A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

4 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I haven't heard glowing reviews about what he does for the Parks. Hope other people can help him with the movie side.

CEO's job is primarily overseeing the operations of the company as a whole; it is not really a creative job;only creative decision the CEO makes is whether or not to greenlight a project submiited to him by the other divisions. Content creation is simply generally below his pay grade;that is the job of the division heads.. Which is why a number of Studio CEO's say they really enjoyed being the head of Production a lot more;they were much more involved in the creative process then they were as CEO,where their involemnt was pretty much saying "Yes" or "No" to submitted projects.

You can leave a hero or stay long enough to see yourself become a villain. Iger is leaving on a high note. if he forsees trouble ahead and doesn't want to take the blame, this is a damn smart move on his part. I mean, it isn't unexpected because he said he wanted to see Fox merger and D+ finished and then go which is what he did now. I don't buy conspiracies but he went on the record that he was interested in political career so that may be a long-term plan. But I'd say that immediate reason is that he knows this is his high note and he doesn't want to ruin it by giving himself just a year for some of the stuff to deflate. Nothing to see.

12 hours ago, Jonwo said:

Iger deserves credit for making Disney the powerhouse it is today due to making key acquisitions, before he became CEO, they weren’t in the best place. 

In fact in Eisner';s last years, Pixar's  contract was up and they seemed destined to leave Disney, because Eisner had alienated Pixar's management to the point where they where they made no secret that once the contract expired and they could go anywhere they were outta there. In fact the Pixar situation was a major reason there was a stockholder;s revolt and Eisner was forced out,to be replaced by Iger.

I think Iger is aware that Eisner stayed around too long, and ended up tarnishing his legacy at Disney and does not want to make the same mistake. . Irony is Eisner saved Disney in the 80's by his decision to start making films that were aimed at grown up by setting up Touchstone and Hollywood films,but his in last years was undoing a lot of what he had done earlier.  Hard to believe, but in the early 80's Disney was doing so poorly that many though a takeover and merger with another studios was a strong possilbity.

Edited by dudalb

Pixar was gone from Disney.  Jobs didn't want anything to do with Disney until Iger made contact and they built a relationship.  Iger even asked Jobs to speak to Perlmutter during the Marvel purchase about Pixar's experience after being taken over by Disney.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/09/bob-iger-remembers-steve-jobs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeCee said:

Pixar was gone from Disney.  Jobs didn't want anything to do with Disney until Iger made contact and they built a relationship.  Iger even asked Jobs to speak to Perlmutter during the Marvel purchase about Pixar's experience after being taken over by Disney.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/09/bob-iger-remembers-steve-jobs

I had forgotten that Pixar actually was gone for a while.

And I think, even with the Fox deal,that the Jobs estate is the single biggest shareholder in Disney.

Just now, dudalb said:

I had forgotten that Pixar actually was gone for a while.

And I think, even with the Fox deal,that the Jobs estate is the single biggest shareholder in Disney.

They sold a lot of it good while ago, enough now that it is not public anymore if they still own any.

Many other could be bigger by now, but by the time of the transaction:

la-fi-g-disney-fox-sale-shareholder-char

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/studio-profit-report-2019-disney-reigns-netflix-gains-1281114

Disney: Studio results for 2019 include Fox from the close of the merger on March 20, making it a tale of two companies. Led by Avengers: Endgame, Disney reached an unprecedented $11.1 billion at the global box office before including Fox, with Disney, Marvel and Lucasfilm hits galore. Overall, the company became the first studio ever to have seven $1 billion releases in a year. The plan for 2020? Getting 20th Century Studios on track and making sure such tentpoles as Mulan, Jungle Cruise and Marvel's Black Widow and The Eternals, plus Onward and Soul from Pixar, perform. "2020 is not going to be the same as 2019 for the studio," outgoing Disney boss Bob Iger told analysts Feb. 4. But given that Disney+ is a focus and that the company's direct-to-consumer and international unit, which includes the streamer and Hulu, saw its operating final-quarter loss rise to $693 million due in part to the costs associated with launching the streaming service, analysts will keep an eye on disclosures regarding its impact on the studio unit.

10 hours ago, dudalb said:

Disney announced the closure, throught the middle of March, of Disneyland Japan. 

The virus is doing a job on Disney.

I

Note to point out that Disney themselves don’t own or operate Tokyo Disney. Their revenue for that park comes from licensing.

Edited by cookie

I'm stressed out and I like to make mock Disney schedules to kill time, since I'm a very boring person. So now in our post-Roni society, assuming it kills off the summer box office...

July 24: Artemis Fowl

August 14: Mulan

September 25: The One and Only Ivan

November 6: Black Widow

November 25: Soul

December 11: Jungle Cruise (wynaut? worked for Jumanji)

February 12: The Eternals

March 12: Raya and the Last Dragon

May 7: Shang-Chi

May 28: Cruella

June 18: Pixar Joint

July 30: Doctor Strange 2

October 15: Hamilton

November 5: Thor: Love and Thunder

November 24: WDAS Joint

February 18: Ant-Man 3

March 4: Pixar Joint #2

March 25: The Little Mermaid

May 6: Black Panther 2

May 27: Pinocchio

June 17: Pixar Joint #3

July 8: Shrunk

July 29: Captain Marvel 2

August 12: Peter Pan & Wendy (yeah I know these kids aren't getting any younger...but circumstances will have to make them age up a tad)

October 7: Guardians 3

November 4: Aladdin 2

November 23: WDAS Joint #2

December 23: National Treasure 3

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Eric Lightfoot said:

I'm stressed out and I like to make mock Disney schedules to kill time, since I'm a very boring person. So now in our post-Roni society, assuming it kills off the summer box office...

July 24: Artemis Fowl

August 14: Mulan

September 25: The One and Only Ivan

November 6: Black Widow

November 25: Soul

December 11: Jungle Cruise (wynaut? worked for Jumanji)

February 12: The Eternals

March 12: Raya and the Last Dragon

May 7: Shang-Chi

May 28: Cruella

June 18: Pixar Joint

July 30: Doctor Strange 2

October 15: Hamilton

November 5: Thor: Love and Thunder

November 24: WDAS Joint

February 18: Ant-Man 3

March 11: Pixar Joint #2

March 25: The Little Mermaid

May 6: Black Panther 2

May 27: Pinocchio

June 17: Pixar Joint #3

July 8: Shrunk

July 29: Captain Marvel 2

August 12: Peter Pan & Wendy (yeah I know these kids aren't getting any younger...but circumstances will have to make them age up a tad)

October 7: Guardians 3

November 4: Aladdin 2

November 23: WDAS Joint #2

December 16: National Treasure 3

Are you gonna do one for the other studios?

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Are you gonna do one for the other studios?

It's very hard to predict other studios release schedule due to unpredictable nature. 

Disney's is very easy to predict in this regard. 

2to3 live action movies

1 in March

1 for Memorial day

1 in last July /beginning August 

3to4 MCU movies

1 in February

1 in Last April/beginning May

1 in July

1 in November beginning 

1 Star Wars and Avatar movie alternating during Christmas 

1 animation for Thanksgiving (likely Disney) 

1 animation in June (likely Pixar) 

Maybe animation in March 

• Like 1