A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

14 hours ago, Mickiland16 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post about this but via Jeff Sneider:

Dave Filoni is getting his own STAR WARS movie tmrw, and furthermore, Lucasfilm is trying to codify the SW universe around the worlds that Filoni and Jon Favreau have created, which is why other movies and shows are being killed. Filoni = New Lucas.

On a side note, if this true and given this is Disney after all, Grogu cinematic debut would be inevitable I guess (toys=$) maybe jedi academy with Rey post The Rise of Skywalker?

Besides dropping the Ashoka trailer today, Lucasfilm announced 3 Star Wars films at Star Wars Celebration Europe.

One is helmed by James Mangold dealing with the 'Dawn of the Jedi'.

One is helmed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy with Daisy Ridley as Rey, post TRoS, rebuilding the Jedi.

One is helmed by Dave Filoni and is designed to close out all the Mandoverso plots (Mandolorian, Ashoka, Boba Fett, etc).

IMO,

Mangold's movie probably has the most runway in terms of creating what he wants

Obaid-Chinoy has the hardest movie to create. Based on the response to TRoS and some of the dissension over Rey, this has a heavy lift to overcome.

Filoni probably has the most good will among Star Wars fans with his work on Clone Wars, Rebels and Mandolorian. He will be given the benefit of the doubt with the fanbase.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

"MCU IN TROUBLE" post number eight billion. Like seriously weve been hearing about how superhero fatigue was just about to happen for years and years. People were calling Love and Thunder a bomb with 750 million plus. Not everything is going to be Endgame guys.

It's all about relative versus absolute.

If GOTG3 comes in under AM3 on its OW there's almost no way to finesse it as not a bad thing.  Hell, barely doing more than AM3 (say, 115m to 125m OW) isn't much better.  About the only thing one might be able to point to is if it does better on internal holds during the weekend.

And in any case, ultimately, it's not us who decide whether or not the "MCU (is) IN TROUBLE", but Disney.  And given their actions the last four to six weeks, I don't particularly think they think everything is hunky dory and Nothing To See Here. 

Now this doesn't mean that Marvel is dying1!q!11, as it isn't. But it absolutely positively no bones about it isn't in the same place it was this time last year.  In the end, that's what people are really commenting on here.

It also doesn't mean it can't recover and people just look back at this period as a weird blip [word chosen semi-intentionally].  But it'll take strong reaction to GOTG3, Secret Invasion, Loki S2 AND The Marvels. If Marvel fandom/the GA reacts to the reset of the MCU slate this year better than they did the more recent MCU fare, then the box office will eventually follow.

However, if we get more "3.6 Roetgen not great not terrible" type reactions from various audience measurement tools (scientific or otherwise)?  Well gonna see a lot more of the "MCU IN TROUBLE" posts in the coming months.

(taken from the Tracking thread)

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If GOTG3 comes in under AM3 on its OW there's almost no way to finesse it as not a bad thing.  Hell, barely doing more than AM3 (say, 115m to 125m OW) isn't much better. 

You're not convincing me people aren't overreacting with your argument of "if it does 125 million OW it's a bomb".

MCU is "in trouble" ONLY in relation to stuff like 2019 where every single movie made a billion. Compared to literally any other existing franchise it's still head and shoulders above everything but Avatar, and that's only releasing every two years.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Porthos said:

It's all about relative versus absolute.

If GOTG3 comes in under AM3 on its OW there's almost no way to finesse it as not a bad thing.  Hell, barely doing more than AM3 (say, 115m to 125m OW) isn't much better.  About the only thing one might be able to point to is if it does better on internal holds during the weekend.

And in any case, ultimately, it's not us who decide whether or not the "MCU (is) IN TROUBLE", but Disney.  And given their actions the last four to six weeks, I don't particularly think they think everything is hunky dory and Nothing To See Here. 

Now this doesn't mean that Marvel is dying1!q!11, as it isn't. But it absolutely positively no bones about it isn't in the same place it was this time last year.  In the end, that's what people are really commenting on here.

It also doesn't mean it can't recover and people just look back at this period as a weird blip [word chosen semi-intentionally].  But it'll take strong reaction to GOTG3, Secret Invasion, Loki S2 AND The Marvels. If Marvel fandom/the GA reacts to the reset of the MCU slate this year better than they did the more recent MCU fare, then the box office will eventually follow.

