A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Iger will be with us until 2026

People forget that Marvel Comics brough out the first Star Wars comics way back   in 1977...a six issue adaptation of  " A New Hope" and published SW comics until the licence changed hands in the late 80's. Then Marvel got it back when Disney Bouth out Lucasfilms.

I am not sure Feige wants to take over the SW franchise...he has enough on this plate with the Marvel Universe. Maybe produce a SW film or two but I suspect he does not to be stuck with managing the whole franchsie.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

No

Please explain your point. Are you saying Iger was a bad CEO?

He just made Disney into perhaps the more sucessful studio in film history, and gave it a dominence in the industry that none of the big studios in the Golden Age manages to acheive. You might argue whether this is good for the industry as a whole,but to imply Iger "destroyed" Disney is pretty  foolish.

Or are you just playing the "contrarian" card?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, excel1 said:

Ehhhhh Disney is not at the level that WB was at during the Potter/TDK days. 

I just have to disagree . Even on the heigh of Potter/TDK Warners does not come close to the presence in the industry that the Mouse does today.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, excel1 said:

Ehhhhh Disney is not at the level that WB was at during the Potter/TDK days. 

Nope. I was around then. Disney is a whole different beast than WB was. And a couple big films a year is nothing compared to just the MCU alone let anyone Disney+, Star Wars, Pixar, etc.

We are obviously talking about JUST the films division. Disney is obviously a bigger brand overall with their amusement parks, tv channels, tv shows, cruise ships, hotels, consumer products, legacy content, etc. 

The internal markets are so much more developed that it makes the comparison difficult and more favorable on the Disney side. But WB owned the 200os no doubt.

The 2000s were an odd era at Disney because they were obviously wanting to expand their brand beyond the "princess and musical" reputation they had developed throughout the 90s at a time when the "teen boys control the marketplace and everyone else is a second class citizen" mentality was alive and well throughout Hollywood. They tried chasing that demographic early that decade with Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet, and both of them failed pretty damn hard in becoming the game-changers they wanted them to be (the latter especially ended up killing the hand-drawn division at a time when Pixar/DreamWorks computer animation cartoons were taking over). The Shrek Effect in particular resulted in lame efforts that even they like to pretend don't exist nowadays like Chicken Little, and it wasn't until they started embracing their bread and butter of producing Broadway-style musicals again (along with buying major iconic IPs along with carving out a successful niche in bringing their beloved animated classics to life via live-action star-studded remakes) that they began their trek to becoming the all-powerful brand they are today. The late 2000s/early 2010s was also a time when they started fully embracing their family-friendly nature too: they implemented a "no smoking" ban in their movies 15 years ago (I think Alice in Wonderland '10 is the only movie that snuck past that ban to deliver perhaps the single greatest MPA description ever: "and for a smoking caterpillar.") and also closed down all the night clubs at Downtown Disney (now Disney Springs) and renaming Pleasure Island as The Landing. Somehow, it wasn't until three years ago that they finally banned smoking in both sets of US theme parks.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

The 2000s were an odd era at Disney because they were obviously wanting to expand their brand beyond the "princess and musical" reputation they had developed throughout the 90s at a time when the "teen boys control the marketplace and everyone else is a second class citizen" mentality was alive and well throughout Hollywood. They tried chasing that demographic early that decade with Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet, and both of them failed pretty damn hard in becoming the game-changers they wanted them to be (the latter especially ended up killing the hand-drawn division at a time when Pixar/DreamWorks computer animation cartoons were taking over). The Shrek Effect in particular resulted in lame efforts that even they like to pretend don't exist nowadays like Chicken Little, and it wasn't until they started embracing their bread and butter of producing Broadway-style musicals again (along with buying major iconic IPs along with carving out a successful niche in bringing their beloved animated classics to life via live-action star-studded remakes) that they began their trek to becoming the all-powerful brand they are today. The late 2000s/early 2010s was also a time when they started fully embracing their family-friendly nature too: they implemented a "no smoking" ban in their movies 15 years ago (I think Alice in Wonderland '10 is the only movie that snuck past that ban to deliver perhaps the single greatest MPA description ever: "and for a smoking caterpillar.") and also closed down all the night clubs at Downtown Disney (now Disney Springs) and renaming Pleasure Island as The Landing. Somehow, it wasn't until three years ago that they finally banned smoking in both sets of US theme parks.

I think that more compelling evidence of the "Family Friendly" image is that Disney no longer made any R rated movies, which they did pretty regularly in the 90's and early 2000's though not using the name Disney but the name of one of their other studios..Miramax, Dimenison, Hollywood movie etc.

Now Disney seems to be getting back in the business of releasing R rated moviesl I guess they feel the family friendly strategy has served it;s purpose. 

I have a theory that they found out that the people who would be offended by R rated material are turning on Disney anyway for political reasons, and most people just don't give a damn.

On 1/17/2022 at 9:01 AM, Jonwo said:

I think Disney felt lost during the 2000s because Pixar and DreamWorks had sucked up their USP and honestly had Pirates not been a hit, I'm not sure if the company would have become the behemoth it is today.

Pirates of the Caribbean was a major turning point for the company. First time they experienced blockbuster success with a live action feature film and the first PG-13 film made by Disney proper.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JWR said:

Pirates of the Caribbean was a major turning point for the company. First time they experienced blockbuster success with a live action feature film and the first PG-13 film made by Disney proper.

Maybe in  the decade before POTC but go back far enough, Disney had live action blockbusters.

"Mary Poppins" was the #1 box office film in 1964, beating out "Goldfinger" and "My Fair Lady." It took in 103 Million, which would be around 2 billion in today's money.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Maybe in  the decade before POTC but go back far enough, Disney had live action blockbusters.

"Mary Poppins" was the #1 box office film in 1964, beating out "Goldfinger" and "My Fair Lady." It took in 103 Million, which would be around 2 billion in today's money.

Well, blockbuster in the more modern sense but point taken.