Olive

Tuesday numbers: Godzilla 7m,Neighbors 2.6m,TASM2 1.4m(Rth)

HBO archive shows are now on Amazon Prime. Sopranos, The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, the first season of Boardwalk Empire and others. Going to start a "First 3 seasons of The Wire" marathon soon  :P

Rome is where its at. But I have HBO To Go which offers the same thing.
  • Like 1

Rome is where its at. But I have HBO To Go which offers the same thing.

YES.

Rome is one of HBO's finest, which automatically makes it one of TV's finest. Too bad it was short lived.

• Like 2

YES.

Rome is one of HBO's finest, which automatically makes it one of TV's finest. Too bad it was short lived.

2 seasons. I guess the ratings went downhill. First season was ridiculous though. Woot! 

2 seasons. I guess the ratings went downhill. First season was ridiculous though. Woot! 

It wasn't so much that the ratings were bad, more that the show was too ridiculously expensive to justify.

I ship Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo forever.

• Like 1

RE: HBO's ROME

The pilot episode alone was $10m and that was a decade ago. It was a massively expensive show as sets were built to a crazy scale. Then S1 got mediocre ratings, enough to justify canceling it. And then in 2005 something happened that to my knowledge had never happened before and became something of a harbinger. The DVD sales went through the roof. It sat atop the sales charts for months. HBO had already struck most of the sets and some cast members were iffy to return cause they were looking at or had started other projects. S2 began with smaller sets and most of the cast was able to come back but HBO couldn't still, in '07 give the show runners enough foresight to know if they would just get this season or more. Midway through S2 they told them they would be axed again. So they compressed some outlier S3 concepts into the last 4 episodes of S2 which set up the Jews as bigger players. 

Long after the showrunner is on record as saying he'd envisioned a 5yr run with the 5th year having the birth of the Christ child. 

I'm too tired/lazy to google it but the links are out there. 

• Like 2

It wasn't so much that the ratings were bad, more that the show was too ridiculously expensive to justify.

I ship Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo forever.

Those two, lol. :lol:  They were fantastic. 

Mark Antony /James Purefoy  :wub:

I loved the whole cast Ciaran Hinds, Polly Walker, Lindsay Duncan. 

I didn't know what happened to the show. I remember I was so disappointed when it didn't come back. 

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 1

RE: HBO's ROME

The pilot episode alone was $10m and that was a decade ago. It was a massively expensive show as sets were built to a crazy scale. Then S1 got mediocre ratings, enough to justify canceling it. And then in 2005 something happened that to my knowledge had never happened before and became something of a harbinger. The DVD sales went through the roof. It sat atop the sales charts for months. HBO had already struck most of the sets and some cast members were iffy to return cause they were looking at or had started other projects. S2 began with smaller sets and most of the cast was able to come back but HBO couldn't still, in '07 give the show runners enough foresight to know if they would just get this season or more. Midway through S2 they told them they would be axed again. So they compressed some outlier S3 concepts into the last 4 episodes of S2 which set up the Jews as bigger players. 

Long after the showrunner is on record as saying he'd envisioned a 5yr run with the 5th year having the birth of the Christ child. 

I'm too tired/lazy to google it but the links are out there. 

Wow. Thanks Captain Craig. Didn't know all of that. 

• Like 1

It wasn't the ratings, it was the expenses. Season 1 was co-funded by the BBC network and it cost over $100 million because so much of the show was shot on location in Italy, which was incredibly pricey. The BBC pulled out in-between Seasons 1 and 2 and HBO was very reluctant to foot the entire bill on its own, so as Season 2 began production they pulled the plug, forcing Season 2 to cover 14 years of history (over half of it in the final 3 episodes alone). A couple years later, with DVD sales being insane, HBO essentially gave a mea culpa and said in hindsight they should have kept the show.

The show was good, but it covered too much time too fast. Season 1 should have ended with Pharsalus or Pompey's murder, Season 2 with Caesar's assassination, etc.

It wasn't the ratings, it was the expenses. Season 1 was co-funded by the BBC network and it cost over $100 million because so much of the show was shot on location in Italy, which was incredibly pricey. The BBC pulled out in-between Seasons 1 and 2 and HBO was very reluctant to foot the entire bill on its own, so as Season 2 began production they pulled the plug, forcing Season 2 to cover 14 years of history (over half of it in the final 3 episodes alone). A couple years later, with DVD sales being insane, HBO essentially gave a mea culpa and said in hindsight they should have kept the show.

The show was good, but it covered too much time too fast. Season 1 should have ended with Pharsalus or Pompey's murder, Season 2 with Caesar's assassination, etc.

Thanks Numbers.