A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

The war is over.  Chapek lost and likely burned his career to the ground unless he enthusiastically goes along with this.  

Nolan out shopping his next film as punishment to Warner Bros.  

What a great day.  

Burned his career to the ground? Dude is the ceo of the biggest entertainment company on the planet and isn’t going anywhere. Disney has swelled to 170m+ streaming subs under him. A far more important leg of their business than theatrical , which is a distant fourth of 4 major legs. Don’t get in your feelings. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Burned his career to the ground? Dude is the ceo of the biggest entertainment company on the planet and isn’t going anywhere. Disney has swelled to 170m+ streaming subs under him. A far more important leg of their business than theatrical , which is a distant fourth of 4 major legs. Don’t get in your feelings. 

Pretty much my thoughts as well, glad Disney has gone back to a theatrical window but Streaming and Parks are the most important aspects of Disney for the foreseeable future.

I said this on the Eternals thread, without realising most of the talk was here on this Disney thread…

Anyway, what’s with the assumption these movies will debut on D+ with no PVOD/digital rental/retail window? I mean why would they do that?

Why would they put Shang Chi on D+ straight away when there’s plenty of people who wouldn’t have seen it happy to pay for it? 
Same goes for all the other movies they’ve just announced as theatrical exclusives. 

I will be amazed if there’s no other windows with monetary walls before being free on Disney+

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I will be amazed if there’s no other windows with monetary walls before being free on Disney+

The wording pretty much confirms Encanto is free on Disney+ at Xmas. 

As I said earlier in the thread we should find out with Shang-Chi next week once the October list of what is coming to Disney+ US goes up. I'm leaning towards it being free and that is the case for Free Guy at the end of the month here in ANZ even with that being the same time they are doing iTunes, Amazon release in the US (and other markets I assume)

@EmpireCity recognises (correctly) that your big movies are only considered big movies if they’re treated as such. 
Throwing movies straight on the tv does not translate to the kind of event status that automatically leads to years of branching off - whether it be theme parks/merchandise etc. 

I agree with him 100% 

Disney are, at their heart, loved for their movies. Hence their hugely important decision today to screen their premium product on the silver screen.  

It is a big day for how the future of theatrical is going to go. Chapek knows it, which is why he’s gone all in. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

The wording pretty much confirms Encanto is free on Disney+ at Xmas. 

As I said earlier in the thread we should find out with Shang-Chi next week once the October list of what is coming to Disney+ US goes up. I'm leaning towards it being free and that is the case for Free Guy at the end of the month here in ANZ even with that being the same time they are doing iTunes, Amazon release in the US (and other markets I assume)

Sure, I get the Encanto decision to tie in with Christmas etc. 

but Shang Chi going free on there seems insane.  

Why would they just pick out Encanto as a mention for Disney+ and not the others? It can surely only mean they’ll have pay windows. And I really hope they do go with windows. 

Free Guy, they might not have the same ability to make decisions on that due to its status when the acquisition of Fox was made. 

Edited by wildphantom

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I said this on the Eternals thread, without realising most of the talk was here on this Disney thread…

Anyway, what’s with the assumption these movies will debut on D+ with no PVOD/digital rental/retail window? I mean why would they do that?

Why would they put Shang Chi on D+ straight away when there’s plenty of people who wouldn’t have seen it happy to pay for it? 
Same goes for all the other movies they’ve just announced as theatrical exclusives. 

The kids don’t want to wait 3 months before a movie hits one of the 3-4 streamers they’re signed up to. They want new movies fresh from the cinema. PVOD and retail is DOA to anyone under 21.

Just now, AJG said:

The kids don’t want to wait 3 months before a movie hits one of the 3-4 streamers they’re signed up to. They want new movies fresh from the cinema. PVOD and retail is DOA to anyone under 21.

Nobody wants to wait for anything, but that’s not how money is made. 

Disney+ is not going to lose subs over a brand new Marvel movie not going straight on there from cinemas. People happily rent/buy new movies digitally after cinema runs.  Why would you put a huge hit movie straight on a service your consumer already pays for when you can try and get an extra $20 out of them for it? 

I mean Shang-Chi, Eternals et al should still get some form of PVOD/digital release, even if it goes to Disney+ straight away from 45 days. There's still a niche market there, especially from Marvel fans who want to own all the movies. Soul and Luca, which didn't even get a theatrical release, are also available to watch on iTunes or Amazon and you can get their 4K Blu-Ray at a Wal-Mart near you. I'm sure the home video revenue side is impacted by all this, but since streaming is where the company pockets all the money, I guess the loss isn't that bad?

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Sure, I get the Encanto decision to tie in with Christmas etc. 

but Shang Chi going free on there seems insane.  

Free Guy, they might not have the same ability to make decisions on that due to its status when the acquisition of Fox was made. 

Why does it going free seem insane? 

From my point of view it builds value for the subscriber which means easier for them to raise prices in the future, attract new users and lower churn. Compared to PVOD where only 4-5m or so bought Black Widow on PA with it being a day 1 release, how many would buy a film after 45 days? it has to be way less in my opinion so not worth them charging for it. 

Only way I see them charging is if it doesn't go to Disney+ after 45 days and instead that window is for digital (iTunes, Amazon) and Physical (DVD, Blu-Ray etc.) release. But I think the free on Disney+ window will be simultaneous with digital and physical paid release. 

But anyway should find out shortly what Disney's plans are for Disney+ release. 

