Noctis

Potter - when will it get the recognition it deserves? FFS

I was fine with the others, because in the back of my head, I knew we still had the last film to look forward to, and they would want to reward it.

Deathly Hallows 2 is the highest rated of any wide release by critics, with an average of 8.4/10 (100% with top critics and an 8.8 average). It has an 87 on Metacritic, and a 93 on the BFCA (the highest of any film in 2011). Yet it keeps getting snubbed.

I'm sorry for sounding agitating, but I think it is such a horrid shame that a franchise that has put so much heart, soul, and effort into their films go unrecognized. ALL the films have been well received by critics (thought to varying degrees), with the last ranking among one of the most critically acclaimed films of all time.

There has never been anything like the Potter franchise, nor will there ever be. To see one of the most beloved franchises go unnoticed is ridiculous.

But, you know what? Fuck them. We've come to accept that Potter will continue to go unnoticed. I'm just really disappointed that even with the huge critical acclaim, they haven't been nominating it as much as it should.

Also, a fucking dick move by WB for causing tension among the voters to have to choose between Fiennes and Rickman. The vast majority of Potter fans are angered (and rightfully so) for them wanting to promote Fiennes more than Rickman.

/endfuckingrant

Edited by Noctis
  • Like 1

I like my favourite movies and filmmakers to be rewarded as much as the next guy but some people take these awards way too seriously.

+1. I said in another thread, Just be happy you have a great movie.And the answer to this question is that it's just not the kind of movie academy members like. Never taken it seriously. Edited by CoolioD1

It's been many years since the Oscars have given out a special honorary award, especially for a film. Previously, they used to do it for categories that weren't established (such as giving out a Special Visual Effects award in a year where VFX wasn't its own category).Let DH2 get nominated for the People's Choice Awards, the MTV Awards, etc -- that's the best reflection of their popularity.

But as Noctis said the decade long production is something to be recognized as it was never done and will probably never be done again. They've kept the same cast throughout, same producers, same screenwriter etc. and delivered top quality for the most part. It's a monumental achievement which can't be denied.It doesn't deserve best film but it does deserve something to recognize its contribution best, not just a simple nomination or win for visual effects or whatever it can possibly get nominated and win for.

In my personal opinion, as someone who has seen all the Harry Potter movies and enjoyed them, the movie just isn't good enough to be nominated for any of the prestige Academy awards (Best Film, Director, Adapted Screenplay etc.) - the best you could hope for was a best-supporting actor nod but that is extremely unlikely.Technical nominations/awards are probably the only ones you'll get.Just out of interest - what prior academy awards have the HP movies been nominated for/won.

But as Noctis said the decade long production is something to be recognized as it was never done and will probably never be done again. They've kept the same cast throughout, same producers, same screenwriter etc. and delivered top quality for the most part. It's a monumental achievement which can't be denied.It doesn't deserve best film but it does deserve something to recognize its contribution best, not just a simple nomination or win for visual effects or whatever it can possibly get nominated and win for.

So what do you call it? Special Award in Tribute of a Long Production? The movies have been of variable quality, ranging from mediocre to good. In terms of cast, yes, it's quite nice that they kept all the cast members, but that's credit to locking them up to longer-term deals -- a smart financial decision, certainly... but not exactly worth a tribute. (The Star Trek films, for example, kept the same cast from '77 through '91 and six movies.)The best tribute to the HP series is that it's made bank worldwide.

An entire generation grew up with these films and characters. Nothing like that has ever happened. It's especially resonant for the ones who LITERALLY grew up with the trio.PoA was certainly worthy of a Best Picture nomination, so was DH1 and DH2.

You mean, like all the Oscar nominations the Star Wars saga got? For better or worse, that was the first (and biggest) of the generational epics.If you want to argue the books are worthy of special praise, then sure. (I might disagree, but I wouldn't quibble). The movies -- as separate from the books, taken as their own entities -- not so much. Again, that a generation of kids has grown up with them means they've made a ton of money and made a special impact. The best way to pay tribute to Potter is to recognize and acknowledge that the series made $7 billion worldwide, meaning that it had a big impact on a wide swath of moviegoers across all cultures. But the Oscars are not a great way to acknowledge cultural impact, since the collective membership is so small and inclusive.

when twilight gets a nom for anything , although i think they could rightfully argue for a special effects nom....so basically never, even though i agree alan rickman should get a nom even if he won't, lord of the rings this is not! and mind you LOTR never got singled out for individuals performance maybe andy serkis but i'm not sure at all

Potter has never been good enough to be a serious Academy contender. It really is that simple, and only delusional fanboys act like Potter has been disrespected over and over again. In reality, it's a somewhat entertaining fantasy saga that has good films and bad films, but not one single great film.It's cool though, I'm sure it'll sweep the Kids' Choice Awards......well, that is if it can beat out its Twilight competition.

• Like 1

Potter has never been good enough to be a serious Academy contender. It really is that simple, and only delusional fanboys act like Potter has been disrespected over and over again. In reality, it's a somewhat entertaining fantasy saga that has good films and bad films, but not one single great film.It's cool though, I'm sure it'll sweep the Kids' Choice Awards......well, that is if it can beat out its Twilight competition.

Have the respect to not call us delusional. Honestly, that's a ridiculous statement to call us that when we know DH2 is the highest rated film of the year. Pretentious twat.