2 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Might be a snap lockdown in Auckland (will know in about 2 hours) so might hold off on doing a look at presales of that is the case as they will likely slowdown if we do have a lockdown. 

edit: looking at Wednesday night for Albany there is only about 10 tickets across 3 shows so far so not starting off that hot anyway.

and it is offical. Level 4 lockdown (the highest level) for 3 days NZ wide, 7 days for Auckland and Coromandel. 

• Sad 1

Got an email about my Shang-Chi tickets being refunded (obviously expected), and confirmation it'll be releasing on the 16th like it is in Aussie. Now, it seems optimistic to think that Auckland will be at level 2 at that point, but I can hope and pray I guess.

• Sad 1

On 8/24/2021 at 10:32 PM, charlie Jatinder said:

Why didn't What we do in Shadows do well in New Zealand? I liked it way more than Hunt for the Wilderpeople. I am watching Boy now, also more than this.

Boy and Wilderpeople were more New Zealand style humour whereas WWDITS was a horror parody so it didn't catch the zeitgeist as much. Boy in particular was huge with Maori audiences similar to Once Were Warriors and Whale Rider. 

On 8/24/2021 at 4:21 PM, Gamora said:

Got an email about my Shang-Chi tickets being refunded (obviously expected), and confirmation it'll be releasing on the 16th like it is in Aussie. Now, it seems optimistic to think that Auckland will be at level 2 at that point, but I can hope and pray I guess.

Yeah that sucks big time but probably the right call with Auckland in mind. I just looked at upcoming releases on Event and even worse is Dune getting pushed to December what the fuck! 

• Like 1

Another week of Level 4 for Auckland at least, then Level 3 (which is still no theatres)

Level 2 for the rest of the country still which means limited capacity theatres outside of Auckland. 

Going to hurt Shang-Chi here for sure, will probably be more of a Disney+ film for people here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Oh shit, we're back on the board:

Also, screw watching Shang-Chi on Disney+ unless I absolutely have to, idc if I have to hold out until after it's been put on for free, I'm seeing it in IMAX first even if there's only one goddamn showing.

Speaking of SC, saw an ad for it yesterday with the release date of the 16th with an asterisk saying "Excluding Auckland". 

DlZbXiu.gif

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Gamora said:

Also, screw watching Shang-Chi on Disney+ unless I absolutely have to, idc if I have to hold out until after it's been put on for free, I'm seeing it in IMAX first even if there's only one goddamn showing.

Same, hopefully nothing takes its IMAX run away (looking at you Bond 25...) but even then will watch it on whatever cinema screen I can. 

It reminds me of Raya where we were in Lockdown so I got the film on PA but loved it so much I saw it again in theatres. 

23 minutes ago, Gamora said:

Speaking of SC, saw an ad for it yesterday with the release date of the 16th with an asterisk saying "Excluding Auckland". 

DlZbXiu.gif

😭

• Like 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I thought Hamilton may be near but its a 80 mins drive. Even if Hamilton is open, don't think many will opt for it.

People are not allowed to leave Auckland anyway (unless they have an approved reason), so there won't be any spill over unlike some other countries have had in the past. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamiem said:

Same, hopefully nothing takes its IMAX run away (looking at you Bond 25...) but even then will watch it on whatever cinema screen I can. 

It reminds me of Raya where we were in Lockdown so I got the film on PA but loved it so much I saw it again in theatres. 

😭

I can see them splitting the showings if Bond didn't move (which it probably won't because there's nowhere to move to), they've done that previously with close releases. Would be stupid to give up MCU money, particularly when the entire movie is formatted for IMAX.

I waited for Raya until its theatre release but I saw it a couple of times there because it really was a good film.

And lol at bringing up Hamilton, don't think I haven't had vague fantasies about how I could sneak across the border to see SC. 😂 I don't have Covid, I swear, now lemme out.

• Like 1

I imagine it is at least a another month until cinemas are open in Auckland. The government just announced a 3 stage plan, the first stage starts Wednesday, the final stage allows indoor activities limited to 50 people but I imagine each stage will take around 2 weeks to be reviewed to see how the changes are.

Also as of Midnight last night no Hamilton (and some other parts of Waikato) open either as they have lockdown due to COVID cases there as well.  

Might be open with limited capacity for Eternals if we are lucky but Bond is opening at a bad time here.

Can the government start up with the vaccine passport already, we need to push that shit otherwise we're gonna be in this shit for too many goddamn weeks. The anti-vax fuckwits holding out need to know they're not going to be able to do things soon. Fuck's sake.

• Like 3

Gotta say, I'm glad I'm seeing BW showing in NSW when checking Event Cinemas, gives me hope I can catch Shang-Chi in theatres when they finally fucking reopen here. I don't care if I have to wait until after it's come out on Disney+, I want to see it in an effing cinema. IMAX is preferable but I'll take a regular one at this point.

Don't think I haven't thought of ways to smuggle myself out of Auckland just to watch it a few times and come back. If I didn't have cats to look after I'd seriously consider it. :ph34r:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jamiem said:

IMAX release for Shang-Chi seems unlikely at this point (might be split between Bond, Eternals and maybe even Venom by the time things open up in Auckland) but yeah should still be on other screens hopefully. 

Such a goddamn waste since it was entirely shot in IMAX. I won't hold my breath but they can usually fit in 4 showings a day for IMAX, so give them each one showing a day. B) 

At this point I'm just hoping we can get cinemas open before goddamn Hawkeye starts airing, I'm spoiler free but if they're still shut with SC and Eternals unwatched, what if there's something relevant we're missing? Then I'll have to delay watching the one thing I should be guaranteed to be able to watch. Boo!

ETA: I saw Eternals tickets have gone on-sale already, so no delaying that. It makes sense though since Venom's just a couple of weeks later, I can see why they wouldn't want them to go head-to-head. Just adds to my misery though, the rest of the country at least gets some small pleasures while we're still fucked.

Edited by Gamora
  • Like 1