1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Saw Shang Chi yesterday at George St. It's been getting Gold Class and VMAX sellouts since the reopening on Monday.

xXwSkl9.jpeg

Brb, forging essential worker documents and getting a covid test so I can sneak out. If I get caught I haven't used my diversion yet so I've got that in my back pocket. 🙏

• Haha 1

So, seems likely 29th November is when we can move to the red traffic light aka goddamn cinemas can open. Seems more likely than moving to stage 3 which will also open cinemas, but either way at least we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Will definitely be holding off on watching Shang-Chi on Disney+ come Friday and looking forward to seeing Eternals of course as well.

Plus at least we can have some certainty once we move to red since there won't be closures, just capacity limits. With NWH and Matrix Resurrections coming I don't want to have to be worried I can't see them asap.

• Like 2

3rd of December we move to Red light and cinemas can re-open, fucking finally. I'm gonna spend all night refreshing cinema websites waiting for sessions to go up so I hope they do. 🙏 I'm jonseing to buy some tickets, give 'em to me.

ETA: Reading Cinemas has a couple of sessions up for Shang-Chi, aww yissss. Waiting for Event but at least we have that.

Edited by Gamora
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 4:50 PM, Gamora said:

ETA: Reading Cinemas has a couple of sessions up for Shang-Chi, aww yissss. Waiting for Event but at least we have that.

Event Cinemas is up now, no IMAX for Shang-Chi unfortunately and only 1 session of IMAX on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for Eternals (same for Venom and Bond looks like those 3 are sharing the screen) 

Similar up here in Albany VMAX for Eternals but only regular screens for Shang-Chi. Will still watch both though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamiem said:

Event Cinemas is up now, no IMAX for Shang-Chi unfortunately and only 1 session of IMAX on Friday, Saturday and Sunday for Eternals (same for Venom and Bond looks like those 3 are sharing the screen) 

Similar up here in Albany VMAX for Eternals but only regular screens for Shang-Chi. Will still watch both though. 

Yeah, I pretty much expected that. It's just too crammed now with four other IMAX movies in release and then Spidey coming in less than two weeks after opening. Between it releasing ages ago and being on Disney+/physical release it was a given but still a bummer. Been a long-ass time since I missed out on an MCU movie in IMAX (outside of SMH and FFH I've seen them all there since GotG). Stupid lockdown.

Oh well, I should be glad it's getting a limited release, gonna have to cram in my viewings since I like seeing MCU movies multiple times in theatres. Probably gonna see it twice on the third, then again on the morning of the 4th and Eternals IMAX in the afternoon just for starters. 

Also people are gonna have to be on the ball to get into screenings more so than usual due to the capacity limits. Dune in IMAX is already doing the best by far, one session sold out already and a couple more incredibly close.

• Like 1

@Gamora tickets on sale.

Not going to track sales as social distancing ruins everything so comps are fucked but everything after 6pm has all the good seats gone for opening day at Albany :( (mostly due to social distancing)

Edited by Jamiem
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

@Gamora tickets on sale.

Not going to track sales as social distancing ruins everything so comps are fucked but everything after 6pm has all the good seats gone for opening day at Albany :( (mostly due to social distancing)

Haha thanks, I think I saw it just before I saw this notification. As I said on the Spidey thread, goddamn person who messed up IMAX making me lose sleep and then fixing their problem this morning. 😅 I'm just thankful I could get in with good seats, that's why I stayed up and was worried, this is gonna sell like crazy and IMAX is gonna be the hot ticket, just like Dune for the first week open is already gone.

And yeah, tracking seems pointless with the capacity restrictions. It's definitely selling well though, particularly at The Grand in Wellington. I like to keep an eye on that one since it's the biggest theatre and they don't have the 100 limit in this case so it's cool to see a lot of tickets snapped up already.

• Like 1

Luckily my mates are good with going during the day, so managed to get decent seats at VMAX in Albany but wow it cost more than I remembered, I swear last time I went to VMAX it was a little cheaper it could be the online booking fee as well haven't had to book online for a while. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Luckily my mates are good with going during the day, so managed to get decent seats at VMAX in Albany but wow it cost more than I remembered, I swear last time I went to VMAX it was a little cheaper it could be the online booking fee as well haven't had to book online for a while. 

I get standard tickets from my work for Event for $10, and then $2.50 IMAX upgrade and $1.50 booking fee = $14 for IMAX. B) It's the only reason I can afford to go so much, if I had to pay full price of $26.50 (plus booking fee), lol no. Absolutely crazy that VMax is the same price for a regular seat and $29.50 for the recliner, couldn't be me spending that much.

