#ED

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

138 members have voted

1. 1. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014

That was pretty good. I love James McAvoy and always know he would be great, but he still wow me in this. There are many good performances all around, but James McAvoy is the ace to me. I love JLaw but I'm rather mixed about her as Mystique.The thing that I like is that it's finally an X-Men movie with Wolverine that doesn't feel like a Wolverine and friends show. There were good balances between characters and great interactions. Actions are pretty good. Visuals were too.The thing I don't like is the overtly expository, with some pretty bad dialogues. And I guess I'll never be a big X-Men fan cause comics or movies, there is always that problem of them being unnecessarily preachy to me. It's a good entry, and great way to reset the mess-up timeline in the X-franchise (even though it left plot holes and unexplained things, I can live with that)I'm looking forward to the next installment.A-/B+

1) He screwed up his age by ten whole years? I mean when he was 17 he was still in high school but he met Eric after he got his Master's. If Xavier's memory is this bad, I think he might be using his powers a little too frequently and needs to get his brain checked ASAP.

2) Yeah, in the "comics" but why would Magneto set aside their differences so he can help X recruit a student for his school? They don't seem to have a single problem in that scene like they have every other time they've been forced to team up (except in the future). I mean sure they can clear it up in the next film but still.

3) If that's the case then I think it robs the whole "Xavier gave up his powers through his walking injection" story. There the "psychological" block is physically represented by a serum. Also stating "he goes from walking to wheelchair based on the plot" is confusing and silly. Also stating "in the comics" is utterly meaningless because these are the films.

4) I'll take he didn't count his first try.

5) Just because the comics can't keep their stories together doesn't mean a film (series) should either.

1) Not the greatest explanation, I agree, but really the only one that makes any sense at all since the age he explains is just completely off.

2) I said in both the films and the comics...in X2 they join forces at least for awhile against the common threat of Stryker. And Apocalypse would represent a threat of the highest order. Due to how they are essentially friends first, enemies second, I don't see a problem with them recruiting mutants together. Like I said, to me this is not an error.

3) I don't see why you can't make this jump. If he's such a powerful psychic and the serum created this belief in him that his powers only work while he's unable to walk, why wouldn't his subconscious create this mental block to protect him? And besides, it may just be the mental block and not the serum that causes him to believe this. It's possibly psycho-symptomatic. And it does matter, because that is the source material for the story or we end up with films like Supergirl, Superman IV, Batman & Robin and Catwoman. Films that ignore the comic and take the characters only at face value.

4) OK ;)

5) I just included that as a humorous aside. For me, growing up with Claremont's X-Men, Singer is doing a fine job of mucking things up while keeping things interesting.

Also, I didn't say these were the definitive answers...just that answers exist. ;)

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 1

just got back from this. I thought it was underwhelming, and I am still not a fan of singer's style (or lack of)

things I liked:

- all the scenes in the future. the future sentinels were badass

- Mcavoy. I've always liked him as an actor and he really excelled in this movie

- quicksilver's big scene. I agree with everyone, this was definitely the highlight of the film. His costume and wig still looks dumb but it makes a bit more sense within the context

things I didn't like:

- the visual aspects. eg the ugly costumes, bland cinematography, fake looking wigs. I should probably be used to it by now but jfc this franchise manages to look extremely cheap despite having such a high budget

- way too much exposition going on. a lot of telling rather than showing

- mystique & young magneto's motivations. It felt weak to me

- some inaccuracies in the time period like that eye scanning thing at the mansion in the 70s? or how strangely futuristic the first sentinels looked. but it's a comic book movie so I didn't let it bother me too much.

overall, I'd give it a 8/10. I enjoyed it, it kept me entertained but it's not something I'd rewatch in theaters.

• Like 1

Quicksilver was an awesome character. Too bad he kind of dissapears in the second act, however.

Anyways, I really dug this. The characters are great, especially with their actors, and they all work very well with what they have. I would have liked to see more of the future X-Men, though, especially Ellen Page. The time travel doesn't give them much to work with, but the 70s focus was absolutely great otherwise.

• Like 2

First X-Men movie I've seen the whole way through and it was excellent. Performances were great, action was exciting. Highlights action-wise go to Quicksilver and Blink. Story was excellent and unusual for the genre, which was nice, even though it didn't really get going until Magneto shot Mystique and overall, it was the first blockbuster this summer that didn't disappoint at all. A+

- Whats the Point of giving Quicksilver the best scene in the movie only to never bring him back,. Why don't they ask him to join, and I hate that one shot of him at the end its a wink like" look we didn't forget".

I was so waiting for him to show up at the end; I thought the quick clip of him was cue for him to show up, but alas, it was just a tease :(

I was so waiting for him to show up at the end; I thought the quick clip of him was cue for him to show up, but alas, it was just a tease :(

I'm happy with the Quicksilver screen time. He had just enough. Any more and he would have crossed the line from entertaining to annoying.

I would have been happy if they traded the near-pointless Vietnam scene for the cut Rogue Rescue Action Sequence.

It's hard to tell without seeing the Rogue scene, but I suspect the former had more relevance character-wise (if not plot-wise) setting up how long Mystique's been working against Trask, along with hinting at Trask's experimenting on mutants and satisfyingly introducing Stryker into the film.

Also, I really wish they'd addressed Riptide's fate in the movie. Yeah, he probably got killed with Emma and Azazel and the rest, but the fact that they never mention him or anything just makes me really hopeful he's still alive. Because damned if he didn't have a really nice suit. 

Really?  Not a X-Men fan or just don't care for the movies?

Just haven't gotten around to them. I've seen most of X-Men 1 on TV (think I missed the first fifteen minutes) and the second half of First Class twice on TV. They're entertaining but I haven't really sought them out

I would have been happy if they traded the near-pointless Vietnam scene for the cut Rogue Rescue Action Sequence.

That scene established Mystique was not just going to kill Trask, and that she was really concerned for her fellow mutants. Not sure what impact on the story a Rogue action sequence would have had.

• Like 2

That scene established Mystique was not just going to kill Trask, and that she was really concerned for her fellow mutants. Not sure what impact on the story a Rogue action sequence would have had.

The last thing we need is Rogue needing rescue again.

Just haven't gotten around to them. I've seen most of X-Men 1 on TV (think I missed the first fifteen minutes) and the second half of First Class twice on TV. They're entertaining but I haven't really sought them out

Oh, okay, I was just a little surprised that you hadn't watched any of the movies all the way through.  The comic genre is one of my favorite to watch on the big screen. 

Thanks

Everything I could say has already been said, but after making sure to watch it twice and let it sit in my mind a few days, I can likely say that I liked this more than Godzilla- or any other summer blockbuster since TDKR. In fact, there's a chance that this is my favorite non-Nolan Batman superhero movie ever. This film is a masterclass in pacing, and it is an exemplary display of a balance between wit, character, and high stakes without the sacrifice of anyone of them. Avengers is fun as hell, so I'm not hating, but in that, all of NYC is destroyed by aliens, and there's not one moment of awe, wonder, levity, or emotional devastation. It's all explosions and RDJ quipping "har har, I'm Iron Man, screw these aliens, let's eat Shawarma." This movie plunges into darkness and devastation without ever losing the sense of humor or fun. Every scene has stakes, and every major character makes you care. And the socio-poitical themes, while basic, continue to be the most fascinating and realistic commentary on how the idea of "superheroes" would really be treated in a non-comic world America. Singer nailed it. 

• Like 1