A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

13 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Probably Fox acquisition , Marvel and Star Wars for Disney. Maybe Disney Plus??

o mei, I totally forgot their probably most expensive expansion.... 🤣

So Pixar, Lucas (incl SW, Indiana Jones, ILM,...), Marvel, Fox, and a lot of shoveling on the contracts side with tons of governments, local rights holders,... to get up Disney+

Hulu parts?

I think there were early buys, builds that did have impacts in comparison to the then sizes of company. I think at least the start/creation of abc, and the first park were major days too, or?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

o mei, I totally forgot their probably most expensive expansion.... 🤣

So Pixar, Lucas (incl SW, Indiana Jones, ILM,...), Marvel, Fox, and a lot of shoveling on the contracts side with tons of governments, local rights holders,... to get up Disney+

Hulu parts?

I think there were early buys, builds that did have impacts in comparison to the then sizes of company. I think at least the start/creation of abc, and the first park were major days too, or?

I'd say there is probably more than 4-5 big moments (I've got 10 major ones) but the biggest in order of them happening historically are probably:

• Steamboat Willie (birth of Mickey Mouse) [1928]
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (first big feature film) [1937]
  • Opening of Disneyland and using that to launch Disney TV [mid 50s onwards]
  • Disney Channel launches and expands in Television originals [mid 80s onwards]
  • Purchase of ABC and majority share of ESPN (which became their cash cow for many years) [1995]
  • Pixar acquisition [2006]
  • Marvel acquisition [2009]
  • Lucasfilm/ILM acquisition [2012]
  • Bamtech buy in (the software behind ESPN+ and Disney+ and probably the most underrated) [2016-2017]
  • Buying most of the FOX media assets and launching Disney+ [2019]
Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Bamtech buy in (the software behind ESPN+ and Disney+ and probably the most underrated) [2016-2017]

I nearly wrote to get a software & equipment system for their streaming services too, but forgot it during thinking how much man hours it might have token to confer with so many governments, right holders,... till all was cleared for the FOX merger, and added some of that as preparing for the streaming services too, how to calculate the split (and concluded I wont be able to do that)

Yep, I think I missed that buy in its details then, thank you a lot for adding it! I only knew they acquired ‘something’

(if not prepared for the details its a bit funny for its sports background)

• Like 1

The NFL is asking for a 100% increase in TV rights payments, but Disney is pushing back

"Disney agreed to pay $1.9 billion annually for Monday Night Football in 2011 — a deal that runs through 2021. That dwarfed the average $1.1 billion annual cost for Fox, $1 billion annual price tag for CBS and $960 million for NBC’s Sunday Night Football.

Disney has already rejected paying anywhere close to $3.8 billion per year for its new deal, said two of the people. Disney CEO Bob Chapek alluded to pushing back on the NFL’s asking price during his company’s earnings conference call last week."

Disney’s negotiation

Disney’s Monday Night Football deal is for more than just the games. Disney also gets highlight rights for ESPN, branding rights for shows, and — importantly — streaming rights.

The league has asked Disney to pay the same type of increase as its other partners because Disney is asking for more from the NFL this time around — including double-header Monday Night games, where one game airs on ABC, the Disney-owned broadcast network, the people said. Disney also wants ABC to become part of the Super Bowl rotation with NBC, CBS and Fox. ABC was the home of Monday Night Football until 2005.

Disney also wants flexibility in terms of streaming rights as the company considers selling ESPN as a direct-to-consumer product. The NFL plans to include streaming rights as part of each network package, the people said.

Further, the NFL wants to add an 18th week of regular-season play as soon as next season. That’s an extra game for Disney — and every other broadcast partner.

Spokespeople for the NFL and the networks declined to comment.

Source: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/19/nfl-asking-for-100percent-increase-on-tv-rights-disney-pushing-back-.html?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=Main&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1613769207

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1

I think Disney along with other studios would be making good You Tube money from clips that are uploaded by various channels.

Like this channel has 100s million views on Hulk videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClVbhSLxwws-KSsPKz135bw/videos?view=0&sort=p&flow=grid

There are many many more such channels.

I remember reading somewhere few years back that, 100M views on 3-4 minutes video roughly roughly gives $300-400K revenue.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think Disney along with other studios would be making good You Tube money from clips that are uploaded by various channels.

I feel like you need to have ads enabled for that, something they I imagine rarely not do for their ads they put on youtube (and they probably pay to boost those video signals), my guess would be a net marketing expense for them.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I feel like you need to have ads enabled for that, something they I imagine rarely not do for their ads they put on youtube (and they probably pay to boost those video signals), my guess would be a net marketing expense for them.

I believe there are ads on these videos. 

12 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I believe there are ads on these videos. 

I am not sure if it is something killing them possible (I am behind a vpn), but I clicked on 2 of them, didn't saw ads, those videos are publicity for a Disney product, adding ads before and in them could be counter their goals, do you see any ?

Edited by Barnack

3 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I am not sure if it is something killing them possible, but I clicked on 2 of them, didn't saw ads, those videos are publicity for a Disney product, adding ads before and in them could be counter their goals, do you see any ?

I had YT Premium for few months. Even after it expired, I don't get ads anymore.

