#ED

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

138 members have voted

1. 1. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014

X-Men: Days of Future Past. I have not enjoyed a super-hero movie as much as this since Christopher Nolans the Dark Knight. This movie shines in a number of aspects in particularly some amazing action scenes, stellar visual effects, solid acting and a serviceable story. This is a crowd pleaser and you do not have to have seen any of the previous X-Men movies to enjoy it, although it does help some references.This is definitely the best X-Men movie and one of the best blockbusters of recent memory.

A

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 3

X-Men: Days of Future Past. I have not enjoyed a super-hero movie as much as this since Christopher Nolans the Dark Knight. This movie shines in a number of aspects in particularly some amazing action scenes, stellar visual effects, solid acting and a serviceable story. This is a crowd pleaser and you do not have to have seen any of the previous X-Men movies to enjoy it, although it does help some references.This is definitely the best X-Men movie and one of the best blockbusters of recent memory.

A

Are you a fan of X-series?

How do you rank the previous X-movies?

Very dark, entertaining and great movie overall. Strong performances from the lead cast (especially McAvoy and Fassbender). I was worried about the movie at first because of the timeline issue but as the movie progresses it is actually easy to follow. I also noticed a lot of reference from the previous X-men movies especially First Class. I just wish I have known more about the future mutants (Blink, Sunspot, and Bishop). Best X-men movie so far. 
  • Like 1

Awesome. Would rate it A. I would still say I like FC and X2 more than this but this was very good in its own. Pace is unrelenting and there are great set pieces. Quicksilver scenes were brilliant and also Magneto uprooting the stadium and putting in over white house. Acting is overall great and I liked new characters( Quicksilver, Blink and Trask). Only grouse is Fassbender doesn't get enough time to shine as primary focus is on Wolverine and JLaw. 

Its hard to compare this to Cap2 as they are different movies and I really liked both of them. After 1st view I will give slight edge to Cap2.

Great action scenes, Qicksilver, Wolverine is cool again but... the rest between action is quite boring. And I didn't like that 

fuck last 14 years

ending.

6.5/10

X1 - 10/10, X2 - 9/10, X3 - 6.5/10, W1 - 5/10, W2 - 3.5/10, FC - 7.5/10

• Like 1

Great action scenes, Qicksilver, Wolverine is cool again but... the rest between action is quite boring. And I didn't like that 

fuck last 14 years

ending. 6.5/10 X1 - 10/10, X2 - 9/10, X3 - 6.5/10, W1 - 5/10, W2 - 3.5/10, FC - 7.5/10

It wasn't just the ending. The whole movie set up a new timeline. Pretty much what Star Trek did. You even have Wolverine as Spock. They even had a nice little nod to Star Trek.
  • Like 4

Jumbled thoughts.

- All the mutants in this movie get something to do and the ones that don't still feel like they matter to the whole struggle of these mutants. It's the first X-Men film in which I cared about the X-Men as individuals and as a collective entity. It was funny to see someone of Halle Berry's caliber be given like three lines for a whole film, but I still believe this character.

- This may be Bryan Singer's best movie since Usual Suspects. It's easily his strongest installment in this series, largely because he seemed to just focus on what interested him. It often feels like a comic book coming to life, but nothing feels like empty spectacle. The action is character-oriented or motivated, whether it's McAvoy or Fassbender or Jackman or JLaw or any of the film's remarkable ensemble. The stakes of each scene are always clear, even if the ultimate timelines don't make much sense. Plot elements are simple and contained within the world of this movie, even though it draws from the mythology of the last four to six X-Men films (christ). 

- The Sentinels aren't particularly interesting but I don't know if there's a way of making them more interesting without drawing time away from other things. Peter Dinklage works with his character, but part of me wishes he chewed the scenery a little more. Both get their job done.

- There's no way I'm liking Avengers' Quicksilver more than this one. He was used too memorably and effectively here. 

- I thought it was really cute that there was only one scene in which Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart were at all separated. 

- The urgency doesn't seem there in much of the film, even though the characters are working fine and the stakes are established. But I think that all the odds seem stacked against this narrative and the fact that it mostly works is more than enough for me. 

- I'm done with post-credit sequences. They just seem empty and inaccessible to me.

- If they do away with McKellen/Stewart and the old crew in the next film, will Hugh Jackman's Wolverine be our last living link to the comic book film world pre-Iron Man? That would be very fitting character-wise. 

- Go see this movie. You'll enjoy it. There's lots to like. 

• Like 19

Jumbled thoughts.

- All the mutants in this movie get something to do and the ones that don't still feel like they matter to the whole struggle of these mutants. It's the first X-Men film in which I cared about the X-Men as individuals and as a collective entity. It was funny to see someone of Halle Berry's caliber be given like three lines for a whole film, but I still believe this character.

- This may be Bryan Singer's best movie since Usual Suspects. It's easily his strongest installment in this series, largely because he seemed to just focus on what interested him. It often feels like a comic book coming to life, but nothing feels like empty spectacle. The action is character-oriented or motivated, whether it's McAvoy or Fassbender or Jackman or JLaw or any of the film's remarkable ensemble. The stakes of each scene are always clear, even if the ultimate timelines don't make much sense. Plot elements are simple and contained within the world of this movie, even though it draws from the mythology of the last four to six X-Men films (christ). 

