lilmac

Hail, Caesar! | Feb 5 2016 | Coen Bros comedy. Clooney, Brolin, Fiennes, Swinton, Scarlett, Tatum and Hill.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

can i just say for real malkovich hacking richard jenkins to death in the middle of the street is legit the most disturbing thing in any of the brothers' films. the cloon is fucking hilarious in that one though.

Yeah I've only seen the movie once and I still vividly remember that. It's some dark shit. Yet it co-exists perfectly with the hilarity/stupidity. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Yeah I've only seen the movie once and I still vividly remember that. It's some dark shit. Yet it co-exists perfectly with the hilarity/stupidity. 

It doesn't co-exist well.  The OTT violence, mean spiritedness, the utter contempt for all the characters leeched all the humor out for me.  There's black humor and then there's just dark gross out shit that's not funny.  It trod well over the line that that they navigated perfectly in Fargo.  I have only watched it once even though I own it and will never watch it again.

Edited by TalismanRing

• Community Manager
7 hours ago, filmlover said:

I don't think they decided to dump it when they put in February. Maybe it just isn't an awards film and they didn't want everyone to think it was by giving it a year end release. It happens.

Then release it in March/April? I mean February is a dumping ground.

43 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

My guess is they knew this wasn't Oscar bait, Coen zany comedies aren't, and they saw how well Grand Budapest did with a similar release date. Hell the 2nd trailer even played up the Ralph Fiennes in a comedic role aspect of the film.

Edited by Biph Shmata
  • Like 3

• Community Manager

8 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

March is packed this year. Also April is totally a dumping ground as well

April is better than February and this has a pretty great cast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Yeah, I didn't care that much for BURN, though of course it has its moments. 

This one is great, though -- reminded me a lot of HUDSUCKER PROXY in terms of tone. The actual plan of the "villains" is legit LOL.... it's like the nightmares of Ronald Reagan and John Wayne come to life. 

The final scene with the "villains" was fantastic. I honestly felt like the obnoxious guy who was laughing too frequently and too loudly.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Water Bottle said:

April is better than February and this has a pretty great cast.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

February is hardly a total dumping ground anymore. The LEGO Movie opened in February and was both one of the biggest hits and most acclaimed movies of that year.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
1 hour ago, filmlover said:

February is hardly a total dumping ground anymore. The LEGO Movie opened in February and was both one of the biggest hits and most acclaimed movies of that year.

And January had Cloverfield and American Sniper's wide release and Ride Along?  There's like one movie now in February that is released in the month not to be dumped but because the rest of the movies that have been dumped there it gives it light competition. This year that movie is obviously Deadpool.

17 minutes ago, Empire said:

Saw this today & I loved it! Alden Ehrenreich stole the movie! Anyone who says this is lesser Coens is nuts!

Now that I will agree with. Dude needs to become a star ASAP. I already made Rami Malek happen, time to make him my next project that I can work my magic on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

This was not an awards movie at all. The only thing it would've competed for was like Best Costumes. The decision to release it early in the year away from any kind of award discussion was a smart one.

I'm more thinking like SAG Ensemble, and the sets and everything. Probabyl would've snuck into Origianl Screenplay too, and I could've seen it getting into BP with that expanded lineup. It's a movie about movies!

• Like 1