CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Well, the midnights always had that character of being something special, a real preview. Going there at a time, where you should be home in bed sleeping, that's just something special. That feeling of being part of something special also survived with showing the screening on all of the screens at the same theater, but with playing them in the evening at 8 P.M. just totally killed the event in that and made it look like something everybody could have.

Edited by Poseidon

I've seen SW at midnight and I've seen the Twilights at midnight.  It's a great atmosphere seeing a massively anticipated movie, regardless of what it is, at midnight.

• Like 3

I've seen SW at midnight and I've seen the Twilights at midnight.  It's a great atmosphere seeing a massively anticipated movie, regardless of what it is, at midnight.

Biggest one for me was Fast 6. People applauding at the beginning, when Vin flied (here they also laughed and after that applauded) and at the end with Statham was INSANE. 

• Like 1

I miss midnights big time.  I'm really pissed that Canada took them out too.  We are not the US, we don't have crazed gunmen shooting up theaters.  I love the midnight atmosphere and I really hope they bring it back for SW7.

Yeah, I really miss midnights.

It was so fun to go to the theater and see that 5 screens were already sold out so you just got tickets to the 6th. But Thursday night my theater had Spider-Man showtimes starting at 7:00, 7:25, 7:45, 8:30, 9:15, 10:00, 11:00. 12:01, 12:01. It's just not the same. Especially since we wound up going to one of the later shows, and it was only half full. On opening night. That ain't right.

we don't have crazed gunmen shooting up theaters

That's got nothing to do with it, crazy people are still just as crazy at 7pm as they are at midnight.

That's not the reason for the earlier showtimes. I think it's just theaters wanting to have earlier showtimes because it's easier to staff at "normal" hours and they need fewer employees staying really late on the big nights.

Hell I miss the days when an event film opened it's first showing was that Friday morning

I don't. Midnights had way more energy than Friday matinees. Especially during a school/work day, it's not even close. The Avengers midnight showing was probably the best moviegoing experience I've had. Even going to see it again later that Friday and again on Sunday, while those were still good experiences, the midnight was just that much better.

• Like 1

FYI,

Man Of Steel was released with Walmart 7PM Thursday night tickets.

The rest of the previews were ALL MIDNIGHT. (In U.S.)

Yeah, I really miss midnights.

It was so fun to go to the theater and see that 5 screens were already sold out so you just got tickets to the 6th. But Thursday night my theater had Spider-Man showtimes starting at 7:00, 7:25, 7:45, 8:30, 9:15, 10:00, 11:00. 12:01, 12:01. It's just not the same. Especially since we wound up going to one of the later shows, and it was only half full. On opening night. That ain't right.

That's got nothing to do with it, crazy people are still just as crazy at 7pm as they are at midnight.

That's not the reason for the earlier showtimes. I think it's just theaters wanting to have earlier showtimes because it's easier to staff at "normal" hours and they need fewer employees staying really late on the big nights.

Nope, sorry, that's not it.

Midnights stopped after TDKR shooting.  There has to be a correlation.  

I don't. Midnights had way more energy than Friday matinees. Especially during a school/work day, it's not even close. The Avengers midnight showing was probably the best moviegoing experience I've had. Even going to see it again later that Friday and again on Sunday, while those were still good experiences, the midnight was just that much better.

I remember I saw Reloaded at midnight, got home at 3AM, slept for 5 hours and then went to the 11AM showing again.  You just can't replicate that with a Thursday 7 pm showing.  It's electric.

I miss midnights big time.  I'm really pissed that Canada took them out too.  We are not the US, we don't have crazed gunmen shooting up theaters.  I love the midnight atmosphere and I really hope they bring it back for SW7.

Midnight. SW episode 2. Yoda scene. Theater full of long time SW fans. Young me. Best time at the theater ever.

• Like 3

Midnight. SW episode 2. Yoda scene. Theater full of long time SW fans. Young me. Best time at the theater ever.

1000000% agreed.  My theater erupted.  Me included.  It was like being at a live sporting event and witnessing a walk off grand slam in the bottom of the ninth.

• Like 2

AOTC was the first movie I saw at midnight. It was an awesome experience!!People were in costume and waving around light sabers. It was great. I even got interviewed by local news as I was walking out, lol. I miss that.

• Like 1

Nope, sorry, that's not it.

Midnights stopped after TDKR shooting.  There has to be a correlation.  

Nope, midnights haven't stopped. Check the times I just listed above, they're still there for all the big openers.

Theaters used TDKR as an excuse to have earlier showtimes, but the simple fact that they still have midnights pretty much proves that it was all just a lie, in an attempt to make staffing easier. And of course the theaters are right, it is easier on their employees, and it's easier on moviegoers too (far less groggy Friday mornings). But it took the magic away.

Nope, midnights haven't stopped. Check the times I just listed above, they're still there for all the big openers.

Theaters used TDKR as an excuse to have earlier showtimes, but the simple fact that they still have midnights pretty much proves that it was all just a lie, in an attempt to make staffing easier. And of course the theaters are right, it is easier on their employees, and it's easier on moviegoers too (far less groggy Friday mornings). But it took the magic away.

Midnights have stopped here in Canada.  That's what I said.  :)

I have no idea what films have midnights in the US anymore.  They certainly aren't as abundant as they used to be.

OMG! I started a discussion, that involved you guys and that you could call on topic, if you are kind. Bless me, I arrived in this forum.

But i'm still not posting a gif, I need another 2 years for that. :P

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 2

I never saw a movie at midnight

I saw dozens and dozens, and I miss them.

I think my first one was ID4. (If there was an earlier one, it wasn't memorable enough.)

Coolest by far was Phantom Menace.

• Like 1