grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

19 minutes ago, Redolent said:

If you make critics choose, then you’re going to get people who really want to watch Barbie, hence guaranteeing more positive reviews. Again, could be fear of negative publicity/ insecurity. 

That same logic would have to apply to Oppenheimer too then. 

9 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

If you're really really afraid of reviews you can have an embargo until the day of the release if you want. And even Press screenings Just some day before. 

They are doing them 3 weeks prior the movie and the same day as Oppenheimer, so i don't see any strange thing.

Then what you can say can be also true, nothing wrong to have a strategy to get more positive reactions you can, but doesn't mean cause they fear the movie is gonna be like panned or something this tragic.

I expect the critical reception to be positive overall, but it seems like WB are doing the same thing as with The Flash - feeding into this massive hype bubble of everyone who’s already a fan, aka Film Twitter. You get an echo chamber of people saying it’s amazing and it doesn’t tell you anything.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Redolent said:

I expect the critical reception to be positive overall, but it seems like WB are doing the same thing as with The Flash - feeding into this massive hype bubble of everyone who’s already a fan, aka Film Twitter. You get an echo chamber of people saying it’s amazing and it doesn’t tell you anything.

Tracking is at the moment on pair with the Batman and Thor 4. I don't think only film Twitter is already a fan of this movie honestly. 

I think at the end it won't open like these movies cause It's less families appealing maybe (but at this point Who knows) but It's clear already a big phenomenon than the flash, that really was a movie only for the fans. This movie Is way bigger.

I know the flash is recent so i can understand why It's easy to compare but Barbie Is really One of the most talked movies of the last 12 months, the flash really wasn't. Only DC geeks knew about that movie. 

Edited by vale9001

The thing with Flash is whether you think WB geuinely thought it had a fandom and crowd pleaser on their hands or they tried to create fake hype. If you accept that Kevin Feige genuinely believed that Eternals was Oscar-worthy and didn't just overhype that turkey knowing it was a turkey than WB was most likely convinced The Flash was that good and wanted to build the hype among fans first. So not all early screenings to select audience most likely to like a movie are sus. There's nothing wrong or unusual to target-promote your movie to your primary target-audience instead of trying to appeal to everyone and end up sending mixed messages that turn away everyone.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

The thing with Flash is whether you think WB geuinely thought it had a fandom and crowd pleaser on their hands or they tried to create fake hype. If you accept that Kevin Feige genuinely believed that Eternals was Oscar-worthy and didn't just overhyped that turkey knowing it was turkey than WB was most likely convinced The Flash was that good and wanted to build the hype among fans first. So not all early screenings to select audience most likely to like a movie are sus. There's nothing wrong or unusual to target-promote your movie to your primary target-audience instead of trying to appeal to everyone and end up sending mixed messages that turn away everyone.

There is an embargo for the ones at the yesterday screenings, so at this point It wasn't even such a strategy to sell the movie as good, most a way to let fans involved. In my opinion a strategy movie producers should do this more. Just talking about the movie Is promo, the fans invited at première before an official première make them feel special. It's good promo, It's a way to build a positive relationship. 

Edited by vale9001

3 hours ago, Redolent said:

From what I understand, the Barbie screening time was changed to be the same as Oppenheimer..

So critics will be invited to both, therefore Oppenheimer could get more critics who prefer the look of that to Barbie. 

They won’t just have one screening though. Critics will have several chances to see both. 

If they felt confident in the movie they would be inviting actual critics to the screening and not influencers and Film Twitter fans that will be nice no matter what.

But I can buy that this is WB trying their best to protect this film after The Flash debacle. The movie may be very good but they are overly concerned now because many of these execs also felt The Flash was good and well...we saw what happened there.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MotionPictured said:

If they felt confident in the movie they would be inviting actual critics to the screening and not influencers and Film Twitter fans that will be nice no matter what.

But I can buy that this is WB trying their best to protect this film after The Flash debacle. The movie may be very good but they are overly concerned now because many of these execs also felt The Flash was good and well...we saw what happened there.

I think you people read too much on It. The flash wasn't even this panned, on RT It has 66%. GP made totally panned cinecomic like suicide squad  or Venom huge box office hits. 

The flash is flopping cause people just don't care about It. No because influencers said It was good and then critics said It wasn't that good ( i don't even get what Is wrong on It, weeks of good opinione shouldn't help more than critics saying bad things the day before?). 98% of the gp doesn't know about all this thing, most people just didn't care to watch that movie and people going there didn't like It so It's dropping.

Edited by vale9001

In this forum people are so super hero movies obsessed. Everything became related to them. Critics will see the movie next week, like it0s for Oppenheimer, yesterday screenings for fans were something more.

They didn't change plans because some super hero movie made something, The flash flopped for a simple reason: people didn't care about it. Not because some failed strategy about tweets. 

Edited by vale9001

4 hours ago, vale9001 said:

There is an embargo for the ones at the yesterday screenings, so at this point It wasn't even such a strategy to sell the movie as good, most a way to let fans involved. In my opinion a strategy movie producers should do this more. Just talking about the movie Is promo, the fans invited at première before an official première make them feel special. It's good promo, It's a way to build a positive relationship. 

Hear hear! Not everything is a conspiracy to hide a turd. It's like deeming reshoots, which are perfectly normal thing that all movies and show have, a sign that something is wrong. Relaitonship building with fans is important. MCU perfected that. 

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

In this forum people are so super hero movies obsessed. Everything became related to them. Critics will see the movie next week, like it0s for Oppenheimer, yesterday screenings for fans were something more.

They didn't change plans because some super hero movie made something, The flash flopped for a simple reason: people didn't care about it. Not because some failed strategy about tweets. 

Umm, The Flash didn't just "flop". WB as a studio lost like $300m. That is a massive crater to their studio. Literally the day after the weekend's box office was announced, the studio head wanted to sell TCM.  There is no way they are not panicking. There is no way they are going on like nothing happened.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be concerned about this not screening for critics when the movie is still nearly 4 weeks away. If the movie is truly very good, I actually think it would be better to get fresh reactions/reviews close to release rather than have the hype peak too early. I'm sure the people in charge of marketing this film know what they're doing though based off how great it has been so far. 

1 hour ago, Fanboy said:

I wouldn't be concerned about this not screening for critics when the movie is still nearly 4 weeks away. If the movie is truly very good, I actually think it would be better to get fresh reactions/reviews close to release rather than have the hype peak too early. I'm sure the people in charge of marketing this film know what they're doing though based off how great it has been so far. 

yeah i remember the same conversation for Spider man. Some said since reviews were so good why the critics embargo was until like 2 or even 1 day before the release.

As you said since the barbie pre sales are already strong (like spider mans were) maybe they want the good reviews they know they can have just few days before to push the movie even more at the last minute. WCause in today world and on internet and social networks 20-30 days are a lifetime and you can lose a little bit the moment if you create the conversation 3 weeks before. 

It would make more sense if you need to push the movie weeks before to let people know about a movie, but this movie is even too much talked right now 😭

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1