Noctis

Potter - when will it get the recognition it deserves? FFS

LotR has been the foundation for every fantasy-related works of art of the past four decades (possibly even longer than that). Movies, games, comics, music groups, books, artwork you name it. As Shawn said, Potter wouldn't have existed in it's current form without it.

Edited by C00k13

Warcraft is not the most popular game in history.

Irrelevant point really, since it is an incredibly popular franchise (regardless of ranking) and it draws heavily from The Hobbit/LOTR and the modern fantasy literature genre spawned by it as inspiration.

I hate to say this but to some degree I'd even say Twilight has had a larger cultural impact than potter. The twilight saga has managed to turn vampires into sex icons and theres also been tv series that's spawned because of it like The vampire diaries and true blood.

I hate to say this but to some degree I'd even say Twilight has had a larger cultural impact than potter. The twilight saga has managed to turn vampires into sex icons and theres also been tv series that's spawned because of it like The vampire diaries and true blood.

This is why your point of view from now on will hold absolutely no weight whatsoever.

I agree. :D

An entire generation of kids grew up with it. It has cultural impact. It may not be obvious, but who needs it to be?Sure, Twilight has spawned some vampire stuff, but I don't think anyone really cares and besides baumer, who's really going to argue Twilight is better literature? It's made some impact but it'll fade much faster. It did manage to take advantage of the increasing vapid nature of teenagers though.

An entire generation of kids grew up with it. It has cultural impact. It may not be obvious, but who needs it to be?Sure, Twilight has spawned some vampire stuff, but I don't think anyone really cares and besides baumer, who's really going to argue Twilight is better literature? It's made some impact but it'll fade much faster. It did manage to take advantage of the increasing vapid nature of teenagers though.

I'm not saying twilight is better literature, I happen to think its an embarrassment to moviemaking however from what I can see its had more of a noticable impact on life.An entire generation also grew up with Star Wars, has changed the sci-fi genre as we knew it and has merchandise that's still selling like wild fire 35 years down the line yet people still believe potter has had a more cultural impact just because it sold a lot of books. I'd even argue more people have seen a star wars movie than read a Harry potter book.

It requires a very short attention span to not see the cultural impact of LOTR, if I can be frank.Potter wouldn't exist without it. That's not my opinion, either. LOTR is responsible for fantasy as we know it today, just like Beowulf was a major influence on it. It was essentially the most successful book series of the 20th century, second only to things like the Bible and the Koran. Its literally the foundation of most modern fantasy mythologies. It has an incredibly diverse range of fans, probably even wider in age range than either SW or HP.Just because many of you/us aren't old enough to remember these things, it doesn't make them less true. I think it just serves to prove how easily fandom can cloud perception, no offense to anyone.In 30 years, young people will be saying very similar things about Potter. Guaranteed. Circle of life. :P

Best post in this thread.

There is absolutely no doubt whatsoever that LoTR influenced Potter. It would be foolish and unfair to say it didn't. LoTR has had a bigger effect on the fantasy genre than Potter ever will. Potter will no doubt influence MANY in the future, but not quite like LoTR. But Potter's cultural impact is more broad, though.

Potter will no doubt influence MANY in the future, but not quite like LoTR. But Potter's cultural impact is more broad, though.

I'm not sure what you mean here. How can Potter's cultural impact be more "broad" when LotR practically created modern fantasy as we know it? Edited by C00k13

I don't like it when people use the term "created." I will definitely say that LoTR has had a bigger impact on the fantasy genre, but how did it create modern fantasy?Another thing is that Potter didn't need LoTR to become successful. It absolutely didn't. LoTR was released in the 1950s. Potter was released half a century later. Even if LoTR hadn't been released, Potter would have had no trouble achieving the success it has today.

Well if LotR was never released there wouldn't be a massive re-surge in popularity for fantasy-fiction that persists to this very day. I don't think Potter would have survived in a market were fantasy was still a niche thing.

Edited by C00k13

Potter wouldn't have even survived in the market we have today? I find that borderline incomprehensible, as these books have sold 450m copies already in 14 years. LoTR or not, they would have still been massive either way. Twilight does owe quite a bit of its success to Potter, but would it have struggled in the market if Potter had never been published? I don't think so. Sales might be a bit less, but not substantial enough.

Potter wouldn't have even survived in the market we have today? I find that borderline incomprehensible, as these books have sold 450m copies already in 14 years. LoTR or not, they would have still been massive either way.

I accidentally over-exaggerated with that it "wouldn't survive" but don't you think in a world where LotR never existed Potter would have been affected one way or another?

Affected? Sure, but in the end, by how much? I mean, let's say that if it weren't for LoTR, we can deduct Potter's current book sales by 30% (I'm just throwing a huge number, as that is not possible for anyone with a logical mind), that would make it end up with 315m copies (around Stephen King's amount).So, even with an absurd number like 30%, it would have still been a monumental success. So, yeah, the numbers basically speak for themselves. Potter didn't need LoTR to become a success. It simply didn't.Also, Potter the story is more universal than LoTR, as evidenced by HP1 selling the most tickets worldwide than any LoTR film. I love HP1 as it's the film that started it all for me, but compare it to a film like FoTR, and it's obvious the latter is vastly better. But that still didn't stop Potter from being a bigger success. HP1 is the second highest ticket seller worldwide of the last decade, bested only by Avatar.I'm not turning this into a Potter vs LoTR thread. I'm not. I'm presenting the numbers which clearly speak for themselves. Potter would have still been absolutely gigantic even without LoTR. I think some simply forget just how enormous these books were. I mean, 400m copies in 11 years is absolutely staggering.