Films

The Walk | Zemeckis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt | Sep. 30, 2015 in IMAX 3D | Wide Release on Oct. 9

THIS LOOKS SO POINTLESS. Very little entertainment value, IMO.

Also, it bums me out that he's walking between the WTC twin towers, makes me not want to see it.

You realize that's what the guy actually did, right? It really is a true story.

Has nobody here seen Man on Wire?

I know, right?

Phenomenal documentary. Everyone should watch it.

• Like 5

^obviously, but still, every time I heard WTC I think 9/11. 

The way you worded that sounded very condescending, by the way.

The way you phrased it sounded like you didn't know the actual story in a "why did they choose the WTC and not somewhere else?" kinda way. Apologies if I misunderstood you.

With that said, the story itself is pretty dang uplifting. It's about an impossible dream and then the great effort engaged to make that dream a reality.

The towers have been reduced in the past decade and a half to being nothing more than a couple terrible hours from which the US socially has been unable to advance from. There is a real need to have some contrast. To see that there is a greatness of human spirit and action that's associated with the towers, not just a monumental tragedy.

The story isn't something any viewer is going to see without knowledge about what happened to the towers. If that's all you can think of, that's fine. It's important to know that. In fact, it's unlikely that either Man on Wire or The Walk would have gotten made if 9/11 hadn't happened. The context changes this from an amusing historical anecdote to an important reminder that the towers were more than just that final day.

I understand that 9/11 is huge in the memory. I'll never forget what that day was like. But there's a need to feel more than sadness and loss about things. That's what this story provides.

Plus, Philippe Petit is a terrific character of a human being, full of contrast, so we're hopefully in store for some great character work from JGL.

• Like 2

The story isn't something any viewer is going to see without knowledge about what happened to the towers.

Equally, I think most people who see the movie will be aware of the original story.

Not sure I can bear to listen to JGL doing a French accent for 2 hours.

If the film is just an excuse for a 3D heist movie then fine - it actually makes sense for this story. But I doubt anyone who's seen the documentary expects it to have a similar kind of emotional impact.

• Like 1

This needs to move its ass over to The Martian's old release date ASAP

Sony already has a movie set for that weekend (the Seth Rogen/JGL starrer Xmas), so I doubt it moves there. My guess is that they'll go for October 23, which has nothing but a bunch of question marks at the moment.

Sony already has a movie set for that weekend (the Seth Rogen/JGL starrer Xmas), so I doubt it moves there. My guess is that they'll go for October 23, which has nothing but a bunch of question marks at the moment.

One week after Bridge of Spies? Hmmm... I don't know.

The marketplace can handle multiple adult-targeted titles doing well at the same time. It's been proven time and time again.

The Martian, Bridge of Spies and , The Walk all in a span of 3 weeks. I feel like they might do good but be robbed of their upper end potential. I think this should move to December which looks barren right now ( Outside of Star Wars)

London Has Fallen should definitely move though. That belongs in like January/February and not a competitive fall season where's bound to be overshadowed by higher-end fare, especially being what seems like an extremely unnecessary and unwanted sequel and alll.

Like I said in The Martian thread, September 11 or the first two weeks of December is the best place to move it IMO.

They won't move it to early September because it's already been set to open the New York Film Festival. Plus releasing it in December means that's 3 JGL movies (the other two being Xmas and Snowden) in one month. I doubt even he'll be up for doing all that promotion. Late October seems like a likely choice to me.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

Like I said in The Martian thread, September 11 or the first two weeks of December is the best place to move it IMO.

Sony has Perfect Guy on that date, trying to replicate No Good Deed numbers. I'd bet money that something will move there though, if i had to guess probably Black Mass.

• Like 1