lilmac

Marvel: Too Big to Fail?

wow, you are just clueless

There is nothing like the MCU in history. Generic? Lol.

This year's 2 movies were CATWS and GOTG. The very definition of generic. Not.

You do realise you talk about 4 movie series that formed this Avengers franchise against the enormous cultural event that HP was and at how the books are selling still is (and for the record, I like SH movies in general liked CA2 this year). Don't even bring in quality because that leads to a total opinion value bust. And yeah, generic: TA is a fad that at some point, when people get tired of 10 SH movies / a year will go away; I'll give you the fact that TA was the first franchise to reunite more SH in one movie - the reason for it's success; ut  if you ask someone, of any age, what he/she knows better (Avengers or HP) he/she will answer the second. Especially the older generations. You don't seem to grasp what an impact these books/movies had (you should read Baumer's thread about it for an idea). But I'll leave you to your fanboyism.

There's going to be a point where people just don't want any more reboots. Is a 3rd Spider-man series going to be a hit? What about X-men 12, or the 3rd reboot of fantastic 4. After 3 avengers, 3 Iron Mans, 3, cap, Thors, and so on do people want to see those rebooted 8 years from now? Not to mention with all these DC movies coming out. There comes a point where it just will be over redundant.

Two words for you : JAMES BOND.

Also, as other members already stated, superhero movies are NOT a genre.Superheroes are just heroes with the super ingredient.There will always be heroes in films, since the dawn of films.Comics have been going on for the last 60 or 70 years and they still exist.

• Like 5

You do realise you talk about 4 movie series that formed this Avengers franchise against the enormous cultural event that HP was and at how the books are selling still is (and for the record, I like SH movies in general liked CA2 this year). Don't even bring in quality because that leads to a total opinion value bust. And yeah, generic: TA is a fad that at some point, when people get tired of 10 SH movies / a year will go away; I'll give you the fact that TA was the first franchise to reunite more SH in one movie - the reason for it's success; ut  if you ask someone, of any age, what he/she knows better (Avengers or HP) he/she will answer the second. Especially the older generations. You don't seem to grasp what an impact these books/movies had (you should read Baumer's thread about it for an idea). But I'll leave you to your fanboyism.

Harry Potter cannot be a dystopic political action romp like CA2. It cannot be a space opera comedy like GOTG. It cannot be a heist movie like Ant-Man.

Harry Potter is limited to one genre, fantasy. MCU can be anything it wants thanks for characters that can be flavored through different genres.

Generic's definition means that it is defined and confined by one genre. MCU at the core cannot be qualified as "generic" because it spans over different genres whereas HP can be narrowed down to one genre.  You can bend that like a criticism as in "those movies are generic imo" because Marvel wants its shared universe to be homogenic (in terms of direction for hence) nevertheless they aren't generic by the strict definition of the term.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 4

I don't care that Marvel is gonna pass Potter with its 11th or 12th film. 

Potter had 8 movies that came out between 2001-2011 and did $7.7b worldwide with only the last film being in 3D. 

MCU will pass Potter by its 11th or 12th film despite all coming out much later than Potter (years of inflation), and 7 of them being in 3D. 

Potter will remain the most popular. 

• Like 4

Wow, I don't even know where to begin with all the misstatements and fallacies in this post.

So I'll just leave it at this: I don't think you know what the word "generic" means.

• Like 1

Wow, I don't even know where to begin with all the misstatements and fallacies in this post.

So I'll just leave it at this: I don't think you know what the word "generic" means.

Yeah, I misused the word. Gotta check my english better next time. I can accept that. The idea was that of heartless blockbuster with one-dimensional characters (not all, but most) and a severe lack of depth.
And what fallacies? LOL. That HP is and was more influential and culturally important than Avengers ever will? That the quality of the movies and themes approached is superior? That is much more well known by the general population than Avengers is or will be? These are just facts.
  • Like 1

Potter had 8 movies that came out between 2001-2011 and did $7.7b worldwide with only the last film being in 3D. 

MCU will pass Potter by its 11th or 12th film despite all coming out much later than Potter (years of inflation), and 7 of them being in 3D. 

Juggernaut surpasses Harry in 3 movies at the bo..  How incredible is that!

The number of superhero movies coming out between 2015-2017 is insane but 1) if there is continuing audience demand and 2) quality is high for most of them, then perhaps saturation isn't so bad.  

When was the last outright superhero movie dud?  

Green Lantern and TASM 2 come to mind but they did make back their budget.

Edited by lilmac

You do know yur talkng crzy. Dc and marvvel dominate hp in ever way. Hp is simply too young a franchise and many of marvel films dominate hp in film quality well.HP is stillinthe top 5 greatest francisess of all time.

This makes absolutely no sense. 

This makes absolutely no sense. +

I suggest you  consult the history  books on marvel's impact on over 6

generations across the world. Pls dont make us hp fans look crazy. Marvel could

with the mouse's  vast infastructure  go on to make over 300b and thats just

over a 10-15 yr period.

Hp and Lotr brands even combined never had this potential. Avengers alone will

surpass Hp in 5 films at the bo and the merchandising will dwarf Hp's in 2-yrs!1 Amazing. Took hp francise almost 2 decades to amass a total revenue of 18b. Marvel willl pass

that number in 3-4 more years. Popularity you say of HP vs  Marvel/Disney? .lo.l

Whats amazing is  Avengers , Ironman all will beat Hp. And Marvel is   just barely pulling from its 5000 character catalogue.

Whats amazing is  Avengers , Ironman all will beat Hp. And Marvel is   just barely pulling from its 5000 character catalogue.

Not to mention all these characters were exclusively Marvel B-Listers and below who have now been transformed into A-Listers.

Edited by Spidey Freak