.

1 minute ago, joselowe said:

I'm shocked some of the biggest news publications like Time Magazine (who had the cast on the cover), New York Post, Wall Street Journal, New York Magazine were among the rotten tomatoes.

I'm not shocked about the New York Post at all lol

• Haha 7

3 minutes ago, joselowe said:

For a good reason 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I would hesitate to say "sure thing". I'm feeling increasingly more comfortable about the potential for Best Picture, Screenplay, and Supporting Actor.

Would love to see Gerwig get in for Director, but as of now, I'm expecting: Scorsese and Nolan (would be surprised if either aren't nominated), and Jonathan Glazer, Celine Song, and Denis Villeneuve. This could very much change over the remainder of the year, though.

I think there is very little chance of Margot Robbie getting in for Best Actress, personally - but who knows.

Peace,

Mike

I agree except to say they may think twice about recognizing the men for all the big awards attention (Baumbach and Gosling) while more or less snubbing the women (Gerwig and Robbie). Might not be the best look for them… 

Anecdotal of course, but for some reason almost every single ticket from Wednesday to Sunday is sold for this in my Brazilian town. I literally won't be able to watch it with my wife this weekend because there are no two seats together available at all, which is really bumming her out.

50 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Terrific reviews. It looks like we’ll also get glowing reviews for Oppenheimer, and maximizing the potential for a box office explosion this weekend. Very exciting!

While it’s early, with these strong reviews (with a high average rating), Barbie is maximizing its chances of being nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. The film looks like it will have that combination of being “smart”, a box office bash, and having cultural impact, that the Academy often loves to recognize. That Greta Gerwig is the name director behind it helps, too, as does some buzz behind Gosling, etc. Not a sure thing by any means, but its chances remain strong.

Peace,

Mike

I'd be concerned with the Academy snubbing it in the same way they snubbed the '07 Transformers for Best VFX, only in a much bigger way. Then again, this is a different Academy, so who knows. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I agree except to say they may think twice about recognizing the men for all the big awards attention (Baumbach and Gosling) while more or less snubbing the women (Gerwig and Robbie). Might not be the best look for them… 

If Gosling is nominated, so will Robbie. They came as a package deal. Besides Robbie has already been nominated twice before, so it won't be out of nowhere. She will bring the star power and the camera loves her.

Yeah, Barbie brand was very lucky to get them for this movie along with Gerwig when it could have been just another throwaway toy commercial.

39 minutes ago, joselowe said:

36 minutes ago, roxas11 said:

I'm not shocked about the New York Post at all lol

Same for the Wall Street Journal. They're both right-wing rags peddling Rupert Murdoch's worldview (and Kyle Smith is a notably conservative critic who previously wrote for, yes, the Post). Both papers panning the movie is entirely on brand.

Edited by KC7

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

They nominated the white guy in Blackkklansman and ignored the black lead, I don't think they care

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

I'm happy for Ryan Gosling. He really need a hit. The last few years haven't been kind for him with Blade Runner, First Man, and Gray Man.

Robbie was always fine, now she can put Babylon, Amsterdam, and Harley Quinn behind her.

LOL The Gray Man, good grief.