Funnily enough IMAX pricing has actually gone down, previously it was $16.50 for 2D and $19.50 for 3D using my work tickets and booking online. Now they don't do 3D but as above the price has decreased. Not sure about if the full price ones did since I never bought them and didn't pay much attention. I almost wanted to query why that happened but then I was like, why would you do that, just shut up and pay the $14. :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gamora said:

I get standard tickets from my work for Event for $10, and then $2.50 IMAX upgrade and $1.50 booking fee = $14 for IMAX. B) It's the only reason I can afford to go so much, if I had to pay full price of $26.50 (plus booking fee), lol no. Absolutely crazy that VMax is the same price for a regular seat and $29.50 for the recliner, couldn't be me spending that much.

Funnily enough IMAX pricing has actually gone down, previously it was $16.50 for 2D and $19.50 for 3D using my work tickets and booking online. Now they don't do 3D but as above the price has decreased. Not sure about if the full price ones did since I never bought them and didn't pay much attention. I almost wanted to query why that happened but then I was like, why would you do that, just shut up and pay the $14. :ph34r:

Yeah that is a great price I see why you go so often. I went multiple times a week when I had the cinebuzz student $10 tickets (I think IMAX was like $13 or something with the student pricing as well lol) and a free ticket every 7th movie was a great time.

I was going still going about once a week before COVID but will probably only go about once every 2-3 weeks going forward I imagine maybe a bit more often during winter and Xmas time though.

• Like 2

I’m kind of shocked how slow Spider-Man is selling for during the day sales considering older school students (and probably most in general I would think) will be off school by December 16th.

For instance the 6pm IMAX has sold out but even with limited seating the 3pm still has plenty of decent seats (12pm doing a little better)

E8-BFB844-AB21-4-F39-A494-4-BDDDC48-E427

I’m sure come the day it will sellout but unlike most of the rest of the world presales here seem solid but not record breaking, maybe there will be more sales tonight though. And honestly glad I didn’t have to deal with queues and errors when getting my tickets, so a win for me on that front. 

Will have another look late tonight and see how many sellouts for opening day at Albany and Queen Street just out of curiosity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jamiem said:

I’m kind of shocked how slow Spider-Man is selling for during the day sales considering older school students (and probably most in general I would think) will be off school by December 16th.

For instance the 6pm IMAX has sold out but even with limited seating the 3pm still has plenty of decent seats (12pm doing a little better)

It'll be interesting to see how it goes, I'd say lockdown/covid will have some impact, between people maybe being hesitant to be in enclosed spaces, and maybe people not realising they'll need to be quick with booking tickets due to capacity/social distancing measures? 

I imagine it'll eventually fill up but Wellington is doing really well. Although I suppose since their screens are more limited it's easier for them to sell faster. I just wish Hoyts and Reading were as easy to check the maps for as Event is, you literally just need to hover for them and they have number of seats available too. Reading is better since you only have to click on the showing to see seats but Hoyts makes you go through another screen.  Why won't they think of us?!

• Like 1

Should be late enough that not many more ticket sales will happen today. 

Firstly I noticed that Gold Class seats must be separated enough that they are not doing spacing all 30-40 seats seem available at both Albany and Queen Street, which brings me to the only near sellout in Albany the 7.45pm GC session shahid has 3 seats (out of 40) left. 6pm and 7.45pm VMAX are also very close to being sellouts (with social distancing measures) 

In total for Albany only VMAX and GC sessions are up and there is 8 VMAX sessions and 4 GC sessions so far.

In Queen Street both the 6pm and the 9:10pm IMAX sessions are sold out, the 12pm and 3pm IMAX still have plenty of seats remaining 12pm has sold 67 and 3pm has sold 42 (up from the 26 I posted earlier very slow going) I think max allowed is 100 in one showing. 7.20pm GC is also just ok with 26 out of 40 seats sold.

In total there are 4 IMAX showings, 3 GC showings and 8 regular showings. The regular showings are unsurprisingly not selling great either (wow have no sales or just a few tickets sold) with the exception of the evening shows (7.30pm and 8.30pm) in which the IMAX sessions are sold out which are doing ok probably about half full. 

Lots of room to improve here in the next two weeks.

