CaptainJackSparrow

Weekend ASM2 thread: 92M

Robocop's somewhat superhero but not really. Robocop failed because it was a remake with bad press ala Total Recall. Also Transformers isn't Superhero. TMNT could be considered "Superhero" but even that's somewhat dubious. Jupiter Ascending it's superhero at all.

So.... I guess

High end: 35-35-25 = 95M, 2.5x multiplier for 235M

Low end: 33-31-21 = 85M, 2.3x multiplier for 195M

I put 88 for BSG, so I hope it is closer to the low end.  :P

• Like 1

I need Godzilla to do over 300M for BSG. :rofl:

I overshot TASM2 internationally ((Aka I forgot to edit it when I edited its domestic gross)) and if I undershot Godzilla domestically I'll never live it down. Then again if I overshot Godzilla domestically I'll never live it down.  :lol:

• Like 1

Turtles and Transformers I can see, but not so much Robocop and Jupiter Ascending. At that point, you're basically defining "superhero" as "action." In which case we throw in Rambo, Die Hard, Death Wish, basically any 80s or 90s action flick, The Matrix, Star Wars.

edit: To expand. That's just basic Hero's Journey type stuff so far as structure and tone. If humans were ever gonna get burned out on that, it would've happened some time around Gilgamesh, I think.

Well Tatumwolf in JA is definitely a superhero, and it seems like there's some chosen one/hidden powers crap to Kunis' character. And the Robocop remake followed every superhero origin story cliche to a tee.

It's not so much every action movie, it's every action movie whose story beats are obviously specifically designed to mirror the recent crop of superhero movies

• Like 3

31 guests reading this thread right now, lol.

All from SHH, trying to figure out how much it will make now.  :)

• Like 7

Well Tatumwolf in JA is definitely a superhero, and it seems like there's some chosen one/hidden powers crap to Kunis' character. And the Robocop remake followed every superhero origin story cliche to a tee.

It's not so much every action movie, it's every action movie whose story beats are obviously specifically designed to mirror the recent crop of superhero movies

That's basic Hero's Journey stuff though. How does JA sound any different from the Matrix in its broad strokes? Trinity was definitely a superhero with some chosen one/hidden powers crap to Reeve's character. Wonder if Sean Bean is the films Morpheus/Obi Wan/Gandalf.

• Like 1

Good movies will always find a way regardless of genre.If this movie connects with audiences like the original trilogy did, then it will perform on its own steam. I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't comment on its quality, however, that B+ Cinema score for a movie that's supposed to be a crowd pleaser isn't really an encouraging sign.When it's all said and done, the problem this movie is having is people didn't connect with the first one. The public just aren't supercharged for the movie the way they should and that's why it's having a "good" opening and not a "great one".It's not really complicated.

So that means Pan's Labyrinth made more than Alice in Wonderland, right? Extreme example, I know. How about Inception making more than Iron Man 2? It's not just being a good film, it's being more popular at that point in time(Being good doesn't hurt). It's like how sometimes an idiot becomes class president...or...President of the US. It's all a popularity contest. Quality does not equal popular or we would never be subjected to things like Vanilla Ice or Justin Beiber. 

• Like 1