A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

On 6/6/2024 at 7:10 PM, AniNate said:

Hopefully this latest TLK re-release does make enough coin to add up to it’s lifetime DOM & WW box office gross. 🙆🏻‍♀️ I can see this easily go vastly over all the Spider-Man re-releases, no doubt. But does it have more advantages to do more than the latest Star Wars: The Phantom Menace-release? 🤔

On 6/7/2024 at 1:25 AM, PlatnumRoyce said:

It may be true but that's just an awful argument. Both common sense and data say there's clearly audience decay. If we drop the daily average by 20% (which strikes me as a fairly moderate adjustment) that extrapolates to an 19M "expected views" for The Acolyte across 5 days versus a true 14M for Ahsoka. a 30% drop means 16.8M. 

I could be 100% wrong about this (my "about 1M people in the US are actually watching X-Men week in/out" attempted extrapolation doesn't seem to match the final anecdote they dropped), but I think that very roughly translates to 100M minutes viewed in the US on day 1 (which you could then compare to Sunday anecdotes for new shows by GrimReaperTV guy). 

So, it turns out I was insanely aggressive here (and thus the anecdote was insanely cherry picked - I notice they didn't publish it as a stand alone press release). 

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/acolyte-biggest-series-premiere-disney-plus-2024/

After taking a lightspeed trip to 4.8 million views in one day, The Acolyte’s premiere episode drove 11.1 million views* globally based on five days of streaming, maintaining its status as the biggest series premiere on Disney+ of 2024. [Ahsoka at 14M across 5 days]

Premiere episode sticks out to me given they dropped 2 episodes not 1. What's the decay rate? 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

Maybe they will do a documentary on the history of Donald Duck the way the did with Mickey Mouse with "Mickey"Story of a Mouse" which was excellent.

irony is DOnald was created so he could do all the nasty things that Mickey could no longer do after Mickey became so beloved of kids that Disney had to make mickey near perfect to set a good example for ids, or face a lot of criticism.

What is interesting is that during World War 2 Mickey pretty much kept on the Home front, DOnald was the one who went into the  Army . And of course Donald starrted in Disney's best known World War 2 cartoon, "Der Fuehrer's Face" .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

So, it turns out I was insanely aggressive here (and thus the anecdote was insanely cherry picked - I notice they didn't publish it as a stand alone press release). 

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/acolyte-biggest-series-premiere-disney-plus-2024/

Premiere episode sticks out to me given they dropped 2 episodes not 1. What's the decay rate? 

There's been discussion about this in the Streaming Tracking thread, but that number is actually a bit higher than my expectations.  

Taken at face value, it's about 80% of Ahsoka and probably a pip or three above Andor.  Which honestly seems about right to me.

We'll know more once the Nielsen data starts rolling out, as that's where we have the most comparative data.

• Like 1

@PlatnumRoyce

BTW, they used that exact same terminology when talking about Ahsoka's first five days:

Lucasfilm and The Walt Disney Company are thrilled and humbled to announce that Part One of Ahsoka, "Master and Apprentice," was the most-watched title on Disney+ this past week. The debut episode garnered 14 million views, making the series number one globally on the streaming platform.

Just the way Disney talks about things in releases.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2024 at 12:51 PM, Porthos said:

@PlatnumRoyce

BTW, they used that exact same terminology when talking about Ahsoka's first five days:

Just the way Disney talks about things in releases.

Yeah, very much a typical PR release. 

And I think 
Most watched show this week is not that impressive. Something has to be the most watched show.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reddroast said:

Oh wow. He's gone full asskisser. 

And of course, this costs Disney nothing. "First Look" means Disney gets the first oppoturnity to fund one of Johnson's projects. Underline opportunity. They are under no obligation to fund it.

Not a big deal, "First Look" happens all the time.

34 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And of course, this costs Disney nothing. "First Look" means Disney gets the first oppoturnity to fund one of Johnson's projects. Underline opportunity. They are under no obligation to fund it.

Not a big deal, "First Look" happens all the time.

It was said in jest. It's a reference to a famous wrestling promo

3 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Inside out 2 really shows Disney misfortunes mostly came from unappealing and bad content

If they make appealing or good stuff people will watch in droves. 

While true, it's taking a lot more to get people out to theaters these days.

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

While true, it's taking a lot more to get people out to theaters these days.

that is why i said it not only has to be a good film but also be appealing. 

inside out 1 was a very popular film so it had brand working for it and buzz around the film is solid so people thought it worth checking out.

3 hours ago, Torontofan said:

that is why i said it not only has to be a good film but also be appealing. 

inside out 1 was a very popular film so it had brand working for it and buzz around the film is solid so people thought it worth checking out.

That doesn't tell us shit we don't already know. Audiences going for IP and shit 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Inside out 2 really shows Disney misfortunes mostly came from unappealing and bad content

If they make appealing or good stuff people will watch in droves. 

Elementals' awful opening doesn't fit with that hypothesis. People genuinely liked the film, but they just didn't give it a chance on release.