baumer

Neighbors (Bad Neighbours everywhere else) (2014)

40 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

The kind of movie that has its moments but ultimately is a film that you might not remember much about after you leave the theater.  Rose Byrne is the highlight of the film as she gets to let loose.  She curses and gets nasty and goes at it with the big boys and when she is allowed to cut loose like she does for half the film, it's a lot of fun to watch.  But ultimately, the film is pretty much one big party after another and it gets tiresome and repetitive.  Efron's character is never really developed and as much as they tried to give Franco's character some depth, it never really goes anywhere.  

It is funny but not nearly as funny as I had hoped it would be.  Maybe I'm spoiled because of TITE and maybe those expectations were unrealistic, but at the end of the day this is not a bad film but not one I'll remember much about.

7/10

• Like 3

I thought it was funnier then you guys but then I was never spoiled by the trailers so certain scenes were a bit fresher to me.  Rose Byrne definitely steals the movie.  It had some really hilarious moments but at times when the characters try to one up each others' dialogue it did drag a bit.

• Like 1

Good comedy. I loved some of the shot/lighting choices and there were so many moments of weird, dark humor that surprised me. Byrne is the standout and her relationship with Rogen is actually always engaging.

• Like 1

It starts out a little slow but when it gets going it hits hard. There's some pretty great stuff and the performances are great all over the table. The party scenes were very unique and I'd argue this is perhaps the most innovative cinematography in a straight-up comedy. There are some misses though, particularly the divorced friends... She was a total miss while he had a couple good jokes and then a couple horrible ones.8/10

Edited by darkelf

Neighbors: The film doesn't reach This Is The End highs but its still really funny. Everyone in the film does a good job, including Zac Efron who for once I could actually stand in a movie and he was able to carry himself next to the likes of Seth Rogen. This may not be original and it may take a little bit to truly get going but its still a very good time at the movies. 

Grade: B+

• Community Manager

Why did I watch this movie?

Okay, let me be more specific. Why did I watch this movie this weekend as I leave college behind?

Halfway through the movie, I realized that shit, I'm no longer a college student. That made me sad-and the ending with Efron's character working at Ambercombie, I was like....well fuck, I have to get a real job.

Anyways, it was funny and a good comedy.

B+

• Like 2

I really really enjoyed this. Best comedy since 21 Jump Street.

I really liked the whole 'growing up' angle that the movie took. The fraternity lifestyle might be ideal in some ways but as Franco mentions, at some point a lot of that stuff doesn't matter anymore, outside of the camaraderie you have with your brothers. But legendary parties and inventing beer pong? Who gives a shit in the end. It's very much an in the moment type thing and eventually parenthood will catch up with you in the end, and you end up like Seth Rogen. 

Also, it reminded me that Fergie's London Bridge existed. Which is a terrible song. But right when the 'OH SHIT' hit, I laughed so hard because of how perfectly timed it was.

Another random bit that I thought was hilarious was Zac Efron showing Seth Rogen his room and calling it the Lion's Den...but pointing to a picture of a tiger. Took me 10 seconds to realize that.

Finally, any movie that has a war between Christian Bale's Batman and Keaton's Batman is a winner in my book

B+

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

The kind of movie that has its moments but ultimately is a film that you might not remember much about after you leave the theater.  Rose Byrne is the highlight of the film as she gets to let loose.  She curses and gets nasty and goes at it with the big boys and when she is allowed to cut loose like she does for half the film, it's a lot of fun to watch.  But ultimately, the film is pretty much one big party after another and it gets tiresome and repetitive.  Efron's character is never really developed and as much as they tried to give Franco's character some depth, it never really goes anywhere. It is funny but not nearly as funny as I had hoped it would be.  Maybe I'm spoiled because of TITE and maybe those expectations were unrealistic, but at the end of the day this is not a bad film but not one I'll remember much about. 7/10

To me, there was nothing to Zac's character. He never went to classes and was just a party boy, who wanted to get on the frat wall, with a great party, and in the long run, he only became an A & F bare chested door greeter, who I think had to go back to community college for his degree.
  • Like 1

Baby did you fart? Because you blow me away.. Saw it twice Thursday and Friday both times very nice in my borat voice. Liked the whole cast! Shout out to Rose Byrne she was funny and cute mmmmm. Will see this a 3rd time before it's all said and done.. A

Edited by Johnny Bravo

To me, there was nothing to Zac's character. He never went to classes and was just a party boy, who wanted to get on the frat wall, with a great party, and in the long run, he only became an A & F bare chested door greeter, who I think had to go back to community college for his degree.

And yet, I found myself empathizing with that twinge of regret that Efron had. Efron cared about the most superficial things but there were qualities to him that weren't all so bad, see his scene with Assjuice. He partied, he lived his life, and in the end, he's paying for the mistakes to some degree. But he does genuinely care by the end about improving himself because he knows he'll have to grow up at some point. There was something about that point that really hit with me.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

And yet, I found myself empathizing with that twinge of regret that Efron had. Efron cared about the most superficial things but there were qualities to him that weren't all so bad, see his scene with Assjuice. He partied, he lived his life, and in the end, he's paying for the mistakes to some degree. But he does genuinely care by the end about improving himself because he knows he'll have to grow up at some point. There was something about that point that really hit with me.

Yes, his realization that he should have studied and gone to classes is his character changing. It's a small thing, but it's honestly more development than Peter Parker got.
  • Like 3

It certainly wasn't in the same league as This is the End or Knocked Up, but I still found it hilarious and thorougly enjoyable in every way. Very well-acted, very well-shot, and consistently funny. As a college kid who isn't in a frat but goes to a school where it's such a huge deal, I understood so much of both the humor and the drama from multiple perspectives, which made it all the more enjoyable. Definite recommend. 

• Like 1

Why did I watch this movie?

Okay, let me be more specific. Why did I watch this movie this weekend as I leave college behind?

Halfway through the movie, I realized that shit, I'm no longer a college student. That made me sad-and the ending with Efron's character working at Ambercombie, I was like....well fuck, I have to get a real job.

Anyways, it was funny and a good comedy.

B+

Don't sell yourself short.  I'm sure you can pull off Abercrombie.

• Like 1

What we have here is pretty much your base comedy.

It'll make you laugh for a couple hours, but in the end the story is simply not there.  

Not bad, but I wouldn't argue if the phrase disposable as fuck was used to describe this.

• Like 1