grim22

Barbie | July 21, 2023 | Warner Bros | Margot Robbie is Barbie. Ryan Gosling is Ken. | Second most profitable movie of 2023

The lack of a proper press tour/marketing push for The Flash (for obvious reasons) has meant WB is able to go crazy and put most of their resources into this. Plus, this is just such an easily marketable movie. That said, there's definitely an aura of "we're all counting on you, no pressure" to this movie for WB's shareholders to do well given the crummy summer they've been having after Flash has become one of the biggest bombs in ages and probably having no need to visit a psychic to be told that Meg 2 (could fall victim to the "sequel no one wanted" curse) and Blue Beetle (already feels just as DOA as Shazam 2 was) won't improve their financial misfortunes either. But if anyone can provide good news for a studio that's been seeing mostly bad headlines these days, good reason to believe that Gerwig (and Margot and Silly Gosling!) will be the ones to do it!

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

The lack of a proper press tour/marketing push for The Flash (for obvious reasons) has meant WB is able to go crazy and put most of their resources into this. Plus, this is just such an easily marketable movie. That said, there's definitely an aura of "we're all counting on you, no pressure" to this movie for WB's shareholders to do well given the crummy summer they've been having after Flash has become one of the biggest bombs in ages and probably having no need to visit a psychic to be told that Meg 2 (could fall victim to the "sequel no one wanted" curse) and Blue Beetle (already feels just as DOA as Shazam 2 was) won't improve their financial misfortunes either. But if anyone can provide good news for a studio that's been seeing mostly bad headlines these days, good reason to believe that Gerwig (and Margot and Silly Gosling!) will be the ones to do it!

I wouldn't bet against Meg 2 being a surprise hit again much like the first. 

Barbie probably will end up being the equivalent of Gravity or American Sniper in terms of WB films where they became huge hits despite not looking like a huge hit on paper. 

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I wouldn't bet against Meg 2 being a surprise hit again much like the first. 

Barbie probably will end up being the equivalent of Gravity or American Sniper in terms of WB films where they became huge hits despite not looking like a huge hit on paper. 

barbie looked like a smash coming in the moment first photo from the set leaked.

It's one of the most talked movie ever on the internet. How can you talk about it like is a last minute surprise? 

Edited by vale9001

2 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

barbie looked like a smash coming in the moment first photo from the set leaked.

It's one of the most talked movie ever on the internet. How can you talk about it like is a last minute surprise? 

I personally a box office opening similar to The Lego Movie would be good. $100m seems a little out of reach,

Is it bad that Time Magazine’s Eliana Dockterman was granted access to interview Greta Gerwig at her Chelsea office and still managed to write this about “Barbie”:

I can share that it’s a fun yet self-aware romp with shades of Clueless and Legally Blonde.It’s also stuffed full of ideas, and occasionally overwhelmed by them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

Is it bad that Time Magazine’s Eliana Dockterman was granted access to interview Greta Gerwig at her Chelsea office and still managed to write this about “Barbie”:

I can share that it’s a fun yet self-aware romp with shades of Clueless and Legally Blonde.It’s also stuffed full of ideas, and occasionally overwhelmed by them.

no it's not bad since seems an overall good impression. 

13 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

It fits in with what we already know from test screening feedback and from cast interviews: that it takes on a lot of feminist, political and cultural issues. That it’s probably not going to be interesting to children. And that it might be divisive to audiences.

Margot Robbie: “by the end of the movie you’re not even thinking about a doll. You’re thinking about what it means to be alive in the world.”

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

no it's not bad since seems an overall good impression. 

For someone in the junket to say this, it’s definitely not a good thing lol 

And also the first official reaction and it’s giving 6.5/10 

Still she’s a top critic so of course that doesn’t mean everyone will react the same, i’m not saying that, just find it funny how she have access to the crew and the movie before mostly everyone and still managed to spend half of her little reaction talking about it being overstuffed and overwhelming 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

51 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The "is it bad" headline is from that "World of Reel" site right? The guy who's running the site seems so disingenuous about that movie. He would post unverified screening reports from his sources or reddit on his site to get clicks. Posting so many news items and pass them on as red flags, including this, where it's more or less a professional snippet without much implications of its quality, in a negative way anyway? Like stuffed full of ideas is different from overstuffed.

Anyway, I just find that site weird, but the way he handles these barbie "news" does seem to play to his base. And maybe he's too in the bag for Oppenheimer for both to exist in the same plane or something.

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

From the Letterboxd test screenings reactions

(jk) 

It reads like that to me, that’s why i said “it’s giving”

It's crazy to me how Letterboxd allows rating before a film's releases. There are so many 5 stars (and many half stars) from crazy stans or haters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

The "is it bad" headline is from that "World of Reel" site right? The guy who's running the site seems so disingenuous about that movie. He would post unverified screening reports from his sources or reddit on his site to get clicks. Posting so many news items and pass them on as red flags, including this, where it's more or less a professional snippet without much implications of its quality, in a negative way anyway? Like stuffed full of ideas is different from overstuffed.

Anyway, I just find that site weird, but the way he handles these barbie "news" does seem to play to his base. And maybe he's too in the bag for Oppenheimer for both to exist in the same plane or something.

Yeah he (Jordan Ruimy) is definitely rooting for the movie to flop while pretending to be neutral about its prospects.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redolent said:

Yeah he (Jordan Ruimy) is definitely rooting for the movie to flop while pretending to be neutral about its prospects.

At this point he's not even pretending anymore? But then why keep posting about it? I guess they get him clicks. Those screening reports almost certainly did.

6 minutes ago, Yojimbo said:

Yeah is Jordan, he’s awful and he’s very obviously rooting for this to fail because he hates everything that is “woke” 

Still in this case he’s just posting a direct quote from the article, that is the first official reaction indeed so i post it

the movie is barbie and ken making goofy things. Everyone has seen 4 seconds of the trailer can say for a 8 years old girl this movie looks like a perfect dream.

also: world of reel is a fake site. Articles about reactions are made up from zero. 

Edited by vale9001