Noctis

Potter - when will it get the recognition it deserves? FFS

Also, Potter is not an incredibly complex series. It doesn't need to be. Now, there are definitely very complex characters and subplots and the characters in general are far more fleshed out than anything in Star Wars. Emotional impact? Not even close. I only felt very, very little for Star Wars. And what a surprise, PLENTY of people in my generation do not like Star Wars or haven't seen it. Many find the "I'm your father" scene emotional, etc. I don't. It's just there. Scenes in Star Wars just cannot compare to these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SacpB6JuTCwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02412DxQ5bE

Characterization has always been much more successful with Potter. The journey of Harry, Ron, and Hermione throughout the saga is one of the most engaging coming of age tales (particularly in DH1). Like I said, Godric's Hollow Graveyard, Harry/Hermione dance, the trio saying goodbye, etc are all scenes which make the trio more popular than Luke, Leia, and Solo.

Edited by Noctis

Noctis should excuse himself from the discussion and let objective people talk. :)

Seriously, what's your problem? I have never once offended you. How am I not being objective? What did I say that was so wrong? I'm genuinely curious. And I'm not talking about my opinion on the films, but rather the facts about cultural impacts.

which make the trio more popular than Luke, Leia, and Solo.

Posted Image

Seriously, comparing "characterization" for select characters in a 7-novel series, adapted in 8 movies, to a trio of movies, the longest of which is shorter than the shortest of the first group, is retarded. Of course the 8-movie series will have "more" characterization than the 3-movie series. There's that much more time to go around. It's a purely quanitative argument.

No, just waiting for an argument from you, Heretic, or anyone on that side of the line that goes beyond:"I love HP, I think it's characters are awesome, I didn't think it was as well-done in Star Wars, therefore HP rules, SW drools, and the world agrees with me."You say "X is better" but really offer no actual support except your own perception. Give some actual analysis that goes beyond a restatement of personal preference.For example, the Prequel Trilogy of Star Wars, in the background, shows a story of an aging republican bureaucracy mired in corruption and personal advancement that is piece-by-piece dissassembled for a tyrannical regime through an elaborate series of terrible events orchestrated by a member of the democracy's own leadership to create a sensation of fear in both the popular masses and the body politic that compels them to surrender personal liberties and checks on the state mechanism in the name of "security." That storyline is a parable for modern-day democracies and the fine line they walk between policing the world and maintaining civil liberties.Now what in Harry Potter mirrors the relevancy, poignancy, or scope of that storytelling?

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

Just for the heck of it (and to stimulate my brain cause I'm still buzzing from last night):Beyond its facade of magical illusion and its flagrant display of the triumph of lightness over darkness, the Harry Potter series allegorically portrays the harsh ramifications of a society based on the prejudiced view of a hierarchical ordering of humankind to apply the Darwinian concept of "survival of the fittest" to a systematic concept of racial or statistical superiority that permeates through the novels' heavy metaphor of "pure blood" dominance in a wizarding world whose prejudices parallel the very realistic societal conflicts that have plagued humankind since the dawn of agrarian-based civilization. The series uses allusions to historically significant events, like the Holocaust, that have demonstrated the brutality and unjustice that accompanies the elitist view of a human caste system based on blood, and it attempts to enlighten us to the harsh reality of the piteous state of any society that advocates such a system of segregation that allows for potentially riotous or genocidal conflict to overwhelm a preexsting system of justice. Edited by The Creator
  • Like 3

Potter, above all, is a tale of how to deal with death in its many forms, what it does to the living, and the overwhelming importance of continuing to love as it is the most redemptive aspect of human nature. They are a warning against bigotry, lust for power, and racism. One of the most significant themes in the series is having to choose between what is right and what is easy.I can go on and on.

Edited by Noctis

Just for the heck of it (and to stimulate my brain cause I'm still buzzing from last night):

Beyond its facade of magical illusion and its flagrant display of the triumph of lightness over darkness, the Harry Potter series allegorically portrays the harsh ramifications of a society based on the prejudiced view of a hierarchical ordering of humankind to apply the Darwinian concept of "survival of the fittest" to a systematic concept of racial or statistical superiority that permeates through the novels' heavy metaphor of "pure blood" dominance in a wizarding world whose prejudices parallel the very realistic societal conflicts that have plagued humankind since the dawn of agrarian-based civilization. The series uses allusions to historically significant events, like the Holocaust, that have demonstrated the brutality and unjustice that accompanies the elitist view of a human caste system based on blood, and it attempts to enlighten us to the harsh reality of the piteous state of any society that advocates such a system of segregation that allows for potentially riotous or genocidal conflict to overwhelm a preexsting system of justice.

Posted Image

If you want to continue calling him an idiot, then your warn level will go up. Plain and simple. :)

I've been called worse in which you just ignore so until you warn others aswell as me, I will continue to post the way i like. If he carries on acting like an idiot and you, like usuall decide to ignore it, i will continue calling him one, plain and simple.

Potter, above all, is a tale of how to deal with death in its many forms, what it does to the living, and the overwhelming importance of continuing to love as it is the most redemptive aspect of human nature. They are a warning against bigotry, lust for power, and racism. One of the most significant themes in the series is having to choose between what is right and what is easy.I can go on and on.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think us bigger, and better, LOTR or HP???

I've been called worse in which you just ignore so until you warn others aswell as me, I will continue to post the way i like. If he carries on acting like an idiot and you, like usuall decide to ignore it, i will continue calling him one, plain and simple.

Then you won't last long here bud. Look I don't make the rules here but I do adhere to them and I am here to enforce them. I will recommend to the mod staff that your warn level increase. And I will also recommend that it will increase at a quicker rate than others since you have blatantly told me that you do care for authority here or the other posters. It will start at 20% and go from there.

Noctis is entitled to his opinion of Potter. But what gets him into these battles is that he states it as if it is apodictic. Your opinion is one thing, the facts are another. ;)

Just for the heck of it (and to stimulate my brain cause I'm still buzzing from last night):Beyond its facade of magical illusion and its flagrant display of the triumph of lightness over darkness, the Harry Potter series allegorically portrays the harsh ramifications of a society based on the prejudiced view of a hierarchical ordering of humankind to apply the Darwinian concept of "survival of the fittest" to a systematic concept of racial or statistical superiority that permeates through the novels' heavy metaphor of "pure blood" dominance in a wizarding world whose prejudices parallel the very realistic societal conflicts that have plagued humankind since the dawn of agrarian-based civilization. The series uses allusions to historically significant events, like the Holocaust, that have demonstrated the brutality and unjustice that accompanies the elitist view of a human caste system based on blood, and it attempts to enlighten us to the harsh reality of the piteous state of any society that advocates such a system of segregation that allows for potentially riotous or genocidal conflict to overwhelm a preexsting system of justice.

My rebuttal: Voldemort and the Death Eaters are just a modern take on Nazism and eugenics, which has been a major literary well for writers since 1945, so, nothing really in the modern relevance department compared to the PT's depiction of the death of democracy by popuar demand.Anyone today can write a story about race/ethnic/blood-based bigotry and everyone will nod their head and go "yep that's bad" because it's been drilled into popular subconcious for almost 70 years. Is it a good theme, sure, but it's not that hard to use and evoke emotions with and doesn't bring anything new to the table.

Then you won't last long here bud. Look I don't make the rules here but I do adhere to them and I am here to enforce them. I will recommend to the mod staff that your warn level increase. And I will also recommend that it will increase at a quicker rate than others since you have blatantly told me that you do care for authority here or the other posters. It will start at 20% and go from there.

How long does it usually take for the warn level to go back to zero? Edited by lab276