A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

2 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Reading initial reactions to Iger's return is very funny. People were acting all "Return of the King".

He has done more damage to the company than Chapek could even imagine.

I got so much flack in my Disney friend circle for telling everyone it was BAD news at the time, and now I’m just over here like… 

35 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The fact that he publicly throws Chapek under the bus so hard and so much since coming back is kind of insane when you consider how he made sure everyone knew he “hand picked” Chapek as his successor at the time. Lol Bob. 

Oh absolutely, but hey everyone wanted him gone so there ain't no friends in a takeover.

Igers point that COVID also meant a lot of projects had less direct oversight is also a good point, especially Feige. I think delegating more of the TV side to TV producers and freeing him up is a smart move.

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Oh absolutely, but hey everyone wanted him gone so there ain't no friends in a takeover.

Igers point that COVID also meant a lot of projects had less direct oversight is also a good point, especially Feige. I think delegating more of the TV side to TV producers and freeing him up is a smart move.

Paycheck was incompetent no doubt, but he was just fumbling in the dark with Iger’s whole setup. Pretty much every problem they’re in now is traced to Iger honestly. So anyone he tries to throw under is peak cringe. 

As far as I’m aware, Bob Chapek didn’t even really have the chance to significantly hurt Disney’s bottomline. He was appointed during the early days of the pandemic, and didn’t even last three years with the company. I won’t deny that he’s incompetent, but there’s no denying that he was dealt a bad hand. 

It was Bob Iger’s idea to prioritize streaming. He was the one who went all in on Disney+, and we’ve now seen how detrimental that strategy was. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How does anyone blame Iger for post-covid Disney debacle? Iger's intention for D+ in 2019 was for it to be a supplemental, "Disney TV channel on steroids" platform to compliment their robust theatrical channel. Covid forced Chapek and company to - logically, I would add - lean heavily on it while theaters were closed. Also, to state the absolute obvious, Bob Iger was by far the most qualified person to take over for Chapek on such short notice. 

Iger's biggest mistake was botching the handling of Star Wars pre-Covid. It is hard dot even blame him for Chapek given the historically rough waters that Chapek was forced to navigate. The moves that he has been criticized for as of late were largely requirements due to the problems of 2020-2022. 

Give them some time. 

• Like 2

Disney currently is just like my country:

- local officials / creatives think they have no executive / creative control to do anything good

- central leadership / studio executives believe they need more control over their teams

I guess they need more time to fix it. Like...2035?

iger_xi.jpg?w=3000

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Feige should never ever been in the position to having to oversee the TV side and the movie side of the MCU at the same time. It's so obvious that he's stretched thin as hell and everything MCU suffered as a result, it's not even funny.

Whoever decided(him or Iger or someone else) to let him handle everything without delegating stuff really messed up.

10 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

Disney currently is just like my country:

- local officials / creatives think they have no executive / creative control to do anything good

- central leadership / studio executives believe they need more control over their teams

I guess they need more time to fix it. Like...2035?

iger_xi.jpg?w=3000

This is actually not a bad analogy at all. I am sure this disconnect is big inside Disney.

I remember an old footage from Michael Jordan saying something along the lines of "Republicans buy sneakers, too" in response to why he was not willing to endorse a democrat candidate in the 90s or any controversial stance for that matter.

Maybe The Bob Iger Company should learn a thing or two from Michael Jordan.

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 2