RySenkari

The Movieman! - Year 1

American Idols seemed just a bit melodramatic to me, seemed like it was trying to graft the methodology of the Aryan Brotherhood onto a high school clique and while it was an interesting film it just got to be a clusterf**k, especially at the end.Spellforce had great special effects and some dramatic and intriguing scenes, but the film itself was quite confusing. It seemed like the main character was bouncing from one place to another, it was hard to keep the various characters straight and I found myself in a position where I didn't really care about any of them which is one of the worst things that can happen to a film.

Apocalypse is a ground-breaking disaster/alien invasion film, in a lot of ways a hybrid of Avatar and Independence Day with the best parts of both and the worst parts excised. It's great seeing a war between humans and aliens both inverted and then played straight. Very tragic, filled with magnificent performances and incredible action. It could be the blockbuster of the year.

• Like 1

Not all of us are on that train though.

For And the Band Played On, perhaps you could shed some light on what male actors should be pushed for an Oscar. Nothing for me really sticks out as a lead since it's an ensemble film but maybe you have an idea about if one male role really dominates. Also for supporting I'm unsure who to push since there's a few options in my mind and I don't want to push more than 2 to avoid a major vote split.

Oops, sorry about that. Your best bets for Best Actor are probably George Clooney and Bradley Cooper. Push them both.

I'd push Clooney for Supporting since his role is essentially the dramatic antagonist to both Caviezel's and Amalric's characters so he sort of piggybacks onto their narrative arcs. Cooper was definitely one of the roles I was going to push for something since his arc's the most tragic. Thanks for the ideas.

*as Hunch's flashbacks go, we see a fuzzy looking screen done in TV/movie style where it looks diffrent* :PBut yeah that was a very enjoyable trilogy. You probably do remember me liking those quite a bit.

Are there even five actresses that will be in the Best Actress category? I counted like four in the FYC thread.

If I need to I could push the Spring Awakening actress, even though IRL it wouldn't happen unless it was a mega box office breakout with some critical raves.