CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Let's pretend, for a second, I know nothing about projecting Fridays: what would 34m mean for the weekend total?

Id say 90 is a good number.

Pirates 4 had a 34.8m friday and ended up with a 90m weekend. Thought that was a (somewhat) interesting comparison

It had smaller previews though, back in the days when midnights were midnights

• Like 1

So it took 14 days for TASM2 to do what TASM did in 7 over here. Hmmmm. It is going to end with about the same as CA2, which will be lucky to get over 130000 tickets sold (the first sold 185000 tickets in the middle of the Summer). 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

I don't think so. TASM was met with a very mixed reception, and the buzz has never really been there for TASM2. Marketing didn't seem to entice anyone. But that's besides the point, it seems people have stopped caring for SM.

Nope. Give Spider-Man to marvel and watch it doing way over a billion$ worldwide .

Am I the one who feels that this Summer start thing doesn't matter anymore? This year we had a huge comedy hit in january, a blockbuster in February, 3 solid 100M hits in March (one for young males, one for the GA and another for families), a franchise starter that will end with 150M, a giant WW blockbuster called Captain America 2, and we had yet another family hit in April in the hands of Rio 2. It has been a very strong year.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 5

Am I the one who feels that this Summer start thing doesn't matter anymore? This year we had a huge comedy hit, a blockbuster in February, 2 solid hits in March (one for young males and another for families), a franchise starter that will end with 150M, a giant WW blockbuster called Captain America 2, and we had yet another family hit in April. It has been a very strong year.

A lot of years start out like that, 2014 has been meh so far IMO:

Compare:  
Year Gross* 2014

% change

% change

% change

% change

% change

% change

2014 $3,171.8 - +9.1% -4.3% +9.8% -6.7% +1.5%
2013 $2,908.3 -8.3% - -12.3% +0.7% -14.4% -6.9%
2012 $3,314.5 +4.5% +14.0% - +14.8% -2.5% +6.0%
2011 $2,888.4 -8.9% -0.7% -12.9% - -15.0% -7.6%
2010 $3,399.2 +7.2% +16.9% +2.6% +17.7% - +8.8%
2009 $3,125.5 -1.5% +7.5% -5.7% +8.2% -8.1% -

Well ahead of 2013 (won't last much longer) and 2011, but equal with 2009 (five years ago) and behind 2012 and 2010.

• Like 1

So it took 14 days for TASM2 to do what TASM did in 7 over here. Hmmmm. It is going to end with about the same as CA2, which will be lucky to get over 130000 tickets sold (the first sold 185000 tickets in the middle of the Summer). 

How much does average ticket cost in Portugal? Or can you tell me how much in euros/dollars CAP2 earn? :)

How much does average ticket cost in Portugal? Or can you tell me how much in euros/dollars CAP2 earn? :)

CA2 earned 664.117,25€ so far. 

For everyone to see, this is what a big movie should do: 895.917,02€, that is Noah's total so far, and should reach 1M€ soon. 

Edited by CJohn

Honestly, I think if it had the Marvel Studios & MCU label over it, that alone would suddenly change a lot of opinions.

I think the creative team behind it would make the films better.

• Like 2

I wonder. Do they have to use Spider-Man in a film, or any character from his portfolio? Cause if not, they can do a Venom movie, with neither hide nor hair of Spidey. Even if a Venom movie doesn't do well enough for a sequel, they can still buy themselves almost 10 years of Spidey cooling off. And if Venom does do well enough, even longer! Sadly, Sony is waaayyyy too desperate for a franchise, and in too bad a financial situation to really take a chance like that.

Agreed!!! That's what I have been saying!!!