CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Are we just too jaded?  I guess a 90 million dollar opening weekend is good but there are so many other factors that go into what is good and not good....budget, previous films, the wOM and possible multiplier.  Would 90 million be a great opening for a film like Godzilla?  Nope, it would outstanding.  But a frontloaded sequel that cost about 400 million dollars to make?  Yea, colour all of unimpressed.

Yes. Any movie which can open to this mark consistently despite the heavy internet backlash, and the reviews and a supposedly weak franchise deserves better discussion around it rather than dismissing a 90M+ opening offhand.

In the whole summer, only TF4 and DOFP may surpass the opening (maybe Planet of the Apes, but doubtful). 

Yeah, people are jaded. It's like being unimpressed if a film only hits $300m. Even with inflation and such, these are hard marks to hit with any consistency.

Agreed.  But we all know that the multiplier on this one is going to be at THE ABSOLUTE MAX a 2.5.  But more realistically it'll be about 2.4.  So if it hits 90 mill, the ceiling is 240 mill.  That's less than the last one which means there is no growth.  So jaded?  Sure.  Realistic is more like it though imo.

• Like 3

Yes. Any movie which can open to this mark consistently despite the heavy internet backlash, and the reviews and a supposedly weak franchise deserves better discussion around it rather than dismissing a 90M+ opening offhand.

In the whole summer, only TF4 and DOFP may surpass the opening (maybe Planet of the Apes, but doubtful). 

But a possible 220/ 700WW total on a 400 million dollar budget doesn't sound like a great investment.

• Like 2

Agreed.  But we all know that the multiplier on this one is going to be at THE ABSOLUTE MAX a 2.5.  But more realistically it'll be about 2.4.  So if it hits 90 mill, the ceiling is 240 mill.  That's less than the last one which means there is no growth.  So jaded?  Sure.  Realistic is more like it though imo.

Call me jaded if you like.Call me unimpressed? Yeah, I am.
  • Like 3

Well here's the thing. If any other sequel was about to open lower than the previous one the focus in the media would be on it. That would be the story. So no we are not jaded. 

• Like 2

Well I expected more from a Spider Man movie. At least 100m opening. They can spin that 30% higher opening than TASM1 all they want. But the truth is TASM1 opened on a Tuesday so it made a good chunk of money before the weekend.

It's really hilarious also that they're spinning the May opening slot, which has been known as a prime spot for superheroes movies in years, as some kind of a big disadvantage that prevent the movie from opening higher.
  • Like 9

But a possible 220/ 700WW total on a 400 million dollar budget doesn't sound like a great investment.

That's not even double.  :mellow: Sure people can say Blu-Ray/DVD and TV sales all they want but still.

Well here's the thing. If any other sequel was about to open lower than the previous one the focus in the media would be on it. That would be the story. So no we are not jaded. 

Ahhh...but this one opened 40% higher than ASM.   :P

• Like 4

Yeah but see??? Sam Raimi's SPIDER-MAN movies were done a whole lot better than this reboot bullshit and would've opened ALOT higher, but like it or not, The AVENGERS Super massive OW really did raise the bar for al superhero movies to try and topple and you know it's true.. That's why a 90M OW seems pretty paltry in comparison to 207M OW and it's hard not to think this...

Well, yeah.Ok, sure, Avengers raised the bar.But remove that from the equation, were still not impressed. You know what also raised the bar? Spider-man 3 opening to 150m plus.Granted, yes, part of the reason were here today is cause...Spideman. 3 sucked. Edited by kowhite
  • Like 5

It's really hilarious also that they're spinning the May opening slot, which has been known as a prime spot for superheroes movies in years, as some kind of a big disadvantage that prevent the movie from opening higher.

Yeah that was ridiculous. But that is what they needed to say to justify it opening lower than Cap 2. Cap 2! A second film in a series where the first movie made less than $400m worldwide, lol. 

• Like 2

He was good. I went to see it totally blind. I haven't seen a trailer and pretty much read nothing about it.

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. Definitely will see the movie on OW.