- The Sentinels aren't particularly interesting but I don't know if there's a way of making them more interesting without drawing time away from other things. Peter Dinklage works with his character, but part of me wishes he chewed the scenery a little more. Both get their job done.

- There's no way I'm liking Avengers' Quicksilver more than this one. He was used too memorably and effectively here. 

- I thought it was really cute that there was only one scene in which Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart were at all separated. 

- The urgency doesn't seem there in much of the film, even though the characters are working fine and the stakes are established. But I think that all the odds seem stacked against this narrative and the fact that it mostly works is more than enough for me. 

- I'm done with post-credit sequences. They just seem empty and inaccessible to me.

- If they do away with McKellen/Stewart and the old crew in the next film, will Hugh Jackman's Wolverine be our last living link to the comic book film world pre-Iron Man? That would be very fitting character-wise. 

- Go see this movie. You'll enjoy it. There's lots to like. 

Posted Image

I needa see this.

• Like 2

Great, great movie. I need to watch X2 again to be sure, but this might be the best X-men movie. Tired and heading to work and may do a longer review later, but solid A- and will be seeing it again this weekend.

Reposting here. It's more jumbled than Gopher's thoughts

Pink's thoughts broken up into three/four different sections. First starts off completely non spoilerly. The next section goes into general thoughts which impressions that may be considered minor spoilers, but not plot specific. The third part goes into the details of the film. Finally, the fourth part will answer the question to PINK'S HOPES TO SEE CYCLOPS BLAST SOME SENTINELS WATCH. The crowd seemed to enjoy it and 80% stayed for the credits, a good sign. I think in all, this one be the breakout some are hoping for, but it will do well and renew faith in the franchise. Sure, First Class got good reviews, but this is better, and it has Wolverine.

The non-spoilery review:

Posted Image

General Thoughts (Slight spoilers but no major plot details):

I think X2 is still the best. But Days of Future Past is comfortably in second. Singer may not fully embrace all aspects of the X-Men universe, but he wears this baby on his sleeve. Whatever you would call this is, he pulls it off well regardless of his personal dealings.

You know what I really missed? The Singer opening credits with the mutating DNA. DOFP brings that back. And DAT score. Got me super hyped for the movie at the start.

Action scenes are generally quite impressive. Lots of nifty and creative choreography, however, I would agree with those that say there's not a ton of action. I mean, not from what you'd expect from a 200 million + movie that is. This is from the guy who made Superman Returns after all... :lol:

Sentinels are mean as fuck.

All the cast does a good job, though the lone person who still kinda sucks at acting is...

Daniel Cudmore.

We haven't seen Wolverine like this in a while. In The Wolverine, he was kinda mopey, in Origins, I don't know what the fuck that was. And in X3, he was still kinda mopey. So this was a return to the smart ass Wolverine, albeit a little wiser. I greatly enjoyed him.

The Wolverine is literally referenced for one second. But it appears to be canon indeed contrary to belief.

I think Jennifer Lawrence was better, but still not a great fit for the role. Good enough.

Jennifer Lawrence speaking Vietnamese...

Posted Image

Peter Dinklage is an interesting 'villain.' I liked him, but curious they didn't take an angle with him that I figured would have been obvious...and compelling. But perhaps it was too obvious for the writers.

Fuck you Adam Canto and Booboo Stewart haters, Sunspot and Warpath were cool! But...

I still don't know what Warpath's power exactly is.

Blink steals the show out of the new 'future' mutants.

Quiksilver indeed is a highlight of the film. Really really fun.

The Spoilery Stuff:

I'm not sure how I feel about the plotline with Charles losing his powers. It's a really contrived scenario, but I suppose it makes his return a little more welcoming.

I'm also not sure how to feel with Magneto once again going rogue at the end to fuck with our heroes. Stop being a dick every once and a while, man.

Great reference to the First Class cameo.

I know it's weird that I'm saying this, but some of the character deaths had some nice weight to it, even if time resets it all. But seeing them go the way they did...I felt bad.

I wish Ian McKellen had more time to shine. I understand why, but he should have shredded some more Sentinels.

Halle Berry has 5 lines in the movie.

The whole metal claws in the future thing? Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Wolverine never consciously uses his claws in the future and is a moot point overall I feel.

TIME IN A BOTTLE

The bonus clip was neat. But will surely confuse the audience. The CGI was kinda bad too

PINK'S HOPES TO SEE CYCLOPS BLASTING SOME SENTINELS WATCH (PLUS THOUGHTS ON ENDING):

Posted Image

So he didn't blast some Sentinels. Because resetting of time didn't quite work how I thought it would. Not bad all in all.

But he did return. And it was glorious in all seriousness. The ending is an excellent capper to Singer's X-Men trilogy. Seeing the school, seeing Beast (who by the way, his makeup looks worse than X3 I felt), and then a smoking Famke Janssen and then my great love....James Marsden. They even get some playful comments that harken back to X-Men 1 which we were partially robbed of in X2 and completely robbed in X3. Some women and fans might cry there. It's good. It's powerful.

• Like 9