Films

The Walk | Zemeckis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt | Sep. 30, 2015 in IMAX 3D | Wide Release on Oct. 9

Why are they cheap ripoffs?

Yeah a poor choice of word probably, what I meant is that I don t see the added value and the reason to do those films since the documentaries were so well done, interesting and powerful and gave justice to the personal stories of these two men.

But the movies may be good. I don t know, it s just seem all a bit useless maybe.

Edited by The Futurist

Maybe I haven't seen enough of his films but Stone has never been in his prime imo.

Zemeckis is still a great director, demonstrated by the recent Flight. He's just had a strange obsession with animation for the past decade or so.

Yeah a poor choice of word probably, what I meant is that I don t see the added value and the reason to do those films since the documentaries were so well done, interesting and powerful and gave justice to the personal stories of these two men.

But the movies may be good. I don t know, it s just seem all a bit useless maybe.

Yes, I agree with that. There are obviously talented people involved and I'm sure they'll turn out a quality movie... I'm just not really sure they'll be able to add anything meaningful, aside from perhaps attracting a broader audience since a lot of people don't watch documentaries.

Zemeckis is still a great director, demonstrated by the recent Flight. He's just had a strange obsession with animation for the past decade or so.

Production is a huge, huge grind and so much of it is simply trying to avoid or get around problems that arise (your tracking shot is perfectly set up and your actors deliver their lines great... but the lens is a bit soft, or some of the background players were acting stupidly, or maybe the dolly hit an awkward bump... etc etc). I can see the appeal of a system where you have total control over everything.

• Like 2

Production is a huge, huge grind and so much of it is simply trying to avoid or get around problems that arise (your tracking shot is perfectly set up and your actors deliver their lines great... but the lens is a bit soft, or some of the background players were acting stupidly, or maybe the dolly hit an awkward bump... etc etc). I can see the appeal of a system where you have total control over everything.

Oh don't get me wrong, I understand the appeal. And it must be nice to be at a point in your career where you can just do what you want to do. But I just think going 12 years without a liveaction film is a bit strange. Not to mention that his films were more than a little weird in their visual style.

I can't be the only one who thinks this looks incredibly cheesy, right? JGL looks like someone doing a parody of a French person, not a French person.

Zem has always been pretty corny, but he usually delivers on the entertainment front.

@hitRECjoe: Just saw the (almost) final cut of The Walk. My goodness, Robert Zemeckis knows how to make a movie. Really proud of it. @TheWalkMovie

Wow that's really shocking news that Robert Zemeckis knows how to make a movie. But in all seriousness, I think the movie will be great too.