A Marvel Fanboy

The Paramount Pictures Thread

I hope that Paramount survives; except for Universal it's the oldest studio still in existence well over a 100 years now.

Looks as if they are finally getting serious about a new Star Trek movie...though they seem to be going toward a continutation of the Abrams/Pine films  rather then a reboot. I did not care for the Abrams films much, but from a pure business point of view, what the hell took them five years to end up back where they started from?

It is dumb things like this that has gotten Paramount into the situation it is in today. Adloph Zukor is turning over in his grave.

Edited by dudalb

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Huh.  It's almost like streaming isn't the forever goldmine they thought it might be and theatrical revenue stream is going to be needed.  

The streaming market is already being flooded.

The real problem is the product Paramount is offerring for it's streaming channel does not sound very appealing.  I wonder why they are not using Star Trek, their strongest franchise, for a streaming offering.

I Now think just a few firings at Paramount Management won't get the job done; there needs to be a total purge.

On 2/16/2022 at 10:02 AM, EmpireCity said:

Huh.  It's almost like streaming isn't the forever goldmine they thought it might be and theatrical revenue stream is going to be needed.  

For once we agree; I just can't see how huge budget movies can get into profit from streaming alone.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 5:50 PM, dudalb said:

The streaming market is already being flooded.

The real problem is the product Paramount is offerring for it's streaming channel does not sound very appealing.  I wonder why they are not using Star Trek, their strongest franchise, for a streaming offering.

I Now think just a few firings at Paramount Management won't get the job done; there needs to be a total purge.

Paramount has like 4 different new Star Trek shows on Paramount+

Discovery, Picard, New Worlds and some animated show as well.  

24 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Two animated shows. One for adults from the Rick and Morty guys and a Nickelodeon show.

29 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

You're missing the other animated kids show they have.

Frankly in my experience the only people I've known to care about Star Trek are the elderly and people that were raised by their grandparents. 

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

https://deadline.com/2022/12/box-office-2022-marketshare-disney-universal-marvel-1235208981/

PARAMOUNT

2022 domestic box office $1.29 billion, +364% over 2021 (17% marketshare): The last time the studio crossed $1 billion was 2014. But Paramount had its best year in more than a decade with $2.6 billion-plus worldwide and the highest-grossing movie of the year and Tom Cruise’s best ever in Top Gun: Maverick‘s $1.48 billion. That title was responsible for bringing many adults back to cinemas for the first time during the pandemic. 

What they did: For a studio that was buzzed to turn more toward streaming with Paramount+ following the exit of former Paramount studio boss Jim Gianopulos, the studio stuck to its theatrical guns and bathed in a rainfall of cash. It had six No. 1 openings across several different genres, showing that there was an audience appetite for each, especially women with The Lost City ($30.5M opening, $105.3M domestic), families with Sonic the Hedgehog 2 ($72.1M opening, $190.8M), 18-34 with horror titles like Scream ($30M opening, $81.6M stateside) back in January, vintage MTV brands in Jackass Forever ($23.1M, $57.7M), Top Gun: Maverick ($126.7M 3-day, $718.7M) and Smile ($22.6M, $105.9M). While CEO and President Brian Robbins didn’t initially develop this slate, unlike other newly installed studio heads, he he did keep the current razor-sharp movie regime of marketing boss Marc Weinstock, distribution chief Chris Aronson, and Motion Picture Group co-heads Mike Ireland and Daria Cerceck in place. Robbins gets credit for pulling Smile out of Paramount+ after it tested well, enabling it to become one of the early fall’s few tentpoles. 

What they need to do: Similar to Universal, Paramount has to mine new franchises (it’s bound to have one in Dungeons and Dragons: Honor Among Thieves on March 31.) Will it be another 20 years before we see Top Gun 3? What’s going on with Star Trek? After appealing to a variety of demos off of 14 theatrical releases this year, it should continue to bet on theatrical. There’s nine more titles for 2023, the Melrose lot having theatrical on Apple TV+’s Martin Scorsese movie Flowers of the Killer Moon

2023 outlook: Scream 6 is part of next year’s initial rebound on March 10. There’s another reboot in Transformers: Rise of the Beasts on June 9, another Cruise vehicle in Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part 1, a hopeful new animation reboot in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem on August 4, to name a few. Will all of this emulate another $1 billion-plus year for the Melrose lot?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/walter-hamada-launches-18hz-productions-1235302214/

Former DC Films head Walter Hamada has kicked off the new year with the launch of his new production banner, 18hz Productions, and is making key hires.

Nathan Samdahl, the former Paramount executive who was instrumental in making the horror hit Smile, will act as the company’s senior vp, while Nick Romano has been tapped as creative executive.

Hamada transitioned to the world of producing late last year after more than 15 years in the studio trenches of Warner Bros. and New Line, overseeing the making of horror and superhero movies such as It and Aquaman. In November, his fledgling company signed an exclusive, multi-year production deal with Paramount to spearhead the studio’s mainstream horror movies. It has the goal of releasing several low-to mid-budget films per year across theatrical and streaming.

On 11/15/2022 at 11:24 AM, Eric is Missing said:

Nor surprisded. Modestly budgeted Horror movies are the safest film invesktment you can make. Enough of a core audeince, if you keep the budget low, to guarantee you will probably at least get your money  back, and if it can breakthrough to the mainstream you got a gold mine film on your hands.l

I’m taking a wild guess that in order to please pissed execs and shareholders that were upset that Paramount rejecting a $3bn offer for Showtime right before they chose merge it (shut it down) with Paramount Plus, they’re selling off BET