Neo

The Sony Pictures Thread | Happy 100th anniversary to Columbia Pictures!

Paul Greengrass and Tom Hanks’ Somali Pirate Movie, Salim Akil’s ‘Sparkle’ Remake Get Release Dates

Briefly: Sony has just announced release dates for two very different projects I’d very nearly forgotten about. Variety reports that Paul Greengrass‘ reality-based Somali pirate tale Captain Phillips is now slated for a March 22, 2013 opening, while Salim Akil‘s music-themed drama Sparkle will hit August 10, 2012.

Sony have had a good year considering like last year they had no real tentpoles. The Smurfs was a smash hit while they continued their strategy of low cost films such as Bad Teacher which managed to do good business on a $20m budget, Adam Sandler provided them with a hit in Just Go With It and a dissapointment in Jack and Jill, Arthur Christmas, their first collaboration with Aardman has dissapointed domestically but seems to be fairing well OS. Another success was Tintin which they share with Paramount and should ensure a sequel. The last release of the year is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which I think will do well especially overseas where the books are extremely popular.Next year they have some major tentpoles with Men in Black III, The Amazing Spider-Man and Skyfall. They also have the return of Ghost Rider and Resident Evil as well as two animated films in The Pirates! and Hotel Transylvania and remakes of Total Recall and 21 Jump Street.

Sony have had a good year considering like last year they had no real tentpoles. The Smurfs was a smash hit while they continued their strategy of low cost films such as Bad Teacher which managed to do good business on a $20m budget, Adam Sandler provided them with a hit in Just Go With It and a dissapointment in Jack and Jill, Arthur Christmas, their first collaboration with Aardman has dissapointed domestically but seems to be fairing well OS. Another success was Tintin which they share with Paramount and should ensure a sequel. The last release of the year is The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo which I think will do well especially overseas where the books are extremely popular.Next year they have some major tentpoles with Men in Black III, The Amazing Spider-Man and Skyfall. They also have the return of Ghost Rider and Resident Evil as well as two animated films in The Pirates! and Hotel Transylvania and remakes of Total Recall and 21 Jump Street.

Sony will be big next year.

Next year it will also be about the Sparkle remake and Whitney Houston's return to the big screen after 16 years. The woman in 1996 became the 2nd highest paid actress of all-time when she got paid 10 million (I believe at that time Demi Moore was first with 12 million), and her 3 motion pictures as a lead actress (The Bodyguard, Waiting to Exhale and The Preacher's Wife) have grossed on AVERAGE 146 million adjusted per movie domestically. She also did the tv movie Cinderella which broke tv ratings. She was scheduled to star next with Will Smith in Anything For You but unfortunately her personal life thanks to her loser husband became a mess.

But today she's looking as stunning and healthy as ever, and I'm so happy that she's picking up her movie career in good fashion. She also produced through her production company Brownhouse The Princess Diaries 1 & 2, both major hits for Disney. Anyways, I don't expect Sparkle (which she's also executive producing) to be as big as her movies in the 90's, but with its small budget probably around 15 million, it will definitely be one of Sony's most profitable movies of 2012. And after Sparkle she's scheduled to do another movie Getting to Happy which is the sequel to Waiting to Exhale, which will probably be released sometime in 2013. That should be an even bigger hit. Of course there's also the soundtracks! Anyways if you haven't noticed I'm excited. B) But I'll try to control myself and wait to start a Sparkle thread until the trailer is released.

Edited by wboxoffice