Robot308

Can January/February & September/October End The Dumping Ground Off Season Cursed? I Hope So

January/February have become less of a dead zone the last several years due to appealing product being released. For example, the box office boon that went on for several months in early 2009 after a relatively soft Holiday 2008.

Studios have also started putting some Oscar contenders into wide release in January (Gran Torino, Lone Survivor, Zero Dark Thirty, etc).

Agreed, pre-2009... January-February never had much of anything. Then Taken, Paul Blart and Gran Torino all gross $140 million+ DOM... everything changes  :lol:

• Like 1

Studios have also started putting some Oscar contenders into wide release in January (Gran Torino, Lone Survivor, Zero Dark Thirty, etc).

Agreed, pre-2009... January-February never had much of anything. Then Taken, Paul Blart and Gran Torino all gross $140 million+ DOM... everything changes  :lol:

American Sniper Will fit that spot very well

Who thinks moving Goosebumps from Summer 2015 to Spring 2016 was a good idea. Anyone????

I personally don't like that they moved it (just because I have to wait longer to see it), but financially it could go either way. It was opening against F4 in August, now it's sandwiched in between BvS and CW. It won't have the summer weekdays that August would give it, and from what I know, it's in April. April usually can have 1-2 big hits, so they're is definitely potential in this date.
  • Like 1

I personally don't like that they moved it (just because I have to wait longer to see it), but financially it could go either way. It was opening against F4 in August, now it's sandwiched in between BvS and CW. It won't have the summer weekdays that August would give it, and from what I know, it's in April. April usually can have 1-2 big hits, so they're is definitely potential in this date.

Sony may had thought that Goosebumps would get crushed badly in August up against FF4 (Reboot) & The Man From UNCLE. Plus Sony Has Pixels covering there Summer 2015 line-up

• Like 1

I get the maze runner sequel is going to get a bigger opening weekend with $53M, $163M DOM & $309M WW

That would be fantastic for it to increase like that in America, but why so low WW? The first film grosses 340, so why would it decrease over 90M OS?

Maybe you meant 409...? If so that's fine, I mess up on numbers and math all the time :P

• Like 1

January/February (Winter), March/April (Spring), August (Summer), & October (Fall) & Soon September Also a (Fall) Month are changing there box office way as they will no longer carry the dumping ground name thanks to hollywood be more comfortable moving there stuff in the slower months of the year.

Edited by Masterwolf

January, February, March & April. For now on The Summer movie season starts in the beginning of the year. not in the first Friday in May anymore

Yes because the next 3 weeks are full of blockbusters... $200M incoming for Paul Blart and Unfriended is looking for that leggy Oscar-type run. I cant even tell you whats coming out next week, but itll definately take #1 from Fast 7.

April is still a dump, January is still a dump, February isnt much of dump, but still has a hard time matching Janury thanks to Xmas releases.

MLK is a good weekend now, Presidents Day is good, Easter is a good weekend (but isnt always in April), and March is hit or miss. Yes we had ~$200M Cinderella this year and the breakout of Home, but this March is still a fail attendance wise. May is still the summer start and always will be.

We will get more blockbusters in late March/early April, and January and February will get more love, especially Febraury with animation, but theyll still be dumping grounds for the majority. AS's January record will stand for a long time and Shades February one wont be easy to match, $85M is damn high. Count on Furious 7's being locked pretty much forever, unless they move up Infinity War a week.

You guys are letting these recent hits cloud your judgement, Its a few good hits surrounded by a bunch of crap. Kingsman, Spongebob, Shades, Paddington, and Sniper broke out during the winter, but we also had a nice amount of bombs. As long as people keep saying April is some monster month, I will continue to roll my eyes. No April has even passed $800M total...so please stop.

• Like 1

Yeah I don't get the sayings that Summer is starting earlier. Sure you can release a big budget tentpole in April and it'll be successful, but April will never be packed with 5 or 6 100m films like the summer months.

Yeah I don't get the sayings that Summer is starting earlier. Sure you can release a big budget tentpole in April and it'll be successful, but April will never be packed with 5 or 6 100m films like the summer months.

2017:

GitS

PAC RIM 2

Ferdindad

Universal Monster movie

Still has more to come.

2017:

GitS

PAC RIM 2

Ferdindad

Universal Monster movie

Still has more to come.

Dracula untold made 50m

Pacific Rim one barely made 100m

We know nothing about Ferdinand or Ghost in the Shell.

And compare Aprils overall line up to a summer line up or November or December's line up, they're going to the be the tentpoles that aren't big enough to compete in the big months.

You'll have your BvS and such sure, but March is never going to be July unless July is barren like 2014.

Edited by The Panda