A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

14 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

It sucks Ms. Marvel did so low compared to other MCU shows cause that one is probably my favourite when all is said and done, but it sounds like it hit the demos they wanted (did better with teens/young adults) so my guess is they'll probably make at least a second season.

There is a lot of talk about how valid this Samba numbers actually are, so I wouldn’t sweat on that. Ms. Marvel is the first making the jump to the actual big screen and in my book Iman earned that with the show. 

Thing to consider is that Samba is extremely unreliable. What Samba TV actually tracks are households with smart TVs using a specific tracking app only.

People watching on tablets, computers, consoles or smartphones are not counted. People watching on Apple TV like myself? Not counted. That’s likely the reason why Ms Marvel, which Samba TV noted skewed highly with younger demos did so "poorly", because its biggest demo was probably not watching from Smart TVs.

What’s more, to give you some perspective: we get actual numbers from Netflix and we can contrast those with the ones Samba releases. Let’s take  Extraction 2. Samba says that in the first 4 days, Extraction 2 was viewed by 2.1 million households. Netflix official numbers for the first 3 days of Extraction 2 show it being viewed for 88.4 million hours or 42.8 million total views. So Samba is off by more than 20x under counting for the things we have real numbers for. It’s way too unreliable for us to consider as a reliable marker.

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

It sucks Ms. Marvel did so low compared to other MCU shows cause that one is probably my favourite when all is said and done, but it sounds like it hit the demos they wanted (did better with teens/young adults) so my guess is they'll probably make at least a second season.

I can't agree.

Ms. Marvel was like Falcon/Winter soldier; it got too preachy.

Way too much time spent on the mosque; It's "look, your typical Mosque is just like  then your typical Church Or Synogogue" message got plain boring after a while. And I could have done without stopping the main plot for a history lesson about the 1947 Partition.

It was'nt bad overall, but a long way from being one of the better Marvel shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2023 at 12:50 PM, ZattMurdock said:

has anyone else noticed yet that the “hulk collection” on the bottom of the marvel studios page on Disney plus doesn’t even include Incredible Hulk despite that being on Disney plus now. But she-hulk is on there lol

Edited by eddyxx

Without actually looking at the comps given on the last page, as a general note Samba TV is not that reliable and not much should be thought of Secret Invasion's numbers until we get more reliable Nielsen data in a few weeks.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I can't agree.

Way too much time spent on the mosque; It's "look, your typical Mosque is just like  then your typical Church Or Synogogue" message got plain boring after a while. And I could have done without stopping the main plot for a history lesson about the 1947 Partition.

It was'nt bad overall, but a long way from being one of the better Marvel shows.

I liked both of those plots better than whatever the hell the clandestines was supposed to be about.

I watched the Stan Lee documentary. I give it credit for not ignoring the issue of Lee's stormy relations with some of his artists.

Some of what Stan says is disingenious; he told a "half  truth" in how he got his start at Timely/Marvel; He said his uncle worked there and got him a job. what Lee left out is that his uncle, Martin Goodman, did not work at Timely, he owned the damn company. I guess Lee thought it would reek less of nepotism the way he told it.

A lot of it was taken from other shows, the A and E Stan Lee episode of the A and E "Biography" series in particular.

One nice bit was the footage from a TV show circa 1969 with Lee, a couple of comic book fans a,d Julius Shwartz, head of DC at the time. When Schwartz baiscially dismissed the idea that comic look readers wanted more challenging stories,l, and basically waved off the sucess of Marvel in gaining older readers, he showed why, by the mid Seventies, Marvel was out selling  DC 2 to 1 and DC was on the verge of bankruptcy. DC managment just totally did not get the changes that swept America in the late Sixties and early Seventies. They did make some attempts to get more "Hip" but it came off as really forced. Neal Adams And Danny O

Neill did some good work with their Green Lantern/Green Arrow series ,, and they took Batman back to his dark roots,and Kirby had his Fourth World,  but it was too little too late and only a total change of management with Jennnete Kahn taking over  ,and the sucess of the Chris Reeves Superman film saved DC.

