A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Is Disney ever getting the Spiderman franchise back from Sony? i.e. does their contract et renewed automatically as long as they release a movie? Or is their an expiration? It's the whole reason why I wish TASM failed; so Sony wouldnt feel the need to come out with a Spiderman movie every other year.

Edited by whoot

Is Disney ever getting the Spiderman franchise back from Sony? i.e. does their contract et renewed automatically as long as they release a movie? Or is their an expiration? It's the whole reason why I wish TASM failed; so Sony wouldnt feel the need to come out with a Spiderman movie every other year.

Sony has to pay Disney a licensing fee every year and make a movie every X number of years ( we don't know the exact time period but believe it is about 5 years) in order to keep the film rights. If Sony pays keeps paying the licensing fee and keeps making the Spider-Man movies, then they keep the film rights. If Sony fails to do one of the aofrementioned, then Disney gets the Spider-Man film rights back.I actually agree with you about wanting TASM to fail so Disney would get the Spidey rights back. I never thought it would happen, but that was my dream. A poster called my opinion idiotic for wanting that to happen. Edited by Walt Disney

Sony has to pay Disney a licensing fee every year and make a movie every X number of years ( we don't know the exact time period but believe it is about 5 years) in order to keep the film rights. If Sony pays keeps paying the licensing fee and keeps making the Spider-Man movies, then they keep the film rights. If Sony fails to do one of the aofrementioned, then Disney gets the Spider-Man film rights back.I actually agree with you about wanting TASM to fail so Disney would get the Spidey rights back. I never thought it would happen, but that was my dream. A poster called my opinion idiotic for wanting that to happen.

Yeah, it's not so much Disney getting the rights back for me (though that would be nice as I'm looking forward to finally having Spidey used in other Marvel movies, like maybe the Avengers or X-Men); it's more I don't want Sony to overexpose Spidey just so they can keep the rights. It's overkill.

Yeah, it's not so much Disney getting the rights back for me (though that would be nice as I'm looking forward to finally having Spidey used in other Marvel movies, like maybe the Avengers or X-Men); it's more I don't want Sony to overexpose Spidey just so they can keep the rights. It's overkill.

I'm not worried about the over-exposing because that will naturally happen with any of the films rights that are licensed out. There is no way to avoid that. If Sony and Fox didn't have the licenses for the film rights to certain characters, then they would have stopped making movies featuring these superheroes already. They told the stories that they wanted to tell, and now they are just trying to keep the rights.Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance performed horribly. When that happened with the Punisher movies, Lionsgate gave the film rights back to Disney. WB had no more ideas for Blade, so they gave the rights back to Disney. Fox has no ideas for Daredevil or the Fantastic Four, but they are trying to make a new movies with them. The studios that have these licenses now will over-expose these characters or just make bad movies.

With the success of Newsies as a Broadway musical, I wonder if Disney will consider remaking the movie based on the stage musical? I imagine they'll launch a few more productions worldwide before greenlighting a film.

I don't think they will. They really haven't been hit with the remake bug.

Still number one. Will lose the crown to WB though.

It's tough to win the year when you're making less movies than most of your competitors. I believe that Disney is releasing the least number of movies out of the big Six movie studios. For Disney to win the year, a few of their big releases would need to hit big.However, Disney will have the number 1 movie for the year, so that's pretty good right there.

He seems to be saying the exact opposite of that

I'll withhold judgment on why exactly they canned it, but it's a gigantic disappointment regardless.

I didn't make that quote up, Steve Hulett said that in his post...

but I’d heard it just wasn’t coming together in a manner that pleased the studio

Edited by iEye

FUCK!

Disney pulls plug on Selick stop-motion pic

http://www.variety.c...1118057845.html

These are the kinds of decisions that Disney's new movie studio president was brought in to make. I am sure he had a good reason for deciding to pull the plug. Hopefully he brings the same kind of success that he brought Warner Bros. the past 10 years by greenlighting successful movies.