A Marvel Fanboy

The Disney Thread | Happy 90th to Donald Duck!

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well two things can both be true. The flip side of it is you can see them as trying to maintain as much a staff as possible while still trying to cut costs as much as possible 

We sorta saw this already with them letting go of Susman and Maclane last year. Yeah, they were responsible for Lightyear and it was a convenient rationale, but they were still long time employees who probably had contractual pay bumps as long as they remained there.

Is pretty shocking to see Cat Hicks go though, she was the most public engaging employee on a day to day basis

Surprised at Hicks going myself.

I suspect she will not have hard time getting a new job, though.

It is sad, yes, but the film ndustry has never been where you go if job security is your major concern. I thas always been a very unstable industry. I can't see anything to change that. It goes back to every time there are economic jitters, people's entertainment budget is the first thing to get cut, and that impacts the film industry.

Edited by dudalb

15 minutes ago, AniNate said:

There's clearly not that much money to be made in big budget streaming content, so whatever their plans are I don't doubt a return to focus on features is a big part of it

No doubt they overspent hugely on live acton streaming shows. There is a good reason why TV shows have always had a low budget compared to movies.

But if you think streming is going away , you are living in Fantasy Land. things are NEVER going back to the way they were pre 202o.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, AniNate said:

If they let go of Casarosa, Shi, or Sohn that would make me side eye

They won't. Well Sohn might have been gone if Elemental tanked but it didn't. Domee Shi just got promoted to vice president two years ago so I don't think they'll be going back on that so soon. I heard they weren't targeting management. Dunno about Casarosa, though.

Edited by cannastop

Posted (edited)

Sad to see the layoffs at Pixar, I'm sure the big names that get let go (like Cat Hicks) will get another job fairly easily if they desire it. But young and less well known animators might struggle especially as other animation studios are hiring more offshore. 

It really sucks and it feels pretty dumb to move away from Disney+ without even launching a full length original series, to see how it performs, from either Pixar or WDAS first, it seems like Win or Lose and Tiana will be the only ones to come from the 2 studios. 

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

It really sucks and it feels pretty dumb to move away from Disney+ without even launching a full length original series, to see how it performs, from either Pixar or WDAS first, it seems like Win or Lose and Tiana will be the only ones to come from the 2 studios. 

Well honestly, if even the short form IP stuff like Cars on the Road or Zootopia+ aren't moving the needle in a positive direction, I doubt long form works are gonna so much more impactful. 

Maybe sometime later on if they have a few more feature hits under their belt I'm sure they'd be open to experimenting with a serialized format again, but right now they know the movies are what has worked best for them

8 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Well honestly, if even the short form IP stuff like Cars on the Road or Zootopia+ aren't moving the needle in a positive direction, I doubt long form works are gonna so much more impactful. 

Maybe sometime later on if they have a few more feature hits under their belt I'm sure they'd be open to experimenting with a serialized format again, but right now they know the movies are what has worked best for them

With Disney moving back to animated sequels box office will certainly get a boost. 

I can't see them changing direction anytime soon as far as moving back to series. That said I do understand why they are doing what they are doing you just have to look at how Moana, Encanto, Turning Red and more have performed compared to other films and series on Disney+, it makes sense to push these ahead of series (which are unknown) for engagement reasons if you're looking to cost cut/don't want to disrupt the pipeline of your best performing titles (big budget animated films) on the service. I still stand by my statement that it is dumb to do this before even seeing how things perform in regards to Win or Lose or Tiana though, I also suspect those titles won't get a huge marketing push either now as there is little incentive to put more money into a strategy that is no longer around.  

• Like 1

Both series have already been delayed at least a year, and the move to make the Moana series a cinematic sequel I think was motivated in part by a desire to tap into the theater revenue stream with it. I suspect both W+L and Tiana ended up taking a lot more time and resources than the Chapek regime had budgeted for them.

If by some miracle Win or Lose does manage to become some kind of zeitgeisty watercooler thing, even if it's just through word-of-mouth, I'm sure that might encourage Pixar to reconsider serial content. But that stuff probably takes at least as much development time as the movies with a far less clear-cut revenue stream like theater and VOD sales to assess their value, and as long as it remains uncertain just how lucrative they actually are for Pixar, they are probably better off paring down to the features to save money.

• Like 1

season 3 accident GIF

Just been told Disney is planning for a holiday release (November/December) for both Inside Out 2 and Deadpool x Wolverine for Disney+. 

8 hours ago, AniNate said:

That seems totally expected

If anything it's late. Elemental was a September Disney+ release so if Inside Out 2 isn't there until November, that's a long window.

12 hours ago, Potiki said:

season 3 accident GIF

Just been told Disney is planning for a holiday release (November/December) for both Inside Out 2 and Deadpool x Wolverine for Disney+. 

I love those sexy long theatrical windows.

16 hours ago, Potiki said:

season 3 accident GIF

No surpsie, five menoths seems to be the norm for even big hits nowdays.

You can bitch and complain, but streaming it here to stay It is not going anywhere.

7 hours ago, cannastop said:

If anything it's late. Elemental was a September Disney+ release so if Inside Out 2 isn't there until November, that's a long window.

3 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I love those sexy long theatrical windows.

It is more in line with Wish and Indy 5 than Elemental, I also think they might hold back IO2 for December (around Xmas) so it doesn't impact Moana 2 as much but that is just speculation on my part so take with even more salt than the previous post.