baumer

Neighbors (Bad Neighbours everywhere else) (2014)

40 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I thought the humor was freaking hilarious and on point in many parts while also fell flat in others. It's somewhat uneven.Really enjoy Rose Byrne and Seth Rogen's bantering. They have good chemistry. Zac Efron character feels 2-D to me but he did great with the material he's given. Dave Franco was good as well. Enjoyable but not really wow me.B

• Like 1

the good: 

consistent laughs.

strong climax.

good character work for a comedy. efron and franco surprised me here.

the bad:

lags between the middle and the climax.

some parts feel rushed and not believable.

a couple of weird off color jokes they could've done without.

this is not a feel good movie. the bad guys win. normally i wouldn't see it as bad, but it doesn't mesh well with light entertainment flicks.

Overall: B-.

Actually really liked this. Wasn't as funny as I thought it'd be but it was still a good time. Efron and Byrne were easy stand-outs but IMO Ike Barinholtz, a guy I've never heard of until the credits of this movie, stole the show. Hope his career takes off. Anyway, the script was funny, and the direction was fine. Good R-rated comedy. A

I'm dissapointed - every good joke is in trailers but my biggest problem: You just don't care about characters. At all. I love 21 Jump Street, I love American Reunion, I love We're the Millers... because characters from those movies are likeable. You want them to be happy and everything.

5/10

• Like 1

reasons to see this movie

1 the baby

2 the baby

3 the baby

4 Rose Byrne

:lol:

really wasnt laughing much tho cause most of the time I wanted to slap those smug college guys' faces for disturbing the little princess' sleep :angry:  :P

Edited by Tauriel

It's not as laugh-out-loud funny as This Is The End, but the script is tight and surprisingly soulful, and the performances (esp. Zac Efron) are better than I would've expceted.

Also it's only 89 minutes long which is ideal for a comedy, so good for them.

• Like 1

I'm dissapointed - every good joke is in trailers but my biggest problem: You just don't care about characters. At all. I love 21 Jump Street, I love American Reunion, I love We're the Millers... because characters from those movies are likeable. You want them to be happy and everything.

5/10

That's actually a huge part of the reason why I like Neighbors as much as I do: it doesn't go out of its way to make the main characters especially likable or the antagonists entirely dislikable. They're both in a zone of near-complete moral ambiguity, which is not something we typically see in a big studio comedy.

Neighbors is an underrated gem of the mainstream R-rated comedy genre. It makes the same "mistake" of so many where it becomes dramatic at points, but it fits perfectly thematically and never feels out of place. All four main characters (Rogen, Byrne, Efron and Franco) have well thought-out motivations and as such, the film is character-driven in the best sense. Stoller directs with a fun style that frequently utilizes camera movements and neat editing for heightened laughs (here's looking at the starwipe.) The dance-off in the middle of the film is a fantastic comedic setpiece in particular. Byrne is by far the highlight of the main cast, although all are pretty good, and Barinholtz manages to steal the show among the more minor characters. It's just a shame it starts really slowly and has a lackluster coda; otherwise, this could've been one of the greats. However, Neighbors still manages to be more than the sum of its parts, and is an incredibly memorable comedy despite its obvious flaws. B