Films

The Walk | Zemeckis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt | Sep. 30, 2015 in IMAX 3D | Wide Release on Oct. 9

I think both could be pretty big, they seem to be must see events on the big screen in 3D and IMAX 3D.

From a visual standpoint both films look great. They're also about creating a adventureous experience, which should be a big sell for both films.

From a visual standpoint both films look great. They're also about creating a adventureous experience, which should be a big sell for both films.

Well, Universal and Sony need to get their shit together if they want them to become blockbusters.

Edited by CJohn

I think the decisions to release this and Everest in IMAX early speaks to the shaky confidence levels of the studio in their financial prospects and hoping that word-of-mouth builds. As great of a year Universal is having, a Mount Everest thriller from the director of a pair disposable Mark Wahlberg action pics that has a bunch of respectable actors who aren't quite proven draws doesn't exactly scream "must-see event". Meanwhile, Zemeckis has a largely strong track record at the box office but this is probably his most low-key effort in the three decades since he became a big name director (most of his non-animated, non-franchise films are also star vehicles whereas this has...Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Doing a French accent.).

Edited by filmlover

It is like if Universal and Sony forgot to market these movies, hoping IMAX 3D WOM will save them. 

Or perhaps the movies are not easy sells and they recognize this and so they're hoping that word-of-mouth from the people who do see it early will help them out in the long room.

• Like 1

Or perhaps the movies are not easy sells and they recognize this and so they're hoping that word-of-mouth from the people who do see it early will help them out in the long room.

I am excited to see both. Everest only has 4 and a half days of IMAX during his nation-wide release. I just hope this strategy works for both of them.

I'm looking forward to both movies (especially The Walk, which I'm very excited for but Zemeckis is my leader so there ya go), but honestly, I'll be surprised if either movie breaks out beyond the expected, acceptable $60-80M totals. The Walk, going wide and standing a solid chance of getting lost in a very packed October, is going to be an especially tricky sell to mainstream moviegoers, a fact that Sony seems to have realized since they are opening it in IMAX during the middle of the week ahead of the weekend before the wide opening weekend begins.

• Like 3

I'm just way too excited for the next month and a half! This weekend = The Visit

Next = Scorch Trials, Black Mass

Next = Everest, HT2, Intern

-Martian

- Walk, Steve Jobs, Pan

- Goosebumps, Bridge, Crimson

By the end of October, I'm so curious to see which ones over/underperformed critically/financially.

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to both movies (especially The Walk, which I'm very excited for but Zemeckis is my leader so there ya go), but honestly, I'll be surprised if either movie breaks out beyond the expected, acceptable $60-80M totals. The Walk, going wide and standing a solid chance of getting lost in a very packed October, is going to be an especially tricky sell to mainstream moviegoers, a fact that Sony seems to have realized since they are opening it in IMAX during the middle of the week ahead of the weekend before the wide opening weekend begins.

There are way too many movies targetting adults crammed between September 17 and October 16. Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

There are way too many movies targetting adults crammed between September 17 and October 16.

For some reason it just hit me that we probably have this odd Fall traffic jam due to TFA. Nothing wants to be near that (or to a lesser extent Spectre and MJ2), so instead we're getting more movies with 100m potential crammed into the Fall season.

• Like 1