#ED

Sun#s pg 230...Wknd Est: DOFP: 91M, Godzilla - 31.4M, Blended - 14.2M , NB - 13.9M [NO SPOILERS]

Sequel to Godzilla has no novelty. It will just be him fighting Another monster. It's guaranteed to decrease

Plus they won't be able to sell it as a disaster movie where Godzilla destroys everything. People now know the truth. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Its the first mainstream Godzilla film in sixteen years.

And that's one reason people have treated it as an event movie they're interested in seeing. If they put out a sequel within the next few years, it's very unlikely they'll look at it the same way. There is no indication so far that a sequel would be a bigger performer domestically. Overseas, maybe.

• Like 1

X-Men is more front loaded.

I do not think that, FF6 is more, we see that he had bad legs but great public acceptance.

Yeah, I remember back in 2006 when Last Stand made 45+ on Friday ... people were almost certain it could break 114.8 ... and it only did 102.7.  Like Potter, MONSTER front-loading both for OW and entire run.

If X-men 3 was better movie it would has people seeing it again in saturday or sunday...

• Like 1

The Blended number :rofl: Time for Grown Ups 3.

Dat X-Men. I am hoping for biggest OD and OW of the year, and hopefully over 100M in the 3 day. This is crazy year. Spider-Man opening with less than Captain America, Godzilla and X-Men. And X-Men will open over 100M. Insane.

• Like 1

I definitely agree here. I personally liked Godzilla for the most part, but I don't think the "franchise" will be this big again for a long time. These movies feel like one-and-done events that can successfully duplicate blockbuster success once every half-generation or so.

I mean sci-fi movies in general have a hard time doing good box office wise, with exceptions to a few. It's great Godzilla had a good OW, but that's just a small battle. Studios are more concerned with how the film holds up throughout the weeks rather than just looking at the first week. It's not how you start but how you finish, which Godzilla looks like it's going to fail to do. With a 93M OW, I think the studio would be dissapointed if it had low legs, like 2.2 or so, just putting it at 200M. Not only that, but it's a double edge sword when looking at legs, because poor legs could affect the sequel. I agree, looking at reviews from people, it's mixed. I don't think the GA will flock to the sequel like they did here.

• Like 2

God ... this film may propel 2016 to even more ridiculous levels.  Spider-Man is gonna get absolutely DEMOLISHED following Cap 3, Batman v Superman and a sequel to this film Memorial Day 2016.  O/U 150 for Spider-Man 3 at this point.

Posted Image

Good riddance, the ASM franchise is the poster boy for soulless corporate film making.

• Like 2

You think they're gonna move it, because it's set for June 10, 2016 for now.

Yup. I'm pretty sure they will move TASM3 following the TASM2 domestic performance. In fact I think it will be a soft reboot since most of the players from TASM1 and 2 are no longer on the table. MJ, JJJ, Eddie Brock etc. will be brought in and it will feel like a new start. They may put together a lower budget movie in between like Sinister Six or Venom.

And that's one reason people have treated it as an event movie they're interested in seeing. If they put out a sequel within the next few years, it's very unlikely they'll look at it the same way. There is no indication so far that a sequel would be a bigger performer domestically. Overseas, maybe.

Yes, but I think there's still sequel potential, especially from a storytelling perspective.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

Oh for fuck sakes, what truth CJohn?? What truth??? That there's no room for improvement on a sequel and that people won't see it???

I am pretty sure you did not read my post correctly.

Oh for fuck sakes, what truth CJohn?? What truth??? That there's no room for improvement on a sequel and that people won't see it???

I think we're just saying that the movie Godzilla is a type of movie where it's just one and done, it's not really the type of movie for multiple films :) Especially, to put on top of that it was a mixed reception to this one, you're looking at about half coming to see the sequel if all decide too.

If X-men 3 was better movie it would has people seeing it again in saturday or sunday...

But it's not just an X3 thing (plus in 2006, not quite as much social media front and center as today for word of mouth), Wolverine, First Class, Origins, even X2 had pretty much similar ratios of 2.5x opening day.  It's just what X-Men is and always has been.  We'll see if the reaction to this film changes that.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Yes, but I think there's sequel potential.

Of course. No argument there. That's the advantage, because they have a chance to make a really good sequel that has lower expectations going into it.

• Like 1

The Blended number :rofl: Time for Grown Ups 3.

Dat X-Men. I am hoping for biggest OD and OW of the year, and hopefully over 100M in the 3 day. This is crazy year. Spider-Man opening with less than Captain America, Godzilla and X-Men. And X-Men will open over 100M. Insane.

Mockingjay says hello

V 36-39

“X-Men: Days of Future Past” is surging at the Friday box office, with initial tracking suggesting it could hit $36 million-$39 million in its first full day of release.

There’s a range of numbers out there, but some estimates suggest that the picture could take $120 million over the four-day Memorial Day holiday. Others are more conservative, predicting a debut of roughly $105 million.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/x-men-days-of-future-past-could-hit-120-million-over-holiday-weekend-1201190573/

Edited by a2k