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1

It's so great to be back at the movies, already seen Shang-Chi four times and Eternals once, with another IMAX viewing tomorrow. Holy fuck it looks incredible there, I was seriously in awe during the 1.43 scenes in particular. IMAX really is the shit, I'm so glad we have one. 😄

Dune is taking over all IMAX showings from Thursday onwards which is a bummer since I wanted to catch Eternals there a third time on the weekend, but alas. Can't even blame them for giving them all to Dune though, from the 16th only NWH has the screen and Dune has basically been selling out every showing. With the 100 limit they want to get it as full as possible so it's logical if a bit of a bummer for me.

Good news for Cinemas

From 4 April, My Vaccine Pass will no longer be required by the Government meaning Kiwis will no longer have to be vaccinated in order to enter those venues covered by the Pass. Scanning in requirements for the vaccinated will also end.

We recognise that some businesses, events or venues may still choose to use vaccine passes, so we will maintain the infrastructure for them.

From 4 April, vaccine mandates will be removed, except for health and disability, aged care, corrections and border workforces.

We also believe we can lift indoor gathering limits at Red with little material impact on hospitalisations, so these will double from 100 to 200.

Orange settings remain broadly the same with no gathering limits but extra guidance on holding safe events, and a new requirement for workers to wear masks at indoor events.

And so, simply put, Red means indoor gathering limits and masks, Orange means masks, and Green means guidance.

At all levels, the testing and isolation requirements remain as they are now.

Source: https://covid19.govt.nz/news-and-data/latest-news/post-peak-plan-a-safe-return-to-greater-normality/

Don't know if social distancing is still required but if not capacity should now be 200 seats for cinemas which is more than most screens, masking will still be around and no need to the vaccine pass (I Imagine both Event Cinemas and Hoyts will scrap that)

On a personal note I hope case numbers are much smaller by the time Doctor Strange 2 comes out, which is likely when I will next go to the cinema. 

I don't think I have had COVID so far, I guess could be asymptomatic but haven't been around any friends or family when they have had it, fingers crossed it stays that way as I would rather not get it. Luckily this recent spike has all happened during summer so apart from the last few days have had plenty of BBQs and outdoor meet ups with friends and family but looking forward to cases coming down and doing some things indoors as we head into winter here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

Don't know if social distancing is still required but if not capacity should now be 200 seats for cinemas which is more than most screens, masking will still be around and no need to the vaccine pass (I Imagine both Event Cinemas and Hoyts will scrap that)

On a personal note I hope case numbers are much smaller by the time Doctor Strange 2 comes out, which is likely when I will next go to the cinema. 

I think social distancing will still be a thing which kinda sucks, as it still means there's far fewer good seats to go around and will still limit cinemas in that way, as well as the smaller rooms, but oh well. I just had a look at The Batman for Saturday at the Embassy and social distancing is still being done so seems likely it's staying.

I'm hoping things are better for DS2 as well, it's hard to say being that we're going into winter but it'd be cool if getting rid of social distancing and limits was safe because it's been a long ass time since I've been in a sold out or close to it screening. Black Widow opening night is the last for me and DS2 seems like it'd be great for the atmosphere of a packed theatre, so fingers crossed. Impossible to tell with omicron though, so who knows. At least I won't have to miss out for months like last year and cinemas in Auckland being closed for SO. LONG.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Gamora said:

I think social distancing will still be a thing which kinda sucks, as it still means there's far fewer good seats to go around and will still limit cinemas in that way, as well as the smaller rooms, but oh well. I just had a look at The Batman for Saturday at the Embassy and social distancing is still being done so seems likely it's staying.

Changes don't start until 4th of April so won't know for sure what it will be like for a week and a half but yeah it is possibly that if social distancing is still in place it will not have a major impact on things for now. 

50 minutes ago, Gamora said:

'm hoping things are better for DS2 as well, it's hard to say being that we're going into winter but it'd be cool if getting rid of social distancing and limits was safe because it's been a long ass time since I've been in a sold out or close to it screening. Black Widow opening night is the last for me and DS2 seems like it'd be great for the atmosphere of a packed theatre, so fingers crossed. Impossible to tell with omicron though, so who knows. At least I won't have to miss out for months like last year and cinemas in Auckland being closed for SO. LONG.

Yeah I think my last packed cinema was Free Guy right before the Delta wave, I'll be watching Doctor Strange probably no matter what opening night (unless I have COVID or some other medical or family issue) but yeah low cases and a packed cinema would be cool. Spider-Man was still pretty hype even with 1/3 to 1/2 capacity but the pops would have been better with a full house and I think the same will be the case for DS2 

• Like 1