A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

On 10/2/2023 at 5:22 AM, Issac Newton said:

Hayao Miyazaki comment on Disney Movies

Studio Ghibli signed a partnership deal for global distribution for 15 years with the company from 1996 to 2011. Disney also agreed to finance 10% of all of their movies production cost during this period.

I really hate what the mouse has become so I don't disagree with Miyazaki's comments, but if it weren't for that Disney partnership, Ghibli would not be globally recognized and mainstream as they are today.

Edited by Boxx93

39 minutes ago, Boxx93 said:

Studio Ghibli signed a partnership deal for global distribution for 15 years with the company from 1996 to 2011. Disney also agreed to finance 10% of all of their movies production cost during this period.

I really hate what the mouse has become so I don't disagree with Miyazaki's comments, but if it weren't for that Disney partnership, Ghibli would not be globally recognized and mainstream as they are today.

Just FYI: He made these comments in 2004. Idk why it's being brought up again...

“…Marvel is making concrete changes in how it makes TV. It now has plans to hire showrunners. Gao’s postproduction work on She-Hulk helped Marvel see that it would be helpful for its shows to have a creative throughline from start to finish”

She-Hulk nation wins! Will say this, it’s telling Moon Girl, a Disney Channel children cartoon was Marvel’s best show since 2015 Daredevil because it had clear showrunners, and people who actually knew the TV medium and was an actual tv show and not a 6-9 episode event.

On 10/6/2023 at 2:38 PM, Boxx93 said:

I think that Hayao Miyazaki pretty much never liked Disney movies so it's not a matter of what The Mouse has become.

24 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I cancelled my D+ subscription. Price increase is ridiculous. They did not even try to do it slowly. 

I will get it like month or 2 every year if I really want to watch something. I would rather get dvd from my local library 🙂 I have zero interest in the gazillion SW/Marvel tv series any way. 

They're rolling out a bundle with Hulu which is why the price is going up. It's like 19.99 ad free for both. Which is a good price but it's also why they're now so high individually 

39 minutes ago, Dominic Draper said:

Very weird they're overhauling the TV side when mcu fans repeatedly tell us nothing is wrong, the shows are all great and popular.

Has Feige consulted with them?

The shows have mostly gotten good reviews outside of Secret Invasion. Loki just had a huge launch.

4 hours ago, YM! said:

“…Marvel is making concrete changes in how it makes TV. It now has plans to hire showrunners. Gao’s postproduction work on She-Hulk helped Marvel see that it would be helpful for its shows to have a creative throughline from start to finish”

She-Hulk nation wins! Will say this, it’s telling Moon Girl, a Disney Channel children cartoon was Marvel’s best show since 2015 Daredevil because it had clear showrunners, and people who actually knew the TV medium and was an actual tv show and not a 6-9 episode event.

The shows division of MCU may be the least of their concerns after The Marvels likely gives them another big film bomb… 

6 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

They're rolling out a bundle with Hulu which is why the price is going up. It's like 19.99 ad free for both. Which is a good price but it's also why they're now so high individually 

At some point they have to merge these services. will happen once Comcast stake is bought out next year. I dont see why we have to pay for 2 different streaming services that is providing entertainment(movies/web series/shows). I dont see the value at $20. But for hardcore fans there is some value. 

We will see the impact in next earnings call. They are also going after password sharing. That could either help with more folks signing up for ads based or drop in subs. Only time will tell. 

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

At some point they have to merge these services. will happen once Comcast stake is bought out next year. I dont see why we have to pay for 2 different streaming services that is providing entertainment(movies/web series/shows). I dont see the value at $20. But for hardcore fans there is some value. 

They announced they were rolling out an app with both of them this year together but idk if that was delayed

7 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

How many of their film problems would have been solved by simply making Loki a big theatrical event?

It could have paid off to do that vs Thor 4 (knowing the script they had for that). But it probably wouldn’t have made a huge difference in the overall state of MCU currently. It’s definitely a matter of more than just one movie.