Will be interesting to see how much PVOD sales will be affected with WDAS and Pixar films now that they are probably going straight to Disney+ after 30-45 days of release. I don't see Disney changing this strategy even once the pandemic subsides. We also haven't really seen how that would affect those films legs considering animated films tend to rely more on long legs compared to the more fanboy driven films. 

12 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Why does it going free seem insane? 

From my point of view it builds value for the subscriber which means easier for them to raise prices in the future, attract new users and lower churn. Compared to PVOD where only 4-5m or so bought Black Widow on PA with it being a day 1 release, how many would buy a film after 45 days? it has to be way less in my opinion so not worth them charging for it. 

Only way I see them charging is if it doesn't go to Disney+ after 45 days and instead that window is for digital (iTunes, Amazon) and Physical (DVD, Blu-Ray etc.) release. But I think the free on Disney+ window will be simultaneous with digital and physical paid release. 

But anyway should find out shortly what Disney's plans are for Disney+ release. 

good points but I don’t see a Disney+ debut, say a month after digital retail, being any less attractive to a potential new subscriber. There’s a ceiling on these subs too. Where as revenue of any kind for an individual movie is good money you can’t get from an all-you-can-eat subscription. 

What they really don’t want to invite is the “I’ll just wait 45 days and then watch it on Disney+” crowd. They need them to go to the theater, and hopefully buy/rent it too. Let alone capture some decent money from those who didn’t go to the theater. 

we’ll see what happens, like you said. 

Hopefully PA is over, and at the very least we’ll have a digital window for iTunes/Amazon etc for a period of time. That’s what I’m hoping for anyway. 

Disney's currently in experiment mode with Disney+. They're successful enough that they could release the movies for free on the service.

But yes, I'd pay the Premier Access fee for Shang-chi, Eternals and Encanto without question.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

12 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Will be interesting to see how much PVOD sales will be affected with WDAS and Pixar films now that they are probably going straight to Disney+ after 30-45 days of release. I don't see Disney changing this strategy even once the pandemic subsides. We also haven't really seen how that would affect those films legs considering animated films tend to rely more on long legs compared to the more fanboy driven films. 

Home entertainment has been dwindling for years, it used to bring in more than theatrical now it is in a distant third place behind TV/SVOD and Other and Theatrical. 

Look at 2018, 2019 and 2020 for Disney Studios below (2018 and 2019 were great for Disney but Home Entertainment bought in a very small amount of revenue only about 15-20%) 

2018 Studio Revenue - $10.07B

• Theatrical - $4.3B
  • Home Entertainment - $1.65B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $4.12B

2018 Operating income - $3.00B

2019 Studio Revenue - $11.13B

• Theatrical - $4.73B
  • Home Entertainment - $1.73B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $4.67B

2019 Operating income - $2.68B

2020 Studio Revenue - $9.64B

• Theatrical - $2.13B
  • Home Entertainment - $1.53B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $5.97B

2020 Operating income - $2.50B

The good news is it seems the launch of Disney had a very little impact on Home Entertainment in terms of the revenue it generates whilst SVOD has skyrocketed, 30-45 day window might impact that but I would guess there is still a good amount of physical collectors particularly of franchises like the MCU, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, DC, LoTR etc. or specific studios like Pixar, WDAS which benefits Disney the most out of all the studios. 

As for the 30-45 day window it will depend on the release but we have seen even after that 45 day for AQPII it still made a decent amount of money same with the day and date releases there will still be people turning up on days 31 and 46 but it could greatly cut the legs off of a Greatest Showman or Frozen (the first one) style run but those are fairly rare. It will have an impact but if it benefits streaming (less marketing, more buzzworthy as it is newer) whilst still bringing in a good amount theatrical dollars that is a great compromise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exomassey said:

That is…a lot lol. Along with the Disney plus shows, there is gonna be some major burnout with fans and critics.

‘Too much a good thing’ comes to mind here.

Marvel is a brand. The sub IPs keep it fresh. we are getting 4-5 movies a year but barring spider-man there is more than 4 years diff in sequels for individual franchises.

• Like 2

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

Marvel is a brand. The sub IPs keep it fresh. we are getting 4-5 movies a year but barring spider-man there is more than 4 years diff in sequels for individual franchises.

Okay that’s fair.

I’m not complaining though, I love what the MCU is. I just hope they keep changing it up and keep it fresh for audiences like you said. 

11 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

good points but I don’t see a Disney+ debut, say a month after digital retail, being any less attractive to a potential new subscriber. There’s a ceiling on these subs too. Where as revenue of any kind for an individual movie is good money you can’t get from an all-you-can-eat subscription. 

What they really don’t want to invite is the “I’ll just wait 45 days and then watch it on Disney+” crowd. They need them to go to the theater, and hopefully buy/rent it too. Let alone capture some decent money from those who didn’t go to the theater. 

we’ll see what happens, like you said. 

Hopefully PA is over, and at the very least we’ll have a digital window for iTunes/Amazon etc for a period of time. That’s what I’m hoping for anyway. 

Pretty much explained in my post above Home Entertainment is not what it used to be, there is likely still physical collectors that will still buy no matter when it is released (even with a Disney+ option) but Home Entertainment makes up less than 20% of the studio revenue for Disney and is not growing unlike SVOD.

If Home Entertainment was still bringing in around 40% of revenue (much higher than theatrical at the time) like it was in 2010-2011 where it was around $2.5B of the ~$6.5B then sure they should window that but in 2021 that is big diminishing returns.