However, if we get more "3.6 Roetgen not great not terrible" type reactions from various audience measurement tools (scientific or otherwise)?  Well gonna see a lot more of the "MCU IN TROUBLE" posts in the coming months.

(taken from the Tracking thread)

For better or worse, I think the Disney+ shows have caused a problem for the Movies. And perhaps having the shows and movies tie in so much could cause serious problems. 

It's one thing to ask an audience to watch 3 movies a year, another to ask them to watch a half dozen shows on streaming that conclude or start character arcs from the a film.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

First time in Japan since 2008!

(also posting for those who are much much closer to Japan than places where more recent Celebrations have been held)

Hope they use this as a way to get Japanese dev on a Star Wars game, cause the current Star Wars devs that aren't Respawn are terrible lol

29 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

You're not convincing me people aren't overreacting with your argument of "if it does 125 million OW it's a bomb".

MCU is "in trouble" ONLY in relation to stuff like 2019 where every single movie made a billion. Compared to literally any other existing franchise it's still head and shoulders above everything but Avatar, and that's only releasing every two years.

Marvel's own actions (firing Victoria Alonso, shifting their D+ slate around, delaying movies) suggest that they are taking things a wee bit more seriously.  Which is a good thing, BTW!  Never want to be complacent.

Anyway, you're not gonna get an argument from me about "resetting expectations is A Good Thing, Aksually" as I've been fighting that fight in my particular corner of interest for about six years now.  On the other hand, GOTG3's current sales are a big huge blinking warning indicator that Marvel is currently navigating choppy waters and that it's gonna have to be adroit and course correct a bit.  As they themselves are saying.

To switch up metaphors, if you want to keep whistling past the graveyard, be my guest.  But there's a point where even someone who believes in resetting expectations like I do looks at things and go.... Yeaaaaaah, that's not a good sign.  And for me, it's GOTG3's current pre-sale trajectory.  If and when it changes, then I'll do likewise.  

To put it a different way, recognizing that Marvel is facing challenges is *****NOT***** the same as saying they're doooooooooooooomed. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TMP said:

Could see all the big disney films this year outside of indiana jones under-performing big time

I think The Little Mermaid will be fine while Elemental and Wish will depend on the WOM. Encanto, Luca and Turning Red proved that people still love WDAS and Pixar as a brand not everything has to be a Strange World. MCU movies are the ones that will probably dissapoint compared to expectations (I don't think neither Guardians or The Marvels will flop though)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mickiland16 said:

I think The Little Mermaid will be fine while Elemental and Wish will depend on the WOM. Encanto, Luca and Turning Red proved that people still love WDAS and Pixar as a brand not everything has to be a Strange World. MCU movies are the ones that will probably dissapoint compared to expectations (I don't think neither Guardians or The Marvels will flop though)

Encanto was a box office flop and Disney+ had conveniently protected Turning Red/Luca from questions about it's success. Disney's animation output has gone from leading the industry to being a whatever compared to Universal's output in a short time, and that is a major problem. Especially when Universal are making their animated films at half the budget that Pixar/WDAS is spending, which puts pressure on all these new Disney IPs to gross close to a billion in BO. 

3 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

Encanto was a box office flop and Disney+ had conveniently protected Turning Red/Luca from questions about it's success. Disney's animation output has gone from leading the industry to being a whatever compared to Universal's output in a short time, and that is a major problem. Especially when Universal are making their animated films at half the budget that Pixar/WDAS is spending, which puts pressure on all these new Disney IPs to gross close to a billion in BO. 

lol who cares. if you chose any other animated fims from Pixar/Disney from recent years you would have an argument but those 3 are certified future classics, Encanto was played like a concert film already, it's a classic. It saved Disney+ when it was released there. 

9 hours ago, Mickiland16 said:

Honestly Disney has been through worse in their history, the way certain people go on you'd think both WDAS and Pixar were going to be shut down or the company was close to bankruptcy. 

19 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

dude i know u love mcu ! i do too but denying that mcu is in trouble is just fooling ur self ! if guardians 3 performs less than guardians 1 then they r in a really big trouble !! any producer should look to improve the performance of ur franchise to improve from the previous one not declining ! nd mcu's performance is declining both wakanda forever nd thor 4 had there reasons for not crossing the previous one ! but for ant man 3 the only reason was it's  reception ! nd if that repeats again for marvel then there is a problem ! they should make sure they touch 800m$ + the most imp is they get great wom not good or average great nd secret invasion , loki 2 , marvels all should follow that !

• Like 1