I checked in incognito mode, yeah there was ad after I played 3 minutes or so on next video. Instantly playing multiple videos don't get ads.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Barnack said:

ads for me (do not have a YT account)

Since a short-ish time (a week or so) even ads within the few Marvel Entertainment clips I clicked on, that was a big surprise, as the ads were not for Marvel (nor Disney in general) material, and why would Marvel allow any distraction from their promotion?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric Bombay said:

Ayyyyyy

That's great news, I imagine this is for the TV original they are doing for Disney+ Win or Lose, which was described as a co-ed middle school softball team. 

• Like 1

NATO made me write a second article on Disney+ and theatrical (posted the first one in the Disney+ thread but realised posting here is probably a better spot.) I’m also likely to write one on Netflix tomorrow or the day after with earnings coming up. 

I’m posting the full article again below but for those who want to click: https://link.medium.com/vYXrjWcd2hb

How reliant is Disney on Theatrical (and Home Video) Revenue

The attack by NATO (National Association of Theatre Owners) on Disney firstly made my think of the old don’t bit the hand that feeds you analogy (Black Widow just had the biggest domestic opening weekend since the pandemic begun) which it is seemingly unwise to upset one of your biggest partners. Beyond that it had my questioning a couple of thing firstly how reliant is Disney on Theatrical and secondly their claim that “It ignores that Premiere Access revenue is not new-found money, but was pulled forward from a more traditional PVOD window, which is no longer an option.” That may have been the case a decade ago but looking at 2020 much has changed since then, in particular a shrinking home entertainment market. Now it makes sense for the studio to put many of their smaller titles straight to streaming and have their big titles go to streaming earlier whilst getting rewarded for doing so, particularly now that Disney owns the means of DTC distribution with Disney+ and Hulu.

From Disney’s 10-K filings from the last decade, looking at the Studio business (see below.) We see that Theatrical has grown (a lot) although lags behind SVOD, TV and Other over the same period. Home Entertainment on the other hand has shrunk and what once accounted for roughly 30–40% now accounts for around 15%. In FY 2020, deep in the pandemic for over half the period, TV SVOD and Other bought in nearly $6B accounting for nearly two-thirds of the $9.6B the studio made and would still be well over half the biggest year (FY2019.) As for operating income, I don’t have that listed but FY2019 was $2.69B vs FY2020 of $2.5B, not a big drop for pandemic times. Another interesting nugget is that SVOD, TV and Other had larger revenue in FY2020 than the Studio division as a whole in 2012 (the year they released The Avengers) which to me shows the crazy growth of that segment for the studio.

As I mentioned in my previous article, I don’t think Premiere Access is successful enough for Disney to keep it around and a short 30 day window would serve them best. However, I also don’t think it is not wise for NATO to attack one of their biggest partners, particularly as Shang-Chi still has a 45 day window at this point in time, I could understand if they didn’t like Disney including the Premiere Access but from what I’ve seen from theatres owners is they want more transparency about streaming figures and thats what they got. You may be thinking Disney could move completely to streaming to spite NATO, however they are a publicly traded company so they need to what is best for their shareholders (which likely involves a theatrical component for the studio) so that will likely save NATO, it was till incredibly dumb of them though.

2010 Studio Revenue – $6.70B

• Theatrical – $2.05B
  • Home Entertainment – $2.67B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $1.96B

2011 Studio Revenue – $6.35B

• Theatrical – $1.73B
  • Home Entertainment- $2.44B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $2.18B

2012 Studio Revenue – $5.83B

• Theatrical – $1.47B
  • Home Entertainment – $2.22B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $2.13B

2013 Studio Revenue – $5.98B

• Theatrical – $1.87B
  • Home Entertainment – $1.75B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $2.36B

2014 Studio Revenue – $7.28B

• Theatrical – $2.43B
  • Home Entertainment – $2.09B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $2.75B

2015 Studio Revenue – $7.37B.

• Theatrical – $2.32B
  • Home Entertainment – $1.8B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $3.25B

2016 Studio Revenue – $9.44B

• Theatrical – $3.67B
  • Home Entertainment – $2.1B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $3.66B

2017 Studio Revenue – $8.38B

• Theatrical – $2.9B
  • Home Entertainment – $1.8B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $3.68B

2018 Studio Revenue – $10.07B

• Theatrical – $4.3B
  • Home Entertainment – $1.65B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $4.12B

2019 Studio Revenue – $11.13B

• Theatrical – $4.73B
  • Home Entertainment – $1.73B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $4.67B

2020 Studio Revenue – $9.64B

• Theatrical – $2.13B
  • Home Entertainment – $1.53B
  • SVOD, TV and Other – $5.97B

I found this fact, I’m  highlighting it because it is crazy and shows the growth of SVOD for the studio:

”Another interesting nugget is that SVOD, TV and Other had larger revenue in FY2020 than the Studio division as a whole in 2012 (the year they released The Avengers) which to me shows the crazy growth of that segment for the studio.“

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 4

Disney is powerful, but you can't go on making enemies the way it is in the business..some of them pretty powerful in and of themselves..without having bad long term consequences.

If nothing else, these stories are tarnishing Disney image as the "good guy company" which it has tried to maintain ever since Uncle Walt  put6 a homespun image on Disney.

• Like 2