mahnamahna

Movie That Should Be Re-Rated PG-13, PG or G

what age of child? I would say anyone about eight and older could probably see the movie and read the book. 

No. Its themes are enough to keep it off limits for me. There's no reason kids need to ponder them.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Ware Rabbit should be PG instead of G, way too scary for young children

What?? I watched it before I was 10 and I did just fine. It's no worse than any classic Disney film as far as scariness goes. It deserves its G rating.

Very few animated films from this century deserve a PG. Here's a scant few:

1. Shrek
  2. Osmosis Jones 
  3. Shrek 2
  4. Spirited Away 
  5. Howl's Moving Castle
  6. Corpse Bride
  7. A Christmas Carol (is this technically animated?) 
  8. Fantastic Mr. Fox
  9. Coraline 
  10. Rango 
  11. The Adventures of Tintin 

The rest should be G, going by what used to get a G rating. I'm not counting adult-skewed animation (Persepolis, Beowulf, Simpsons Movie, etc) for obvious reasons

Edited by mahnamahna

Honestly, no one checks what theater you go into... you could pay for one film and walk into another. As long as they get your money and you're not sneaking into IMAX or 3D on a regular 2D ticket  ;)

That's true. I can just as easily purchase kid or senior tickets and they wouldn't be the wiser for it.

They really need to reconsider the swearing rule, it seems kind of silly to say people under 17 can't see this movie without supervision when kids these days are letting out worse before they're even in 4th grade.

One could argue that the film maker puts the F bombs in there so as to keep the kids out of the theater period so the adults could watch the movie in peace. Sure, kids can sneak in or be acompanied by an adult, but they are also more likely to keep quiet and stay off of their phones knowing they really aren't supposed to be in there.

Foxcatcher probably could've been PG-13. Don't recall much foul language and Selma was more violent as a whole.

True, but I'm guessing the scene in which Du Pont and Mark snort coke on the helicopter was enough on its own to secure the R. Additionally, as brief as the violence was, it was also presented in a pretty visceral manner.

I always felt Spider-Man should have been PG. There's barely any language at all (very mild at that), no nudity (Dunst nipples in the rain doesn't count), and the violence is so stylized it's practically lifted from a cartoon. Hell, the only thing I can think about from the entire film that was PG-13 worthy was Goblin getting impaled by his glider. Everything else is so PG you'd figure it would compensate. 

I always felt Spider-Man should have been PG. There's barely any language at all (very mild at that), no nudity (Dunst nipples in the rain doesn't count), and the violence is so stylized it's practically lifted from a cartoon. Hell, the only thing I can think about from the entire film that was PG-13 worthy was Goblin getting impaled by his glider. Everything else is so PG you'd figure it would compensate. 

the final fight with the Goblin is pretty brutal so I can understand a  PG-13 rating. Also, the attempted rape scene of Mary Jane and the first scientist that Goblin kills.  But Spider-Man 2 and 3 can easily be PG 

Edited by John Marston

That scene when Goblin reduced the board members of Oscorp to bones with the pumpkin bomb freaked out some kids in South Africa.

It was stylized but it was a bit shocking.

Edited by Deathlife

Killer Joe shouldn't be NC-17. It's a sick brutal movie but i personally don't feel it warrants the NC-17 rating.

Blue Valentine absolutely had no reason to be awarded NC-17. I mean, come on...

Edited by Deathlife

I can totally see Jaws getting re rated R. It is actually a lot more gory than a lot of R rated creature features. 

movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark,  Temple of Doom, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, and Top Gun would probably be re rated PG-13 if going through a re rating

Edited by John Marston

Into the Woods should have been rated PG-13. I can't see a child under 13 "getting" that movie, and most of the subtexts, even in the softer film version, are well above PG level.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to call it a PG-13, but it was so awkward sitting in a theatre on Christmas Day with a sellout audience that was about half-families who clearly had no idea what was coming. It's more a case of the material not suiting some of the audience than the MPAA getting the rating wrong.