A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

12 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Then Disney should say so. Right now it's perfectly believable that there's a Pixar movie in March 2026. Though it will have the same date as The Cat in the Hat

They do this fairly frequently though, do you think the September date for this year will be filled by a Disney film? Also March 2026 is nearly 2 years away and if they have any films with production issues then that is a date they can easily move to if need be.

Not saying it is the right thing to do just that Disney lays claim to plenty of dates and not all of them eventuate into something. 

34 minutes ago, Potiki said:

They do this fairly frequently though, do you think the September date for this year will be filled by a Disney film? Also March 2026 is nearly 2 years away and if they have any films with production issues then that is a date they can easily move to if need be.

Not saying it is the right thing to do just that Disney lays claim to plenty of dates and not all of them eventuate into something. 

The pattern lately is 

March

June

June

March

For Pixar movies. Like the year after there is a March and a June Pixar movie, there is another year with just a June one. So with Elio being the sole 2025 Pixar, it makes sense for 2026 to have two Pixar movies, one in March and then Toy Story 5 in June. Though if they don't announce what the March movie is this year, maybe at d23, you might be right 

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, cannastop said:

The pattern lately is 

March

June

June

March

For Pixar movies. Like the year after there is a March and a June Pixar movie, there is another year with just a June one. So with Elio being the sole 2025 Pixar, it makes sense for 2026 to have two Pixar movies, one in March and then Toy Story 5 in June. Though if they don't announce what the March movie is this year, maybe at d23, you might be right 

June has historically been a Pixar month for the past 20 or so years, March not so much (but maybe they like that date going forward for some reason) Zootopia (I am aware it is WDAS) did $1B from an early March release so maybe that is it.

As for this possible 2026 film, without getting too specific I think it is unlikely Pixar will have something ready to go for that date. 

Edit: and getting back to the point with Toy Story 5, they don't need a 2nd film that year anyway. 

2nd edit: 

6 hours ago, AniNate said:

Bloomberg article claimed that they are trying to stick to the pace of three films every two years.

Missed this earlier, that same Bloomberg article also claims that the next films after Inside Out 2 are Elio and Toy Story 5 no mention of the untitled March 2026 film. 

"If families show up for Inside Out 2 in the kinds of numbers Pixar used to see, it will reaffirm the studio’s standing. But if the movie fails, it will fuel concerns about the company’s relevance in an increasingly crowded animation industry and call into question whether its next films—Elio in 2025 and Toy Story 5 in 2026—are just more bets in the wrong direction. Fittingly, Pixar is introducing a new personified emotion in Inside Out 2: Anxiety."

source (for any that missed it): https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2024-05-30/disney-s-inside-out-2-could-hold-key-to-pixar-restoring-movie-magic

Edited by Potiki

Posted (edited)

They didn't mention it because it's still untitled and it's just pointless extra text in the article.

Pixar has been trying to establish a presence in March since Onward but they've been sidetracked by a lot of bad luck. I don't know if they "need" another film in 2026, but right now I still buy that they're aiming for that. Probably will find out in August if that is the case. They haven't typically been announcing what their original concepts are until nearly a year to release recently and they don't endear themselves at shareholder meetings like Toy Story 5 does. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Potiki said:

Missed this earlier, that same Bloomberg article also claims that the next films after Inside Out 2 are Elio and Toy Story 5 no mention of the untitled March 2026 film. 

The article also mentioned an untitled/unknown project by Domee Shi, so maybe that's the March 2026 movie. Or maybe it's something else. Or maybe you're right. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

Pixar has been trying to establish a presence in March since Onward but they've been sidetracked by a lot of bad luck.

I think the March spot can be 50/50 WDAS or Pixar. June in most cases is Pixar and November in most cases is WDAS. Though I just remembered Good Dinosaur's release date in Thanksgiving 2015, and Coco in 2017.

I don't think Hall was getting another directing gig at Disney after Strange World. Probably was all too happy to get a golden parachute via Lasseter

I can only hope Fawn Veerasunthorn doesn't follow suit if she's the fall guy for Wish. Think she would be a good fit for Sony with that new project Matt Braly's working on

• Like 3

I said in the Raya topic years ago that the man needed some more practice and why does Disney keep handing him movies.

So I'm happy he can go somewhere else and practice out of the spotlight bc no one is checking for Skydance Animation.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I said in the Raya topic years ago that the man needed some more practice and why does Disney keep handing him movies.

So I'm happy he can go somewhere else and practice out of the spotlight bc no one is checking for Skydance Animation.

Dude hasn’t made a good film since Winnie The Pooh and at best that was a 3.5/5.

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 2:30 PM, cannastop said:

I can understand wanting to jump ship from WDAS but Lasseter doesn't seem like an improvement. His whole Skydance Animation stuff strikes me as vaporware 

I am not sure at this point Disney wanted to keep Hall after what happened with Strange  World.

I think Hall though he would never really be given a big project at Disney, so might as well jump ship. he was just another director at WDAS, but might be a much bigger deal at Skydance.

And kas someone said, at Skydance he will be out of the spotlight a director is under at WDAS. SKydance might be his place to be lousy inl as the saying goes.

Edited by dudalb

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Makes it bigger than Echo and X-Men ‘97. According to the article it’s a lot bigger than Ashoka (which was about the same as Andor).

I’m generally not a huge Star Wars fan but I thought the show had a good start. Interested to see where it goes.

Edited by Speedorito
  • Like 1

An exact first-day viewership total isn’t available for “Ahsoka,” the most recent Star Wars series, though Disney did report that it took five days to reach 14 million views. That comes out to an average of 2.8 million viewers per day — 2 million below the launch of “The Acolyte.” (Note: a “view” is calculated by dividing the number of hours each title is watched by its runtime.)

It may be true but that's just an awful argument. Both common sense and data say there's clearly audience decay. If we drop the daily average by 20% (which strikes me as a fairly moderate adjustment) that extrapolates to an 19M "expected views" for The Acolyte across 5 days versus a true 14M for Ahsoka. a 30% drop means 16.8M. 

Samba's 3 day average for GvK on MAX was 15% higher than their 5 day one. The Batman's Day 1 daily average on samba was 22% below it's 7 day samba number.   

I could be 100% wrong about this (my "about 1M people in the US are actually watching X-Men week in/out" attempted extrapolation doesn't seem to match the final anecdote they dropped), but I think that very roughly translates to 100M minutes viewed in the US on day 1 (which you could then compare to Sunday anecdotes for new shows by GrimReaperTV guy). 

• Like 3