Rorschach

Writing Styles

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to write my movies. Not that I don't know how I'm going to. I just want to hear the writing styles that you guys usually use. It would mean the world to me as it could give me a better idea of how successfully I can write my stories. Maybe give me an example of where I can find it maybe. I don't know, just need a bit of inspiration.

I personally think I write really dully :lol: The one thing I do think I write well are action sequences; look up either CN+LN vs. GIANT SPIDERS or Santa Claus to see how to structure good fights. Otherwise, I kinda suck :lol:

In terms of general presentation, since you are writing a story summary the best overall style is to be clear, concise, and matter-of-fact for the majority of what you write.

This would change depending on the kind of film you have. For example more surrealistic film would probably need a more descriptive style that's also fluid without telling too much.

Since you're just starting out, don't be clever or ambitious in how you write, save that for the content of the plots themselves.

• Like 2

In terms of general presentation, since you are writing a story summary the best overall style is to be clear, concise, and matter-of-fact for the majority of what you write. This would change depending on the kind of film you have. For example more surrealistic film would probably need a more descriptive style that's also fluid without telling too much. Since you're just starting out, don't be clever or ambitious in how you write, save that for the content of the plots themselves.

My hero :D

i use of a lot of 'We,' such as we see or we turn to. I also do a lot of camera descriptions; in the one I'm working on right now, I'll say for example the camera looks through the window of the ATC tower. And then I'll say like the camera cuts to onto the tarmac and etc. 

I also love description and I do do a decent amount of dialogue. I basically write as I would speak; I wouldn't write as I would write an academic essay. 

You'll notice a lot of films have plot summaries on Wikipedia. My approach is to do something similar, but include more detail in dialogue and scenes. I tend to be fairly concise, so my films aren't often as long as those of other players.

Oh and I tend to focus a lot on the introduction. My introductions are probably the longest in terms of words written to minutes of film. I generally believe that if you are sufficiently descriptive in the beginning, you will bring your reader into the film which allows you to be concise for the rest of the film, but still not lose the immersiveness, visuals and impact of your screenplay. 

One massive tip: Remember to have good grammar

That is key. I remember giving Careful Laid Plans a bad review because I thought it was unreadable... After some thought, though, I ended up voting it first for Best Picture. It matters at the beginning, while you read the plot, not after, but it's a key.

I also tend to be very, very descriptive when I begin a movie. As riczhang said, that's the hook.

Based on my experience, you should include lots of information, but not try and make it overly descriptive. It's essentially like a SparkNotes summary with more soul rather than blatant descriptions of what's going on. You usually want a third person objective point of view unless you're diving into one of the character's thoughts.

Based on my experience, you should include lots of information, but not try and make it overly descriptive. It's essentially like a SparkNotes summary with more soul rather than blatant descriptions of what's going on. You usually want a third person objective point of view unless you're diving into one of the character's thoughts.

That seems very helpful. Sparknotes have helped me in the past, they'll help me again ^_^

To make things interesting, I like to vary my movies based on my level of wanting to write them is. Just to make things a little more interesting and not so I'm always kicking myself when I fail. But then again, that's just me.