baumer

Wknd Estimates: Godzilla - 93.2M

What I always wanted to know is why Avengers had a 1.85:1 aspect ratio when everything else in MCU is pretty much 2.35:1...I think Age of Ultron is 1.85:1 too...I wonder if Whedon just prefers it for some reason...

I think he said he wanted it to take up more of the IMAX screens.

I really liked John Carter. It was terrifically fun.

But it does go to show, you can't go avant garde in the advertising and expect to connect with the general public. That superbowl ad remains one of the most impressively obtuse pieces of advertising I've ever seen for a film. It's kinda brilliant, in a way.

Yeah, I really liked the film too. Its underrated as hell. I do agree that the marketing was a mess, even though it actually got me interested in the film.

• Like 1

Have fun. The IMAX 3D did nothing for me besides putting me death with the roar.

Ha, well I shall report back. Most people hate 3D but I love it when it is done right so I am very curious to see how they handled the conversion (I thought Pacific Rim looked great in IMAX 3D). 

What I always wanted to know is why Avengers had a 1.85:1 aspect ratio when everything else in MCU is pretty much 2.35:1...I think Age of Ultron is 1.85:1 too...I wonder if Whedon just prefers it for some reason...

The cinematographer even noted that shooting in 1.85:1 "is kind of unusual for an epic film like this," but they needed to fit the Hulk's height on screen next to the shorter characters (like the Black Widow)If they had stuck to the 2.35:1, then if they were to fit the Hulk on screen, everyone else would look even shorter and smaller by comparison. 

other movies iron man cap etc had no one like hulk to stand next to them

• Like 3

I think he said he wanted it to take up more of the IMAX screens.

I always liked the idea of the solo MCU films being in scope and then opening up for The Avengers when they all come together. Works on a story level but rumor has it that Whedon is going scope for TA2. 

The cinematographer even noted that shooting in 1.85:1 "is kind of unusual for an epic film like this," but they needed to fit the Hulk's height on screen next to the shorter characters (like the Black Widow)If they had stuck to the 2.35:1, then if they were to fit the Hulk on screen, everyone else would look even shorter and smaller by comparison. 

other movies iron man cap etc had no one like hulk to stand next to them

thats nice.

I just noticed Godzilla's cinematographer was Seamus McGarvey, the guy who did the Avengers cinematography. Clearly he was being held back by Whedon. Hopefully they do a much better job on TA2's cinematography.

The cinematography in this movie was ridiculously beautiful. I will give it that much. The visuals were pretty top notch all around. 

• Like 6

Was she all Posted Image

or was she Posted Image

She was like "uhh why do you talk about fake movie scores by Rush but not actually listen to their music?" lol

But not in those words :P I changed the subject quickly afterwards

• Like 2

The cinematography in this movie was ridiculously beautiful. I will give it that much. The visuals were pretty top notch all around. 

Yep, they pretty much nailed the visual homage to the 1954 film. Unfortunately the story isn't anywhere near as good.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2