Let's revive this. 

I wonder how much Guardians will make this week after the $455,691 gross in advance screenings last week (which I attended, loved the film!). 

Hey, a New Zealander, it's the first time I see someone from this country here, it was high time :D

Welcome :)

Posted Image

Quite a large opening for Guardians even after the previews might've taken some business. Bigger than Cap 2, ASM2, Godzilla and about par with Dawn / Apes. Only trails X-Men and T4 in openings. 

The Dark House, a New Zealand film is holding quite well which is a great sign. 

Edited by Breakspear
  • Like 3

Expendables 3 is out so I went to see Guardians again :) My theatre was pretty packed so not sure if E3 will take it down. The other two didn't open that big.

Guardians rock :D

So, do you have numbers for this market? Is that a growing market?

Sorry, I don't understand the question?  :unsure:

Russia :

Russia/CIS box office (excluding Ukraine) grows 11.74% in 2011.The Russian and the CIS box office(except Ukraine) set a new record in 2011, reaching $1.155 billion, which is 11.74% higher, over the previous year, when it estimated at $1.057 billion, according to Russia’s Film Business Today.

I'm just asking if you have the same kind of stats about New Zealand's BO.

Edited by Fullbuster

Oh, understand you now :)

The NZ market is kind of at a stand still at the moment. It increased every year from 2005 ($146mil) to 2010 ($176mil, a record). In 2011 it dropped to 161mil probably due to the Earthquake and Rugby World Cup. Increased again in 2012 and 2013 for 173mil and 175mil, respectively. 2014 is on par with 2012/13 but is higher at the moment due to Guardians (which has passed 2mil already).  

I think this year can beat 2010. 

• Like 2

Oh, understand you now :)

The NZ market is kind of at a stand still at the moment. It increased every year from 2005 ($146mil) to 2010 ($176mil, a record). In 2011 it dropped to 161mil probably due to the Earthquake and Rugby World Cup. Increased again in 2012 and 2013 for 173mil and 175mil, respectively. 2014 is on par with 2012/13 but is higher at the moment due to Guardians (which has passed 2mil already).  

I think this year can beat 2010. 

GotG easily held first place, only dropped 42.2% for a $692,936 2nd weekend. Second best drop for a big budget film after Apes. Total is now $2,708,579. Hundred-Foot Journey actually came in second for $362,442 and Expendables tanked with only $253,917. 

• Like 4

Lucy opened to $669,988, a very good number for a R16 film. GotG in second with $396,692 with a total of $3,291,103. The Hundred Foot Journey only dropped 19% to $293,612 and Doctor Who came in at $157,828. 

Edited by Breakspear
  • Like 1

Going into this weekend Lucy has made $934,998, GotG is at $3,414,377 and should pass Dawn / Apes and maybe even X-Men in the next few weeks. It still has a lot of 2D and 3D screens. 

Inbetweeners 2 opens this week and it should do well, R rated comedies have made great money this year. If I Stay also opens and I think it will come in behind Inbetweeners, since it seems to have less interest in pre-sales and less screens but could pick up. 

Should be a good weekend. 

Edited by Breakspear

Thought it would be easier to capture the screen this week  :P Posted Image

Great hold for Lucy and the best hold so far for Guardians. It's now passed Apes and will pass X-Men this week. Only T4, Lego and Dragon have made more this year. Should be interesting too see how much it's still got left in it. Good openings for Inbetweeners and If I Stay, though both are under similar films like Fault, 22JS and Bad Neighbours.

Also if people don't know, NZ weekends are four day since films open on Thursdays. 

Edited by Breakspear
  • Like 2

Thursday update. Lucy at 1.5mil and GotG at 3.8mil. Guardians is looking to pass 4mil this weekend and in the process passing X-Men's gross to become the 4th highest grossing film in NZ so far. 

Into the Storm opens this week along with NZ Horror / Comedy Housebound. I think  Lucy and Guardians will be in the 200k range, so Storm should be able to beat that. 

Edited by Breakspear