Noctis

Potter - when will it get the recognition it deserves? FFS

• Founder / Operator

Eh, its pretty far off base to say that Potter will outlast either of those series. LOTR survived quite well for half a century before any movies were made, and Star Wars is still the definitive template for a major successful original film franchise. There's really no need to try and put any of them in a higher class than the other because they all have unique circumstances, and they will all become timeless classics (if they aren't already).On equal playing fields? Yes. But its a gross misconception by anyone to think that Star Wars wasn't a huge cultural phenomenon around the world. Same for LOTR. All evidence to the contrary, in fact.

Edited by ShawnMR

I agree, with Noctis but I think that's because there's simply less in the LOTR films to have such a big cultural impact on the world. For Star Wars, you have the light-sabers, vader, Spaceships etc, for Potter there's Hogwarts, Quidditch, wands etc; all stuff that can easily be translated into merchandise, or theme parks... For LOTR, it's not so easy. It's also down to the fanbases. They play a huge role. Potter and SW have the most dedicated, (and rabid) fanbases ever. Nothing compares.This isn't to say the LOTR films aren't absolutely incredible though. The trilogy is the greatest set of fantasy films in history. I'd say they'd be remembered for longer than the HP movies would.... But the brand of 'Potter' will be passed on through each generation. That's my opinion.

Potter's largest factor to its popularity will always be the books - and I think I can very safely say that the books themselves will last far more than the Star Wars films. That's what will make Potter last longer than Star Wars in the end - the books. These books have become classics, and they can be adapted into film with each new generation. The same cannot be said for Star Wars (unless they make new ones, of course).Even when comparing the film series, Potter in many countries has always been a larger cultural event than Star Wars - including the OT (Germany, France, Australia, Russia (obv), Japan, China, etc). As for the Potter books, they were, in the end, a larger cultural event than the Star Wars films. I mean, 400m copies sold in 11 years (450m now), that's just staggering. But even in films, The Lord of the Rings isn't something that can beat Star Wars or Potter. It's true, because there have been countless people who work at stores that said parents buy those two series to introduce to their children. As much as I love LoTR, and as large as the films were, they never had the cultural impact of those two.

I'm sorry but LOTR and Star Wars had much more of a cultural impact than potter.

I'm sorry but LOTR and Star Wars had much more of a cultural impact than potter.

I can't entirely agree with that. I can argue the Star Wars part, but not LOTR. I love that series, but yeah Potter is more in pop culture than LOTR has ever been. With the books, merchandising, etc, it is hard to deny that it has had a bigger impact than LOTR.

I don't understand why some people gloss over the impact of the books. As massive as the movies were, they books were much larger. I mean, the books sold 400m copies in eleven years - that i something not even LoTR came close to achieving. There will never be anything like Potter.

You must be smokin' shit Noctis to think that LOTR or SW haven't had cultural impact. Without those 2 series Harry Potter movies would have never been made and remember that LOTR books was written way back in the 60s I think.

Potter's largest factor to its popularity will always be the books - and I think I can very safely say that the books themselves will last far more than the Star Wars films. That's what will make Potter last longer than Star Wars in the end - the books. These books have become classics, and they can be adapted into film with each new generation. The same cannot be said for Star Wars (unless they make new ones, of course).Even when comparing the film series, Potter in many countries has always been a larger cultural event than Star Wars - including the OT (Germany, France, Australia, Russia (obv), Japan, China, etc).As for the Potter books, they were, in the end, a larger cultural event than the Star Wars films. I mean, 400m copies sold in 11 years (450m now), that's just staggering.But even in films, The Lord of the Rings isn't something that can beat Star Wars or Potter. It's true, because there have been countless people who work at stores that said parents buy those two series to introduce to their children.As much as I love LoTR, and as large as the films were, they never had the cultural impact of those two.

This. Well the last part. And I thought it said LOTR AND SW, but I see it's only LOTR.

I'm not saying LotR didn't penetrate the mainstream, because it obviously did. But not to the point of Potter and Star Wars.

The difference is Lord Of The Rings was actually good, and therefore will be the remembered film. There are tons of films that were not hits at the time that are remembered a lot more then huge hits at the time because of the quality. Potter won't survive just because it was a hit. Lord Of The Rings will because it is more then that.

• Founder / Operator

It requires a very short attention span to not see the cultural impact of LOTR, if I can be frank.Potter wouldn't exist without it. That's not my opinion, either. LOTR is responsible for fantasy as we know it today, just like Beowulf was a major influence on it. It was essentially the most successful book series of the 20th century, second only to things like the Bible and the Koran. Its literally the foundation of most modern fantasy mythologies. It has an incredibly diverse range of fans, probably even wider in age range than either SW or HP.Just because many of you/us aren't old enough to remember these things, it doesn't make them less true. I think it just serves to prove how easily fandom can cloud perception, no offense to anyone.In 30 years, young people will be saying very similar things about Potter. Guaranteed. Circle of life. :P

It requires a very short attention span to not see the cultural impact of LOTR, if I can be frank.Potter wouldn't exist without it. That's not my opinion, either. LOTR is responsible for fantasy as we know it today, just like Beowulf was a major influence on it. It was essentially the most successful book series of the 20th century, second only to things like the Bible and the Koran. Its literally the foundation of most modern fantasy mythologies. It has an incredibly diverse range of fans, probably even wider in age range than either SW or HP.Just because many of you/us aren't old enough to remember these things, it doesn't make them less true. I think it just serves to prove how easily fandom can cloud perception, no offense to anyone.In 30 years, young people will be saying very similar things about Potter. Guaranteed. Circle of life. :P

You pretty much nailed it here(except for the last sentence) which is why Noctis is such a joke sometimes. Even the most popular video game in history, the Warcraft franchise, echoes Lord of the Rings from a mile away.

You pretty much nailed it here(except for the last sentence) which is why Noctis is such a joke sometimes. Even the most popular video game in history, the Warcraft franchise, echoes Lord of the Rings from a mile away.

Warcraft is not the most popular game in history.