19 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I liked both of those plots better than whatever the hell the clandestines was supposed to be about.

Weakest part of the show for sure, they felt rushed. Like the idea of them and how they tie into the overall themes but it's clear that they were either a mandated villain group or some kind of last minute decision, which sucks. The actual slice of life stuff, the bits at the mosque, the Partition bit, and the character dynamics were the stuff that really grabbed me, loved that stuff.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I can't agree.

Ms Marvel is not only the best MCU show, it is in my top 5 of MCU things in general.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

1 hour ago, ChipDerby said:

Ms Marvel is not only the best MCU show, it is in my top 5 of MCU things in general.

The more I think about, the more I feel like She-Hulk is my favorite MCU show. The format just fits with the character so perfectly. It’s superhero Ally McBeal, it’s like the show was designed to please me lol.

• Astonished 1

Disney should just scrap anymore MCU shows.

They just are not good. They are watering down the product. 

The fact they actually made a show because a song became a meme is just inane.

Werewolf by night and Loki are fine, everything else is varying degrees of bad.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 2

Just now, Dominic Draper said:

Disney should just scrap anymore MCU shows.

They just are not good. They are watering down the product. 

The fact they actually made a show because a song became a meme is just inane.

Werewolf by night and Loki are fine, everything else is varying degrees of bad.

Nah, thank god they don’t make decisions over message board talk. There hasn’t been a single bad MCU show so far, and no one needs to follow everything. Follow and watch what interests you. I’m hyped af for Daredevil and I need a She-Hulk second season to happen.

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Nah, thank god they don’t make decisions over message board talk. There hasn’t been a single bad MCU show so far, and no one needs to follow everything. Follow and watch what interests you. I’m hyped af for Daredevil and I need a She-Hulk second season to happen.

Well seems like they have slowed down on making them massively, so thank god for that.

Must have realized they were actively hurting the brand.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Well seems like they have slowed down on making them massively, so thank god for that.

Must have realized they were actively hurting the brand.

Daredevil is an 18 episode show that was paralyzed during the strike, and Feige confirmed recently that more shows will be getting a second season. For those that take their news from the Grace Rundolphs of the internet that might be the case, but it’s obvious that they are still making more MCU shows. We have an WGA strike ongoing with a pending SAG strike that could start in July. No shows or films will be announced around that.

3 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Daredevil is an 18 episode show that was paralyzed during the strike, and Feige confirmed recently that more shows will be getting a second season. For those that take their news from the Grace Rundolphs of the internet that might be the case, but it’s obvious that they are still making more MCU shows. We have an WGA strike ongoing with a pending SAG strike that could start in July. No shows or films will be announced around that.

Is that why armor wars was removed as a show and made a movie and echo is being cold dumped all at once?

Edited by Dominic Draper
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Is that why armor wars was removed as a show and made a movie and echo is being cold dumped all at once?

And instead of referencing Grace Randolph, you could just reference Kevin Fiege's comments when he announced a scaling back of MCU TV content.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

The more I think about, the more I feel like She-Hulk is my favorite MCU show. The format just fits with the character so perfectly. It’s superhero Ally McBeal, it’s like the show was designed to please me lol.

I liked it also, but part of that is  sister is a practicing Attorneym and a lot of the humor is reflective of how law offices operate.

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

So an analyst said that Disney lost 900m from their last 11 movies and it kinda went viral.

What do ya'll think?

I think social media has killed all reasonable discourse and we have too many armchair analysts. 

Edited by ZattMurdock
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

So an analyst said that Disney lost 900m from their last 11 movies and it kinda went viral.

What do ya'll think?

Doesn't sound right but I haven't thought about it much. What's the math there?

Edited by JustLurking